Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 12:05AM Utakata said

@Rheem

Well, don't read the internet. Go do something you enjoy. Because as long as there is the internet there will always be negativity. With lots of other things too, both positive and negative,...but I digress. Negativity will always exist on the internet like bad things always happens in life. /shrug

Posted: Jan 21st 2012 10:08PM (Unverified) said

I'm just glad that I got in the beta a couple months back. I'm predicting a delay to at least mid-Q2 over the major systems changes and push for a console release.

Posted: Jan 21st 2012 10:17PM Eamil said

Maybe he got a better offer with a different company.

Dev turnover in the game industry isn't exactly unusual.

Posted: Jan 21st 2012 10:24PM Kitanishi said

Well well, no that surprising.

Diablocraft III is slowly going the way of Torcraft, in the way of "very big hype, very little pay off".

I want to be excited, but I just can't. All the mediocre gameplay decisions(no skillpoints or statpoins? SERIOUSLY? NO MODDING? extensive always-online DRM? RMAH? Really, actiblizz, REALLY?) made sure that I most likely won't even bother with this game.

The news about senior producer leaving the project just cemented it for me.

Getting flashbacks of Dragon Age II now, with the DA:O lead producer quitting during DAII development because he was dissatisfied with the direction....

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 12:19AM Apakal said

@Kitanishi

Since when was Torchlight just hype? Last I checked, it was a great game, with a dev team that actually supported the community. Torchlight 2 doesn't look to be disappointing.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 12:37AM Borick said

@Apakal And while it's still on the horizon, the Torchlight MMO is something I'm looking forward to.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 4:02AM Cyroselle said

@Apakal I think when the poster says 'Torcraft', it was actually in reference to SWTOR, not Torchlight, especially considering that Torchlight was a sleeper hit, so not really hyped all that much. SWTOR on the other hand was doing lines of coke on the hype-train.

Posted: Jan 21st 2012 10:28PM drunkingamebar said

@Faction 3

Grim Dawn looks more like a Diablo game, than Diablo does... Pretty bad, since the company is just a few average Joes, with other jobs to put food on the tables for their families the game is taken quite a while to come as far as it has.

Posted: Jan 21st 2012 10:51PM Amlin said

People come and go no matter how high you are in the totem-pole. Sometimes an even better job with better location and less stressful for the family comes along, can't blame the guy for that. That said I'm still looking forward to D3, the beta was amazing, I enjoyed my time on it immensely.

Posted: Jan 21st 2012 11:28PM stamps79 said

I'm enjoying the beta and have for the months that I've been playing it. The game still needs some tweaks and polish before it releases, so i'm sure it will still be a few more months. The game is awesome, anyone a fan of Action/RPG's and is or was a fan of the Diablo series will be very please with how the direction this game is going.

Only thing I wish they would drop, RMAH. This is my only complaint with the game.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 4:09AM Cyroselle said

@stamps79 The thing that worries me about the RMT/AH is that the IRS (in the US) have been trying to find a way to tax in-game cash transactions for years. I wish I were making that up, but yes, who ever came up w/ that idea really is that stupid. But an RMT/AH would give them the perfect opening to do this.

I don't know all what the repercussions might be, but I'm all in favor of simpler tax law; ActiBlizz may really be shooting off their own feet here.

Posted: Jan 21st 2012 11:41PM theBeast said

Imagine his work environment. He was probably being pulled in every direction like a doggie chew toy. RMT, wait... no RMT, ok ok, RMT, but not in Korea, but everyone else, mkay?

I'd leave too.

Posted: Jan 21st 2012 11:41PM (Unverified) said

They wanted to add pandas so he quit.

Posted: Jan 21st 2012 11:56PM (Unverified) said

In my experience with software (I know not the same as game development) a senior manager leaving a project occurs due to the following:

A. Was sick of working on the same project for 2+ years
B. Had a conflict of interest with those higher in the company
C. Got a better offer from someone else
D. Sick of no one listening to them on how to produce the product

Who knows why he left, but after my own experience in the beta (this is my opinion) I dislike the approach D3 seems to be taking when compared to the previous 2 installments.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 12:02AM Sorithal said

Well, that really doesn't say anything very good for D3 honestly. Why would the senior producer "leave" if it's going to be released soon? If it's going to be released soon, why the hell are so many sudden "SURPRISE!!!" (aka shitty) changes coming to D3?

Honestly just seems like Diablo 3's getting stuffed with methods of Blizzard grabbing more money for Daddy Kotick right now :|

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 12:50AM Borick said

@Sorithal I think that Blizzard has a problem. Their core market is emigrating from their cash cow like Cataclysm was the for-real Apocalypse. They're owned by a corporate mafia that is in turn owned by a corrupt French sewage conglomerate, and when the man comes around asking for his ^&%* money, Blizzard is likely to come up short.

Blizzard needs to produce another golden egg or their production-financed model is going to turn into a service-financed model. That's why they've gotta come up with something that launches this year that can secure their subscription base.

I would guess going all-in with the Chinese market isn't making up for their losses in the free world.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 1:05AM OutThere said

O.o Tasty. When I read the rather substantial changes D3 is making, my first thought was, "uh-oh". And now? "Oops." Another delay, major game changes, senior staff departure. You do the math. Not that D3 won't be a FABULOUS game, eventually.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 1:30AM Cyroselle said

@drunkingamebar Good looking game!

Path of Exile is right up there too.

DIII, when it finally arrives, will be dropping right into a market full of competition that has grown during their delay.

And also, there's Torchlight II.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 2:08AM (Unverified) said

Between a major last minute overall and a producer leaving, something is wrong in Denmark

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 2:26AM Amusednow said

Probably played a beta of Torchlight 2 and realized what a turd Diablo 3 will be.