Posted: Jan 20th 2012 8:36AM johnnic1235 said

City of Heroes' revamp of the Faultline zone is my vote. It turned the zone from a wasteland (population-wise) to a must-visit. It incorporated what was then new and innovative game tech, and added significantly to the lore of the game. Plus it just looked cool. Hard to beat so much win across so many categories.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 9:13AM SkyStreak said

@johnnic1235

I agree on Faultline.

The Atlas and Mercy redesigns are amazing, but both of those zones were used quite a bit before. Faultline was a place we all dreaded going, but now is great to visit, with a storyline that is engaging yet challenging.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 3:12PM (Unverified) said

@SkyStreak Yeah, Faultline was a really cool revamp, so is the upcoming revamp of Dark Astoria in issue 22. It turns the zone from somewhere to go for a dayjob badge to something really unique to the game.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 9:53AM Snorii said

@johnnic1235

I agree with Faultline. Great revamp!

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 8:58AM Miffy said

I like how Freeport has no loading screens now, I just wish the game did the whole seamless thing back at launch. I think however the redesign was done on the cheap as it looks worse, feels like it has less quality content and the voice overs in the game are mostly missing now.

The other thing I hate about EQ2 is why were there ever more than one or two servers? It launched with like 20 odd and by two months time after WoW killed it I struggled to get groups. So instead of merging servers to keep the population high they just slowly made the game easier and easier which has made it no fun now.

Also why did they dumb down crafting? You can't fail at it now which sucks, just put it into easy mode and less mats are needed too....

I haven't played an MMO where I liked a redesign...

EQ2 - Feel dumbed down
EQ - Just lacks the charm of the old graphics and has none of the atmosphere
WoW - The game feels so linear now and makes me hate questing as you cannot get lots of quests from the next zone until you complete ones in previous zones...

I like the redesigned ships and stuff in EVE though...

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 9:36AM (Unverified) said

@Miffy

LOL yeah I feel your pain. I started EQ2 on launch day, and actually was able to get in early, and not stuck trying to log in. I was a crafting fiend, and loved the original difficulty. But, people complained that it actually took some effort, and the dumbing down began. I won't even mention GU40...

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 9:19AM (Unverified) said

Lower Guk in EQ was pretty special with all its camp spots and named mobs. I have particularly fond memories of camping the King Room with good friends. It was designed (probably accidentally) to allow for both exploration and interaction between players.

For modern zones, I love Moria in LoTRO for re-imagining the books so well and Corelia in SWTOR for unbelievably beautiful graphics, animations and fun places to explore.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 9:19AM (Unverified) said

Sadly Silithus hasn't gotten its much needed revamp in WoW so I'll go with Darkshore. Due to its original layout, you had to travel so much and there were a lot of grindy quests. The Cataclysm solved that by bunching up quests and giving better travel options. And speaking of Cataclysm, I think they did a good job with a bunch of the vanilla zone revamps. Dustwallow Marsh is included in that, though that was mostly done long before Cataclysm. It was a pain questing there as Alliance since the only flight point was in Theramore for a long time.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 9:33AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

No EQ revamps are worth a s&%t...

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 11:43AM LA1111 said

Orgrimmar went from being cool to being really really cool when cata came out.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 2:00PM Seffrid said

EQ2's Everfrost redesign was decent.

I actually quite like the recent Freeport one as well.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 2:52PM (Unverified) said

I can tell you what my troll shadowknight friends *least* favorite redesign was: Grobb

Personally, my favorite was the cataclysm revamp of the forsaken starting area from deathknell to hillsbrad. The whole thing was brilliant and definitely my favorite part of cataclysm lore-wise.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 3:05PM CoffeeMug said

Dustwallow Marsh was the greatest zone revamp ever. Post-Cata Redridge Mountains is a close second.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 3:11PM (Unverified) said

I don't have many to choose from, but I'm going to go with LOTRO's Evendim revamp. I used to hear complaints constantly as I leveled towards Evendim of people who didn't like the zone. My first char to do more than a quest or two in it was post-revamp, and it's my prefered leveling area for 30-somethings now.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 6:30PM (Unverified) said

Darkshore in WoW after the Cataclysm. So many NPCs I remembered from the pre-Cataclysm world whose bodies I found in the wreckage, it was actually quite moving.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 7:13PM Jenks said

Worst ever: Grobb taken over by Frogloks. What a disaster.