Posted: Jan 20th 2012 10:45AM KvanCetre said

I would like to say as a former priest(who did offspecd shadow) my sorcerer feels pretty close, without the utility of free mana and passive healing. Its been a while, but I think the rotation was
Casted Dot, two instant dots, casted spell(mind blast?), channeled spell(mind flay) with the instant cast shadow word death at the end.
With my 24 sorc(hey, its my alt!) It goes
Castable dot, dot, instant spell, channeled spell, castable spell (shock, lightning, strike)
I'm sure spec changes this, as you will get chain lightning or death field, buy as a heal spec, the rotation feels close at low levels.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 10:59AM KvanCetre said

@KvanCetre
Oh good, I wrote "did offspecd" -_-
Typing a long post on a phone sucks

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 5:52PM Resurge said

@KvanCetre this is what i was going to say ..you cant get any closer to a shadowpriest (played as main for 5 years in wow) than a madness specced sorc(with a little affliction warlock thrown in). You literally have an analogue for almost every button. Insta dots, dps channel that acts as a snare, bubble, heals, renew, casted dot, casted nuke, ability to get vampirism from your dots via talents and gear bonuses, only thing missing is levitate and the ability to drain mana.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 11:24AM Dunraven said

Wow...a TOR article on Massively that isn't predicting failure or generally bashing the game....colour me surprised.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 12:36PM Utakata said

@Dunraven

Yes, but if every article on Massively had nothing but great things to say about it, you folks would start quickly complaining that SWTOR is getting free advertising or worse. So what is it you want?

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 12:39PM Jef Reahard said

@Dunraven

There's actually quite a few positive TOR articles (probably the majority, in fact).

When you combine selective memory with the fact that the negative ones get more page hits and resonate longer, you get people wailing about how Massively hates TOR.

The reality is that most of the staff enjoys the game.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 2:06PM Sorithal said

@Dunraven

You realize Massively has mostly praised the game, right?

Posted: Jan 21st 2012 10:49AM Space Cobra said

@Sorithal

You forget about "Rubi-gate of 2011" that flooded into the SWTOR forums?

Or some of Jef's criticisms (even though he likes the game)?

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 11:36AM Greyhame said

Good article that does bring up a lot of interesting things for people curious what the differences are. :)

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 12:04PM (Unverified) said

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 8:42PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) "*sigh* I rolled Trooper and went Commando and I find myself wishing I went Vanguard because well this might seem superficial but I am so not digging the BFG gun. "

I really don't know what they were thinking when they broke down some of these class trees. I know I didn't roll a Commando with a bigass minigun or a dual-pistol wielding Mercenary so I could sit in the back and NOT use my awesome guns to make things dead. However, because we have healing trees, everyone expects us to heal. So I guess I just don't get to go on group things if I don't gimp my guns.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 12:13PM Space Cobra said

Well, while confusing, the PvP section was helpful to me in the future; I do PvP, but I am not of high-level yet.

I got my second companion fairly late after I got my ship for my scoundrel. It may've been because I was doing other quests, but I found it odd that you stated you get your second when you get your ship when I personally didn't. This may be different for different classes (or playstyles)?

You kinda neglected to mention space missions can be done as dailies and they give good credit (cash) infusions into your pocketbook to boot, too! While you can grind for those commendations, I've mainly been doing it for the credits (and saving up commendations for buying things later or as needed).

Also your dark/light side comments about "what they represent" I think is one perspective on it. This seem to cause great confusion among the player-base who haven't thought much about such things. So, here are my two credits on the subject to add with your own:

1) If you are a DnD fan, you could liken the choices to "Lawful Good" for Light Side. Dark Side is a bit tricker, but generally "Chaotic Evil" seems to work in some situations while "Lawful Evil" works in others.

2) Light Side is a bit tricky, especially what class you play: Generally, it can be alturistic, but I also find that, especially for Jedi, "the law" comes into place. You are expected to follow the Jedi law/code/rules and that seems to help figure out what the writers felt. While there is some compassion, if there is something where you "break the law" like forgiving someone and letting them free, you tend to lose light-points, especially as Jedi.

With Dark side points, you can have compassion: It is all about feelings and your selfish needs. So, letting the same person free that stole bread for your family would be more dark side, although you tend to get no points for it really (killing them would likely give you dark points). If you let your "heart" speak, you are entering Dark territory, especially as a Jedi. That's not to say you can't be honorable as a Dark side character. Just think of it as more emotional choices versus "cold and calculating ones" that the Jedi are known for. Again, this is more about philosophy inherent in these decisions. IMHO, the Jedi are not always right and neither are the Sith: I think many fans "don't get that".

Good article. Until the Grey/Nuetral side comes out...

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 12:46PM Eamil said

@Space Cobra

By "second companion" I can only assume he was referring to the ship droid, or that he plays a Jedi Knight, which seems to get its second companion far earlier than any other class.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 2:10PM Eliot Lefebvre said

@Eamil

Yep. Jedi Knights get a second companion very early (and then no other companions for quite some time), but everyone gets the ship droid. Pretty much useless in combat even after you kit him up with high-quality crafted mods, but very useful for crafting and the like.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 3:03PM Daeths said

@Space Cobra you make the Jedi sound like Vulcans! It is the logical course of action captain.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 3:33PM Space Cobra said

@Daeths

Well...that could be the case, but more like people who hold up the "letter of the law" and are inflexible in interpreting it. I guess it is the difference between what is "morally right" and what is "legally right".

Of course, morals can be open to interpretation from person to person and culture to culture. Legal rights are more defined and enforced by particular countries in different ways (with different laws).

Someone who steals bread to feed their family. Legally, they broke the law and must face up to the consequences, morally, they may've stolen bread from someone who could afford to lose some and not suffer, whereas the thief was desperate.

Another way of looking at it: American Indians owned most of North America before Europeans settled in. Europeans took over and established laws and order. While Indians were wronged and had a moral right to the land, the laws now required one to use the legal system to (re)claim such land.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 12:42PM Sharuk said

Awesome post, thanks.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 1:16PM Utakata said

I don't play this game, but to my understanding there is a couple of differences that would dissapoint me right off the bat - and yes, this is a bit of a complaint:

1) You only get two faction based star-up zones...in comparison to WoW's multi-start zones per all 12 races. This actually limits RP options in SWTOR in IMO, because everyone has the same two origin story. Where as in WOW you can have multi-origins...even switching to a start-up zone that's not your race to a degree. This does create more dynamic story telling even for a game whose questing is so heavily based on rails.

2) SWTOR's extremely limited race selection to boring mono-humaniods (surpising for an IP so rich in sentient species) in comparison to WoW's mulit-colorful and interesting speciated race selection - I did mention they have 12. Thus no rolling Wookies, droids and pig-tailed Jawa's for me. :(

Also: Just imagine a Wookie start-up zone.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 1:57PM KvanCetre said

@Utakata
I'll base this off Vanilla WoW.
In wow, most Horde players went to Barrens next, though there was one alternative. In TOR, your next planet is your faction Capital.

Wow had 8 races. You cant compare expansions... They took time to developthat simply isn't feasible for new games. Its like asking why they lacl the content of 17 EQ expansions(is that right? 17?) And their 16 races.
I do get that WoW races are more varied, but Cathar are as close as we'll see to wookies. Which is fine, both are just bipedal furry humans.

Trust me, if you listen to voice overs, a ton of wookies is the last thing you want.

Posted: Jan 21st 2012 12:38AM Utakata said

@KvanCetre

"In WoW, there were six start zones. Three per side, with two races sharing on each side. In TOR, there are four starting planets, two per side."

Now this was something I was completely unaware of regarding SWTOR starting zones. Whether I was aware of it once, but it brain-farted from my pig-tails with the consumption of too much caffeinated beverages, or I simply assumed there was two so much so I never bothered to ask. Either way...bad on me! So thank you for clarifying that detail, which has made my first complaint mute. Thus I fully retract it.

So you know, I wasn't intending to compare expansions. I thought about it. But it did dawn on me that I was speaking of games released recently as opposed to one 6 years. It's expectations are far different then what WoW was back then. So for right or for wrong, I campaired WoW as of today to SWTOR as of today. Perhaps that was an oversight, but that's what I did.

And finally, I was going to impersonate a room full of Wookies for your benefit. But don't think that would gp over too well on this medium. So I decided not to. :(