Posted: Jan 19th 2012 8:37AM OrangeGamer said

This doesn't seem fishy at all... except that it does. It seems kinda counterproductive to disregard your own user-base helping others, just because someone cancels now doesn't mean they won't be back in a month or two. What they're pulling with this from my understanding gained from this article is going to possibly make them lose more of those customers forever.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 9:49AM (Unverified) said

@OrangeGamer

Except it could actually be a browser issue. For example, if you're running No Script on Firefox, then that'll cause it to not show and 1/2 the links on the site to not work unless you allow certain permissions.

Without giving permission to blogsmithmedia.com, I wouldn't be able to make a comment on this site. Odd as that may seem.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 10:06AM Renko said

@OrangeGamer

I remember this same "bug" happening with another MMO, I'm not sure if it was Warhammer Online or Star Trek Online who tried it on before.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 10:08AM Kalex716 said

@OrangeGamer

Whats funny is, i've been gaming a long time, and I actively participate in forums, and community outlets for pretty much any game I play.

I'm a hobbyist like that, and in my short time of playing SWTOR and being on their forums, I got like 2 warnings for ridiculous things (asking for more waves during their early launch stagger, and making a somewhat rude joke about one of their OWN story lines).

I've also never seen a forum where so many good discussions just get locked usually with a redirect to some other thread thats hardly related.

I've never been "warned" before ever on a game forum and it gave me a really strange impression to get one not just once, but TWICE! No big deal, but It made me think they have more people and resources scouring their forums and locking threads, warning/banning users than they do have people actually trying to help the community with their problems.

Maybe i'm just turning into a troll.... this is how it starts ;)

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 11:06AM Sickness said

• Half a heart
@Kalex716

When every other thread is some child complaining about something and cancelling their account I think they need to hand out more warnings. I really hoped this community would be better than WoW but so far it's been worse.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 11:29AM Lateris said

@(Unverified) Exactly- billing issues with turbine are always occurring in firefox and google chrome but with Internet Explorer they have no issues.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 12:49PM SnarlingWolf said

@(Unverified)

Saying it is a browser issue isn't even a good excuse. If you are running a big game with a million players and your account services go through a website then it is your responsibility to ensure the compatibility of your sites.

It is never an excuse for a large company to say "oops browser issue" especially if it is effecting this many people. That would mean it is effecting a major browser that lots of people use every day and therefore should have been tested before any changes.

This smells as fishy as can be.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 12:57PM (Unverified) said

@OrangeGamer I use Google Chrome. In my opinion, it's the best browser of them all and I wouldn't switch back. But when it comes to paying certain bills online, some websites don't support it.

Like my cable bill, for example. I have to use Firefox in order for me to log on my account and pay it.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 2:00PM Allegos said

@Renko One of the highlight's of Blizzard's "Zombie Invasion" event fiasco was the temporary loss of the option to unsubscribe in protest. The "Account Management" page on the game's official site went down and stayed down for a couple of days, whether due to excessive traffic or because something had to be done to stop the subscription hemorrhaging. I called shenanigans then, and I call shenanigans now.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 2:17PM Mikx said

@OrangeGamer Yes, Shady business practices ftw. I'm surprised its happening so soon though. Its common courtesy to wait a few months.

But, Bioware has a Sarlacc pit to feed, so harrassing customers (I mean, honestly, cancel by phone? how long will you be on hold?) is okay.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 12:24AM psycros said

@Lateris : bullsh1t. Turbine causes everybody problems.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 8:25AM (Unverified) said

@Renko

It was Warhammer Online that tried this tactic before to try and pad the loss of subscriptions. The same guys that are now working with Bioware on this very same mmo. Heh, irony.

I believe they are doing this as a increasingly common business practice, where you make it difficult/delay the cancellation process to where customers have to call-in or otherwise wait past month's end to cancel. This isn't to try and keep customer's money, they will end up giving it all back anyway, but to pad their subscription numbers on the first of the month when many of these cancellations haven't completed yet.

It's actually a brilliant business tactic, and very effective to increase post-free month numbers. At least for a month anyway.

Posted: Jan 20th 2012 7:23PM Infestimus said

@SnarlingWolf Especially with the requirement to have a subscription in place to begin using your free month.

(I know you aren't charged until the time is up, but it looks worse when something like this happens)

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 8:38AM (Unverified) said

That's one way to increase retention.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 8:49AM Nenene said

@(Unverified)
Bioware/EA's new 'innovative' approach to sub retention.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 9:06AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified)

I say hurry up and fix it! I want you to leave as much as you want to leave.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 9:30AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@Nenene

I've always wondered why you hate SWTOR with a passion.

Then I noticed you're a WoW player.

Explains alot, thanks.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 9:54AM Nenene said

@(Unverified)
Ah....I quit over RealID back in 2009. I've been mad at Blizzard ever since. I don't ever really expect people to read my post history but as long as you were looking at my profile you might have tried reading some of the posts I've made about WoW since I quit.

I don't really have a vendetta against SWTOR so much as I am wary of anything produced by EA/Bioware and I don't like it when companies try to take advantage of people, via games or otherwise.

Furthermore, the penchant that proponents of SWTOR have for trying to find a reason beyond 'I don't think this game/company is making a very good product' for their dislike or disinclination for the game is very worrisome. It isn't Blizzard's fault, or ArenaNet's fault, or Trion's fault, or anyone's fault but Bioware/EA's.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 10:12AM Irem said

@(Unverified)
I live with Nenene. Neither she nor I have played WoW for years.

And trust me, if you ever heard her talk about Blizzard, you'd know that the only impact having played WoW has on her opinion of TOR is that she's coming into this with a healthy distrust of major game publishers.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 10:19AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@Nenene

LOL. In the meantime I have been running with RL firends dungeons and BG's and now even the latest Raid tx to your "idiotic" Real ID.

Silly, people are plain stupid.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM