Posted: Jan 18th 2012 9:11PM Zetsuei said

Its crap like this that gives F2P such a bad name. There are so few F2P that don't force you to buy from a cash shop to stay caught up with others. Why don't companies get this? If the game itself is not 100% free, without REQUIRING to buy anything to play the whole thing, the game needs to die. The moment you force people to buy from it, its no longer F2P but a huge scam.

I really wish we as gamers would stop supporting these companies/games. Yes, you might want to play and try it out, but if you quit all you've done is give them your money and show you support their piece of crap game. Please re-think when you buy or sub to a game. If you don't think your gonna play for a long time don't even try it. Try a trial or something, don't flat out buy it then regret it.

Posted: Jan 18th 2012 9:11PM Nenene said

Oh, 'no intention' of selling higher level gear?

Just like you had 'no intention' of selling gear in the first place?

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Posted: Jan 18th 2012 9:39PM Deliverator said

@Nenene
It's raining, but it's FREE!
Free to Rain!
F2R!

Posted: Jan 18th 2012 11:12PM Irem said

@Deliverator
Oh god, my sides.

Posted: Jan 18th 2012 9:57PM Maseno said

They are just testing the waters to see how the community reacts. I haven't played this game since beta, but anyone who does should full well expect that more and more equipment will start to be released.

Posted: Jan 18th 2012 10:00PM Stormwaltz said

I still call BS on this explanation. It's a solution to a problem THAT DOES NOT EXIST. At level 1-20 you can play LotRO for an hour or two and come away with a full set of quality on-level gear.

Casual Stroll to Mordor was running a poll on this before Internet Strike Day. Last I checked the results were an overwhelming 66% opposed, and only 5% in favor (the remainder were "don't care"). And that's on a site populated by *casual* players.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 7:10AM SwarlesBarkley said

@Stormwaltz

Not to mention how easy it is to craft in Lotro.. You can easily create an alt just to craft the gear you need until you reach Angmar... The crafted gear was always an issue, but this should make people wake up to see a need and thus craft that need. My metalsmith was my top grosser because even after Moria I could sell lower level crafted armour and make 10G a week easily off minimal effort. (20G if I really did it nonstop). Now they are taking away from crafters who will probably not bother making gear. This is one of those hot-button issues that even if they take it out of the store, it still has already left its mark and proven how Turbine has fallen..

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 10:09AM Softserve said

@SwarlesBarkley And on top of all of that, equipment at those levels is often given away for free. Sometimes within a kin, sometimes just within a chat. I often see people giving it for free or for next to nothing in hub areas.

Posted: Jan 18th 2012 10:02PM Iamonthemoon said

Turbine has the best developer team in the world! Look! They just broke their own promise to satisfy players needs!

Posted: Jan 18th 2012 10:14PM theBeast said

If you will buy it, they will sell it. It's been observed and preached.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 2:00AM Space Cobra said

@theBeast

* "Forum Posters spend 10x more on game (and items) than Average gamer (that never touches forums)."

* "Pie chart showing (what we all know) most gamers never touch forums"

You know, that was a *very interesting* point I never really thought about and it makes sense. We know there are "F2P Whales" that spend more money on cash shop items than the regular players. Of course such paying-players would probably be more involved, but that sets up an imbalance over the silent majority in a way I hadn't considered.

Good link.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 5:51AM ShivanSwordsman said

@theBeast

You know, it's actually humbling to view it with all the data like that. 10% isn't a MASSIVELY different comparison, and it shows that there are indeed a great deal of players that aren't really gamers at all: They want the biggest advantages over everyone else, that you can't get any way else. They pay to win, yet it also keeps the devs fed and sheltered, and in business.

Honestly, I've thought of Pay To Win as evil. Deeply evil. I pride myself to play games like AVA, which lets you either buy permanent guns with real money or in-game money. I'm hoping that Blacklight goes the same way. Though I also see that you HAVE to have pay to win, or go Buy To Play to even break even. I hate to say it, but I've been wrong all this time.

I suppose I'll have to look at F2P much differently now. I also see this as the logical next step for LOTRO now. I just wish companies would offer an "All in 1" package for about $20 - $30, and expansion packs/bundles that pack in large sections of the new content for $10. I feel a hybrid model between F2P and buying what you want, and bundle packages that you OWN, could indeed be advantageous for both customer and developer.

Heck, I'd be playing EQ2 and AoC right now if I could just buy permanent access to the end-game and extra abilities/classes they locked out.

Posted: Jan 18th 2012 10:55PM Rhazes said

How does armor look in this game is still look like its painted on? Like fake muscle shirts.

Posted: Jan 18th 2012 11:42PM Heraclea said

"Creates solutions??" Does it, like, wash off in the rain?

Of all the ways English is misused, this is particularly galling.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 12:34AM (Unverified) said

unfortunately, the fact is that theres a lot more people willing to pay for this stuff than there are complaining about it.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 1:49AM Space Cobra said

Sure this creates solutions...!

For the Company!

(Oh, and some players may want this, too. Yeah, that sounds good.)

I am actually with Valkesh on this (and I agree with Rubi on her podcast). I am probably very optimistic, but many comments I hear about anything is, "They said they wouldn't!" and people hold them to that. From George Lucas, to politicians, to credit companies, Lawyers, big Corporations, Governments....I can go on and on. Oh, and I forgot to include Game Companies! ;P

Really, you don't have to be "gullible", but just cross your arms and be a "doubting Thomas" and examine all their statements/actions right before AND after they say things like that.

Nothing lasts forever. The world and corporations and their stances always change, even in small degrees.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 3:33AM xBludx said

LOL

They're done. Times are hard. Just let 'em milk what they can.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 4:42AM pcgneurotic said

• 1 heart
Whining. It's free. Free to Whine. FTW ftw!

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 5:12AM (Unverified) said

Hate too say it but this game looked old and sorry back when it launched..combat is HELLA slow as well!!

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 7:03AM Loopy said

"and the development firm has spent some of it doing damage control"

Don't see much controlling of the damage here. They just basically stated the same thing again.