Posted: Jan 17th 2012 3:49PM Bezza said

Yea I prefer the Guild Wars model for loot, no one misses out, no one gets denied, if you earned a drop you get it. Simple.

Rolling is random and kinda sux.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 4:03PM Vandal said

Loot rolls are like DKPs, they are examples of players trying to adapt to bad game mechanics.

These mechanics are the result of old-school developers forcing to players compete for resources which resulted in players being forced to play longer and keep paying those subs.

As the subscription model keep showing more of its holes and becomes used less and less, these flaw systems will be left in the dust as well.

Good riddance to them all.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 8:11PM Protoavis said

No, the whole thing is pointless really since in most cases it can be automated.

Healer gear drops...no one but the healer can equip it....Need/Greed roll for everyone! Wouldn't it make more sense for the system to just intuitively distribute it to the healer? More than one healer in the group? Do an auto number roll, whoever wins auto distribute to them. Don't even show the other people in the group who go what (to prevent drama).. I know personally I'm a bit over having to role need/greed/pass on equips that my toon can't even use.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 10:51PM (Unverified) said

Need before greed is still the best system out there, the problem is that the player base has moved past the point where the current implementations is viable. Players used to have to worry about their reputations and with that essentially being gone due to cross server grouping and just much larger player bases, what constitutes need has become what can I get away with.

Until the game can simply look at what a person is using and tell if a drop should go to them or not, I don't see a better option though.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 11:07PM mattwo said

I can think of a few scenarios where this would be bad.

1. Everyone agrees to roll greed. (Previously AFK) ninja looter rolls need and leaves the group.

2. Everyone rolls greed but some one who doesn't realize their build cannot ultize the item as well rolls need. (This is why I avoid need rolling period. I can't be bothered to memorize which stats go best with which build).

3. Everyone rolls greed but the winner needs it the least and decides to keep it anyway.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 3:01AM Haldurson said

Personally, I feel almost any method of loot distribution that results in a consensus of the players involved agreeing to, is fine by me. I'm easy that way.

That said, Need vs. Greed can be problematic at times -- for no-drop items (bind on pickup), need vs. greed seems to be a no-brainer, but otherwise I've seen it cause more problems than it's worth. Last year, I had received personal attacks because I claimed 'need' on (and won) something that I really did need. I was told in no uncertain terms that although something WAS a huge upgrade for me (and, as it turned out, not for anyone else), the item should not go to me because it was a perfect tank item, and I was a cleric. The argument eventually ended with appologies, though, when it was revealed that 1.the equipment I was replacing was so crappy that it was absurd, and 2. the only tank in the group already had something that was nearly as good (it would have only been a sidegrade, rather than an upgrade).

I've seen in rift, people refusing to group because someone rolled need on a healing potion (no joke). Really? That's what makes you mad enough to turn anti-social?

Which brings me to my favorite game, CoH -- back in the day, there was no meaningful loot. And there was some of the most fun I've had in MMOs ever. The lesson is, get rid of loot and you won't get rid of ALL arguments, but it would be a good start.