Posted: Jan 16th 2012 9:29AM (Unverified) said

World of Warcraft has an app that allows a certain number of features without a fee, but adds more features if you pay for them. Being Blizzard they also offer additional features for a fee.

I won't pay extra, but a companion app with features like the ability to check on your guild chat I can see the use for...

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 9:36AM DarkWalker said

Pay subscription, no. Absolutely no.

Pay a one-time fee to get the app? Maybe - and that's a big maybe. Depending on how much the game already costs, offering extra services as a paid for, external app would perhaps have a bigger chance of making me not even try the game than making me purchase the app.

In other words, if the game is F2P, or if it does not have a subscription, I would get the extra app if I felt the app worth of the cost and the app itself didn't have a subscription. If the game has a subscription and an upfront purchase price, though, a paid app would have a bigger chance of preventing me from even trying the game than of making me purchase the app.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 10:14AM Seffrid said

I don't have a smartphone and have no wish to get one. I also have no wish to muddle my mobile phone which I use to make calls on with my computer which I use to play games on.

Fine for those that do want it, but only so long as it doesn't detract from playing the game if you don't.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 10:43AM (Unverified) said

Is the screenshot in this article an actual game or just a concept?

Also no to sub

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 11:09AM SkyStreak said

I would absolutely pay to own an app, but iwoukdnot add o my monthly sub for it unless it had some kind of AMAZING features.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 11:15AM Cyclone Jack said

No, I would not pay for a mobile app.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 11:22AM Budukahn said

It feels like a "never say never" situation for me. Presently, the MMO market is all agog with themepark MMO's . The world may be persistant but my investment in it certainly isn't and ends whenever I log out.

Now, if the trend for MMO's veered away from themeparks towards virtual worlds again I might, conceivably end up playing a game I wanted to be invested in 24/7. Perhaps if I were for example running a player town, a member of some ingame governing body, a shopkeeper or basically invested with some authority or interest in the game beyond that of "Johnny Average Mac-adventurerer" I might feel compelled to get such a thing.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 11:23AM (Unverified) said

Pay for the app for a game like Guild Wars that is B2P? Yes. Pay a premium fee every month for an app for a game I am already paying a subscription for like WoW? No.

This is one of Blizzard's main problems. They are being seen as more interested in the microtransactions of pets, mounts and apps where they charge additional money and not providing content, even content they promise, which is the major reason they have a sub fee in the first place.

I also believe that the lack of people complaining about the premium fee in addition to the subscription fee is what led them to trying to make Real ID grouping be available only for a fee when the idea was first announced last spring. Fortunately the community rose up against that.

Now don't get me wrong, I can't neccessarily blame Blizz for trying to find ways to make money. There's nothing unethical or illegal in what they do, however, it can leave a bad taste in a customer's mouth and leave the impression the company is wanting to nickle and dime them. Not to mention, it can really harm the companies reputation and right now, Blizzard is not the well thought of company they were even just a few years ago.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 11:28AM Joaquin Crowe said

@(Unverified) The reason they have a sub fee is so that Bobby Kotick can have a golden toilet for every day of the year.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 2:08PM (Unverified) said

@Joaquin Crowe
Kotick is so awful. I have no idea why Vivendi made him CEO of Activision Blizzard when they bought Activision. Blizzard may release far fewer titles, but were much more respected among gamers. Morhaime would have been a much better choice.

I'm just really hoping that the sub losses for WoW get to the point that Vivendi seriously considers getting rid of him. I would love for someone at Blizzard to be in charge of the division and right the ship so that I could go back to WoW as I always loved the Warcraft story.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 5:10PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) To be fair, they're handling all of their games terrible (or at least Blizzard quality in the past)

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 5:17PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
Oh I know. D3 is a great example. Blizzard used to be all about expanding choices for gamers, however D3's online only single player mode is about restricting choice.

Several friends are fans of the Starcraft stories and every one of them have been disappointed with SC2 so far.

I just don't think it's coincidence much of this happened after the merger once Kotick was named CEO.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 11:23AM jakofascalon said

Most certainly wouldn't pay a monthly fee for it. A one time fee of say no more than $2 doesn't sound unreasonable though I'm so sure that I'd give more than $1 for any app.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 11:29AM (Unverified) said

No, no, no.

Blizzard just sucks. They want to charge MORE money? I am so glad I am not drinking that kool-aid anymore.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 12:26PM Ocho said

I agree with a lot of the commenters here. Pay for a subscription to the app? No. No sub. Willing to pay for the app itself? Yes. $10 or less, I'd go for it. Anything more, I'd have to balance its features to how much I'd use it to its cost and then make a decision.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 12:40PM SgtBaker1234556 said

Yes and No, but it really depends what the app does.
I use the Blizzard mobile app all the time, but I don't care much about the remote auctions, so the sub is out of question at t he moment.

I can easily drop some cash for the app download.but the sub is another matter entirely - the app needs to do something extraordinarily good for that.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 12:41PM Khal said

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 12:44PM Hammerbeard said

buy the app, maybe, depends what it can do.
pay a sub for an app, no, doesn't matter what it does.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 2:00PM Deliverator said

Yes. I would pay extra for a mobile app. It's a new program coded for a completely different OS with new communication paths into the game. I would also sub to those new communications channels.

There is no free, if the app were included it merely means that others who didn't want that type of access would be paying more.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 3:48PM oxlar said