Posted: Jan 16th 2012 8:14PM rhorle said

This article is misleading as it states something about D3 that isn't true. The Cash AH wasn't dropped from the South Korean version of the game. The difference for the South Korean game is that there is no ability to cash out.

The Real Money Auction house is still there and will only work off of the Blizzard wallet with no way to turn that money into cash via paypal like you can in other regions.

This was clarified in a blue post (though the thread seems to have be deleted) http://www.diablofans.com/blizz-tracker/topic/215859-can-we-play-on-korean-servers/

I hope this trend of reporting misleading issues and false statements about Blizzard games doesn't continue with massively. Twice in a few days with the Linear article and this one.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 10:59PM scfs123 said

@rhorle So you can't turn the real money AH into real money....but they aren't removing the real money AH...uh...nitpicking much?

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 11:04PM rhorle said

@scfs123

You don't understand. The Korean Diablo 3 will have the battle.net wallet that allows you to buy things in the AH for real money. What it won't have that other regions, like North America have, is the ability to turn that "virtual battle.net wallet" money into real cash.

The only difference is there is no cash out, only a cash in. So its not nit picking because it is still a Real Money auction house. The lack of cashing out doesn't remove the fact that you can still buy stuff with real money.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 6:27AM Brendan Drain said

@rhorle Thanks for the update!

The lack of ability to cash out will probably criple the usefulness of the cash AH as there won't be much to do with the cash. But it's an important distinction to make, because if they can still sell to fund their Blizzard Balance they can fund a WoW account or buy services in other Blizzard games with it. Whether that will be enough to make people use the system in any kind of realistic volume is anyone's guess, though.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 10:12AM Macabre 13 said

@Brendan Drain

I don't see how this will even remotely "cripple the usefulness."

Millions of gamers spend real money on in-game items all the time, without any option of "cashing out."

You know what? I think some companies may have even developed *an entire business model* based on exactly that. I think it's referred to as "F2P" or something like that...

Korea's RMAH will be poppin' off like every other regions RMAH. Might it have less activity than the rest? Perhaps... probably even. But crippled? Hyperbole at best.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 10:33AM Brendan Drain said

@Macabre 13 I think you're misunderstanding how the cash AH will work. Items are listed on it by players, not the developers, so for someone to buy something another player has to be selling it. If you can't cash that money out of the game, the incentive to sell will be dramatically decreased. Unless Blizzard starts selling items on the cash AH or offers some really high-demand services for Blizzard Balance credit, there will be very little incentive to actually sell items on the cash AH.

That is of course assuming people don't work out a way to launder balance credit through international users or resale of gift purchases or something, which could be possible. We'll have to wait and see how that one plays out.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 12:46PM Macabre 13 said

@Brendan Drain

Perhaps I jumped the gun on this one. I considered only the incentive for buyers to spend real money and items, and overlooked the incentive for sellers to sell in the RMAH.

In its current form, the incentive to sell would indeed be little, outside of purchasing a few games from a very limited library, a cheap sub to just one game, and perhaps a few sparkle ponies.

My apologies for my snarky comment above, as I now see your point. Without seller incentive in the RMAH, they'll just opt to continue using 3rd party websites and "forum gold", as they have been for so many years, indeed crippling the RMAH's usefulness.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 9:27PM Maseno said

Looks like this list keeps growing and growing. I am pretty happy about that one as these types of games are peaking my interests as of late.

Have you guys taken a look at Dawn of Fantasy yet? I just got one of the free keys a few days ago and have been absolutely loving the game. I think it may be worthy of actually getting a spot on here. It is doing something no other games are at the moment (to the scale and capacity it is).

Really something you guys should take a look at :-)

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 11:45PM (Unverified) said

@Maseno : is there any guide or tutorial for Dawn of Fantasy? I got one of the free keys too, fired up a single-player skirmish thinking that was the way to learn the game, and was given thousands of soldiers with absolutely no idea how to play. Did I pick the wrong option?

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 5:39AM h4ngedm4n said

@Maseno, (Unverified), etc
I'm still trying to get into the game. It seems somewhat slow paced and I am not entirely sure what is going on either. Feel free to add me on steam or ingame (h4ngedm4n), it would be nice to have some people to chat with.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 4:46PM (Unverified) said

Now if only the RMAH could be turned off in the US. Is such a shame that a game is not being seen as a game, but rather a business oppurtunity.

Hands-on with Windborne's early access

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 5:00PM

Ask Massively: What's with all the WoW hate?

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 12:00PM