Posted: Jan 16th 2012 12:05PM Saker said

"gameplay that isn't built exclusively around combat."
That alone sounds excellent to me! Extremely bored with endless combat/destruction.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 5:53PM Ophelea said

@Saker If I have to kill five more of anything I'm going to throw my monitor across the room. Hopefully, we'll be changing all of that.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 4:10AM Kdansky said

@Saker You know what happens when you try to write an engine (http://blown-to-bits.blogspot.com/) for games that are not about combat? First thing you get asked is: "Can you add combat mechanics?" Which tells me something different: If all your engine can do is combat, all the game will be about is combat. WoW is a prime example: many hundreds of combat-related skills, and the four (or so) non-combat skills (such as Soothe Animal) were removed during streamlining.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 12:15PM AlienFanatic said

I really feel that user-generated content is the future of MMO's. It truly is the only way I can foresee to break the emphasis on never ending raiding that permeates today's MMO's.

The incredible difficulties involved in actually making it feasible, though, are frightening. What Storybricks is attempting is laudable, and I hope they succeed, but what a crazy task they have ahead of them. Trying to create a cohesive story that isn't sidetracked by PQ's, avoiding people exploiting the tools, or ending up with an obscene number of boring, repetitive tasks seems like a herculean effort.

In the end, I fear we'll get a pretty generic MMO that ends up fading into obscurity beyond a mention on Massively here and there.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 5:56PM Ophelea said

@AlienFanatic Sometimes the task seems daunting to us as well. That's why we're starting with the toolset and working with the players to get it right the first time - before launch. We definitely don't want to spend 2-4 years hidden away building something only to "gift" it to the world and find it's the same "generic MMO" you're afraid of getting.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 9:11PM AlienFanatic said

@Ophelea

I may be worried, but I did sign up (using my real name) for your newsletter and a possible beta invite someday. The concept sounds very, very interesting and I hope it succeeds. We need more dreamers and fewer bean counters in the MMO space or we'll never get out of this Theme Park rut we're in.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 12:30PM Space Cobra said

"one of the chief influences is a book called The Illusion of Life by early Disney animators Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston"

Yay! I have that book, too!

This team is really thinking like I would, in a philosophical sense related to gaming. "Murder works very well", indeed! Yes, it does, but what else can a game do to change the simple "whittling down a sack of hit points" into something else? Or even an illusion of something else?

Online diplomacy debates? With skills usage related to word usage and an online computer system that grammar checks and scores if you remain on-topic or not? A bit from "Sims Online"? Contests with different style criteria (Yes, I am entering some dangerous waters as I bring in influences from "Teen-chat games".) Building better houses? Growing better crops? Maybe growing Pokemon "crops" that eat intruders and adds to a "Legacy score"? (Okay, I'll stop with the wild ideas already!)

Also kudoes for mentioning Don Bluth, too!

But yeah, these have always been gaming staples and it would be nice to find or even incorporate systems from other games to either add "games-within-games" or a complexity of inter-related games.

Not sure if the "Story Bricks" project will actually make or facilitate this, but it is a start!

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 5:57PM Ophelea said

@Space Cobra LOL So many ideas! I'm sure at least one (or more) of them will end up in the game. But first, the toolset.

Thanks!

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 12:32PM Faction 3 said

Definately liking the table.

It has that "Taken from the Forest Preserve" look to it.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 2:40PM theBeast said

@Faction 3 It looks like Jesus made that table.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 5:58PM Ophelea said

@Faction 3 And it weighs like a million pounds.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM