Posted: Jan 15th 2012 12:11PM Wisdomandlore said

I tried WAKFU shortly before they switched about a month ago. I was intrigued by the opening, but after I got into the main world, I had no idea where to go or what to do. I wondered around for awhile, messed around with crafting (again, not really knowing what I was doing), then tried to find some other players...but the chat channels were empty and I never saw another player in several hours of play.

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 1:13PM Wensbane said

@Wisdomandlore

Well, despite its cutesy appearance, Wakfu is every bit as complex as, let's say, EVE Online. So yes, the learning curve can be a little daunting.

The best way to approach this game is to pay close attention to the tutorial -- the NPCs in the first area will teach you how to fight and gather/plant resources -- and really just take it one step at a time.

Don't obsess over making money!
Just keep crafting if you like that, set up shop, but don't worry if you don't sell anything for a while -- there's no real economy to speak of during beta, people are just selling everything at crazy prices -- and just keep exploring.

Soon enough you'll find some mines, gather your first ore, mint your first kama (gold)...
It will all start making sense over time, trust me.

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 1:23PM Maseno said

@Wisdomandlore

I am actually pretty happy this game doesn't hold your hand or put you on rails. You can do what you want instead of having the illusion of doing what you want.

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 12:22PM Faction 3 said

I'd campaign, and vote for Beau!

Yes he can!! (At least, I hope he can).

~~Paid for by the political offices of the Hindman~~

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 12:45PM Joshua Przygocki said

Can't wait to try this out. I've been itching for some sandboxy action, and those visuals really have some charm. Any word on when the game officially releases?

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 6:44PM starspun said

@Joshua Przygocki

Last I heard is just "February", so hopefully it's not too far off, but the lack of a specific date makes me wonder if they might push release back a bit.

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 1:09PM JohnD212 said

I'm really enjoying it. I think the first time experience really comes down to the class you play. Play a complex one and I think it just makes it more frustrating the first time through. I would suggest playing a more melee class to start and when you learn how things work...re-roll and try a more indepth class.

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 1:22PM Joshua Przygocki said

@JohnD212 I am a healer. Always a healer. I hate playing other classes. There were two classes that piqued my interest, the healer(obviously) and the plant summoner. Is the plant summoner sorta like a druid? Or do they just go around keeping the environment in balance?

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 11:40AM Cyclone Jack said

@Joshua Przygocki

They seem to be a type of pet-class and have a fairly unique mechanic. You plant a seed, then cast a spell on it. Depending on the spell it will create one of three (that I have seen) different plant-creatures, all of which seem to be AI controlled. If you cast another spell on them, then they will have the ability to cast that spell in their next turn. It is an interesting mechanic, and I don't think I fully understand it yet. :)

If you like healers, another class you may be interested in is the Protector. They have some interesting mechanics that allow you to buff your allies (summon armor on them), as well as summon mines with buffs (or damage/debuffs). I'm not much for the healer/protector style gameplay, but the mechanics for this class are quite interesting and fun.

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 1:14PM Faction 3 said

From what I've read, this game has some kind of weird payment system or something that was carried over from DOFUS, like...a monthly sub gives a special bonus?

I only read comments in the forums, but never found the source of thier complaints. Anyone able to shed some light on this?? I think I may have to check this out if everything sounds legit.

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 1:23PM Wensbane said

@Faction 3

Back when I used to play Dofus, you could only explore the "trial zone" (Astrub Village) without subscribing.

You couldn't PvP, have pets or create guilds either. So, I guess the advantage of paying the monthly fee is... access to the entire game.

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 1:34PM Faction 3 said

@Wensbane

I see, so this not necessarily a F2P game then. I didn't know that. Well, the game looks great either way.

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 4:03PM (Unverified) said

I absolutely love this game. The characters and the world have more personality than just about any game I've played. Probably only games like Disgaea are comparable to how "alive" the characters and world feel. Can't wait to play it again come release.

Also at Beau, not sure if you are open to anime or not but the Wakfu anime is really amazing. They totally capture the feel of the game world and has some fantastic characters. May be a way to gain even more immersion from the game too..

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 5:14PM h4ngedm4n said

Game looks good. I'm definitely checking it out once it is released. Nice coverage by Beau.

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 7:16PM JohnCarradine said

This game is going to be a griefer's paradise. As such, I question how long a major publisher like Square Enix will support it before the plug is pulled.

All PvP is non-consensual above the starting areas i.e. after that there are no safe zones (unlike Eve Online). There is a "citizenship point" penalty for PK, but it is trivial, and can be run off in a few minutes.

The political system is also tailored made for griefers. In fact, Goon Swarm highjacked one of the nation's government a few months ago. They gamed the ecosystem "protection" feature so that no one could kill low level mobs to level up without incurring "citizenship point" penalities that turned them into outlaws. Needless to say, players left in droves.

It's too bad, the art design and sound are wonderful. The feedback from the skill animations is very satisfying. And the turn-based combat has a lot of depth.

However, the designers seem to have forgotten lessons learned back in the day of Ultima Online. I can't see how the game can maintain a large enough player base to remain viable in the stable of a publisher like Square Enix.

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 7:25PM JohnCarradine said

@JohnCarradine

One more griefing mechanic I forgot to mention.

In keeping with the malleable aspect of the environment, players can not only plant trees, crops etc., but also destroy them. This is done to balance the ecosystem, as part of the Gaia vibe of the game.

Again, griefer's paradise. You might just love planting the cute little trees or artichokes. But the next guy just loves trampling them to death, just as soon as you put them down, and taunting you in chat about it.

Good times.

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 7:36PM Beau Hindman said

@JohnCarradine While I agree with you that this *could* happen, there's a difference between that and it actually happening commonly. As much as I have played (although admittedly, not into the high levels) I never once saw any of these happen.

I'm not saying it cannot or will not, just that it's possible that they will not only enforce against griefing but that there will simply be more non-griefers. It will be interesting to see, though.

Beau

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 7:48PM JohnCarradine said

@Beau Hindman

I started playing just over a week ago with open beta.

The trampling of freshly-planted seeds happened to me 2 days ago. It was literally the first time I used the skill, and after I had planted 3 trees. There was also a post in the official forums yesterday complaining about the same behaviour.

I haven't seen or encountered any ganking yet. This could be a function of the turn-based combat. A griefer looking for their fix might be less inclined to start a 5 minute PvP round. I just wonder though what other griefing-inclined exploits are waiting for me as I continue to play.

My fear is that the ad blitz typical of a major game launch (which Square Enix probably needs to recoup its investment) will sink the game. The general gamer (which they are aiming for, not niche "sandbox" types) will encounter the griefing and be turned off. Bad word of mouth kills the newb hose.

A soft indie launch, on the other hand, would give them time to work out the griefing exploits, while not leaving a bad taste in people's mouths.

Overall though, I think the game is launching way too early. Square Enix is clearly pushing it out the door.

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 8:06PM odericko said

@JohnCarradine Ankama said again and again SE isn't affecting the launch date in any way. Talking without any digging beforehand just creates problems.

Posted: Jan 18th 2012 10:53PM Everfaust said

@Beau Hindman ~ you only experienced the atmosphere of a *new* player. those of us that have been here a few years, know better.

the game IS a griefers paradise, punishes creativity or *real* tactics and has no real pull past the first few weeks.

it's sad because this game could be something great.. if you'd like to see a full review of the game from a vet's prospective, feel free ta check out youtube.com/watch?v=aR04GuFkj_M
or any of the other vids on my channel.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM