Posted: Jan 14th 2012 7:49PM h4ngedm4n said

I never really saw the point of including crafting in FFXI and FFXIV anyway. In the Final Fantasy franchise, singleplayer, items are typically acquired through npc shop purchase or monster drops. Crafting just feels like an afterthought, slapped on because MMOs are "supposed" to have crafting. I'm not sure what demographic of player really goes to a Final Fantasy game in order to look for a good crafting experience? It makes as much sense as claiming to play Street Fighter for the "story".

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 10:43PM Irem said

@h4ngedm4n
In XI it was because MMOs are "supposed" to have crafting, I think, but in XIV I can definitely understand why they put it in, because it was very popular in the first game (despite being almost prohibitively expensive to level and very hard to profit from unless you'd had the craft at max level since dinosaurs roamed the earth). There are still people in XI who play only to craft and sell items, which IIRC is where the idea of dedicated crafting classes came from in the first place.

Posted: Jan 18th 2012 12:28AM JuliusSeizure said

@h4ngedm4n

IIRC, every main series Final Fantasy game since VIII has had some form of crafting.

You were saying?

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 8:22PM (Unverified) said

Hmm.. To my recollection the original team wanted crafting classes to take part in the main story line. Having them being equally useful in battle Tanaka kinda danced around the subject a little. I remember him stating that for instance: "A miner might have an ability that will make monsters weak to a certain element." I do not however remember them saying that combat abilities woulb benefit crafters or visa versa.

To all fairness ot the original team they kept their promise about crafters being able to experience the story from star tto finish as a crafter/gatherer. All battle content in the story line was either won by NPC interactions, by use of your NPC companion, or by use of a gimick.

ALL STORY LINE BATTLE CONTENT WAS DEFEATABLE WITH OUT DIRECTLY ENGAGING IN BATTLE YOURSELF.

This made the storyline boring and uneventful. They had to dumb it down to the lowest common denominator and apply it to game system. Letting crafters participate in the story I think was the one single biggest mistake the old team did in FFXIV.

Under the new team, Yoshi has stated that only battle classes will be able to partake inthe ver 2.0 story. Which I think will lead to better gameplay, better community and overall a better game.

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 10:54PM Irem said

To be honest, the way Yoshida is planning to do it is what I originally thought would be the case when they first talked about dedicated crafting and gathering classes (I swear I remember one of the devs directly addressing XI players who just wanted to stay in town all the time and craft). As long as they're full-featured and paid attention to, I think it's still a huge step up from crafting systems in most MMOs, where there's no option to play a civilian character and actually do much of anything. Many games even tie crafting and gathering to class level, ensuring that you have no choice but to make your character a combatant even if what you really want to play is the village tailor.

And it does kind of make sense that a person who wants to start poking dangerous things would need to know some combat skills. I think it's awesome that they've added ways for characters to gather without needing to fight, but until they add Diplomat as a class option, I doubt the big bads are going to be much impressed with our cooking prowess.

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 12:56PM Naru now in 3D said

Even if it isn't feasible for crafters to get through the main storyline, I really REALLY like the idea of crafting classes getting some unique combat abilities and combat classes getting some unique crafting abilities.

Plus, why can't crafters have their own *separate* storyline, in addition to the main storyline that requires powerful combat skills?

I hope this happens someday!

Posted: Jan 18th 2012 7:53AM h4ngedm4n said

I wouldn't know, I only played #1-8, which were enjoyable singleplayer games. Not sure why you felt the need to defend a poorly implemented crafting system anyway. Check out A Tale in the Desert for an example of mmo crafting done well. It was even covered on this site's Game Archaelogist:

Posted: Jan 18th 2012 7:54AM h4ngedm4n said

Argh, replied wrong. This previous reply was meant @JuliusSeizure above. Curse lack of editing.