Posted: Jan 15th 2012 2:20PM Poordevil said

I read his original post and also his follow up clarification and answer to readers questions.

He makes an intelligent enough case and all, but personally I am not persuaded. I think being immersed in a game world is more than a passing trend, but rather a core attribute of any game. In fact I think immersion defines gaming in a broad sense. Immersion is elusive for devs to create, but the more success they have at taking a crack at it, the more I am willing to play their game.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 12:38AM (Unverified) said

@Poordevil There are different types of games and different types of immersion. What Kostler seems to be arguing is that casual games played on mobile devices tend not to be immersive. Fair enough, but just because the proportion of people playing casual games on mobile devices may be increasing, that doesn't mean that the absolute number of people playing core games on either PCs or consoles is going down.

In the single-player realm, look at the recent titles that have made huge amounts of money:

- Skyrim
- Deus Ex
- Bioshock
- Mass Effect 1/2
- Fallout 3/New Vegas

You may like or dislike each of the titles on this list, but they're all clearly immersive in one way or another.

In the MMO world, I'd argue that SWTOR is the most immersive MMO ever made -- for a certain type of immersion, which is immersion with the story and characters, as opposed to the interplayer interactions.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 2:16PM Space Cobra said

As Poordevil mentioned, Koster has responded. In fact, he was "floored" by the passion of responses (44 so far) that he wrote an "all-in-one FAQ" to handle it. Here is the link:

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 2:19PM Space Cobra said

@Space Cobra

And so, I was sorta right in thinking he probably wrote this in the middle of the Night (Well, that was one of my theories).

I also will take, no *thrust* the credit for this particular reply onto my shoulder! From his FAQ:

" *Aren’t you just being a crotchety old man about this? Look to the future!*

Koster : I usually look too far into the future, actually. ;)

I, and anyone, really, is entitled to miss something that they see themselves as losing, while also being excited about what is yet to come. "

Yes, thank you, Mr. Koster! ;) Also, I totally understand about stripping things and seeing them one way (mathmatically) and then stripping them to see the other side (Artistically). I will admit my math is poor, but I do grasp limits and work within them, especially in game-design.