Posted: Jan 14th 2012 1:33PM Dunraven said

I really could care less what they sell LOTRO isn't about progression and the gear you get it's about adventuring in Middle earth with my friends,

One of the consultants who worked with Turbine on the F2P conversion made a comment over at the TOR forums that LOTRO had about 1.5 to 2 million concurrent users and the vast majority of them bought from the store...so the game is doing very well and is hardly a failboat.

This won't change that.

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 3:20PM Lenn said

@Dunraven Not many mind the cosmetic items in the store. All my VIP points are spent on them. But check that thread on the forum and see how "popular" this latest addition to the store is. It won't change the experience for you, and it's not something I will be losing any sleep over, but don't underestimate the impact this is having. It's not the armour that's the problem, it's the broken promise.

Posted: Jan 18th 2012 7:02AM Wayshuba said

@Dunraven First, if a consultant siad that on the TOR forums it is a blatant and bold faced lie meant for nothing more than to pump his/her own resume. TOR alone claims only 1.5M subscribers since launch. There is no way in hack LOTRO is near those numbers.

Second, for a consultant to post such numbers also opens him/her up for lawsuits. It is ILLEGAL to post such information without express written permission of WB. Sorry, but it is the law.

Third, I personally palyed LOTRO for four years. It is now blatnatnly obvious that Turbine is about making the quarterly numbers. Last year they may have succeeded in short term, long term they did a lot of damage with their existing, and paying, customer base. I was formally one of their customers. I loved the game but I have come to despise Turbine business practices which, quite honestly, have become the sleaziest in the entire MMO industry.

There is an old saying, "You make your own bed and you lie in it." Turbine made their bed last year and this year, are going to try everything possible to avoid lying in it. Too late, the damage is done.

Lastly, I am a TOR player and I can attest that many, many players in TOR are long-time LOTRO players that have not inclination to go back to Turbine. I can personally document more than a hundred of these players.

Turbine has alienatied a good portion of their customer base. Good luck to them surviving the damge they had created. Before the year is over, I'm sure everything available in game - including rare loot drop and set armor - will be available in the store. This game is in its last throes, watch what things are loke by the end of 2012.

Posted: Jan 15th 2012 3:00PM Uthink said

Really?

"While the gear in question has reasonable stats, it certainly raises the specter of the game's heading toward pay-to-win territory by having it for sale at all."

How do you win LotRO? And what to you get when you win? Why this might apply to a PvP game. I dont see how it applies here at all. Your thoughts?

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 12:35AM Jorev said

@Uthink

Competition is not limited to PvP.
If you don't acknowledge the variety of areas that PvE can be competitive between players then your view is quite narrow.

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 10:07AM shipwreck said

Oy vey

Posted: Jan 16th 2012 9:16PM Tryptamind said

• 1 heart
The comments sections here seem to filled with whinny spoiled little kids, whose main complain stems from the fact that they can't have mommy and daddy's credit card to spend on a game.

Considering the amount of F2P hate you see here, one would expect this model to be useless.....and yet the games make money. Butt-loads of money. And guess what? The people who make these games also get to see a share of that money, and thus, can make a living from their work. (Isn't that something?!!)

Turbine and Bigpoint have no smokes and mirrors when it comes to their shops. Unlike PWE, which rely on "package sales" that are determined at random, and usually leaves you with junk. So even though they have 2 of my favorite games at the moment, Rusty Hearts and PWI, I will tread very carefully when, and if, I choose to browse the Cash shop.

That is all I am entitled to, I have a choice to invest or not. I have a choice to PLAY or not. What I am not entitled to, is to expect people to work tirelessly on a project of the size of an MMO game and then not see any kind of money for their blood and sweat. That, my friends, is slavery. It's also rank ignorance.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 10:38AM Softserve said

@Tryptamind I think there are several people who just hit these F2P threads with some canned responses and in their cases I think you have a point.

I do not think that's reflective of this thread as a whole. And I certainly don't think it's reflective of the related thread on the official forums or the long-running fansites that aren't pleased about this either.

Turbine outright lied about this.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 2:04PM Tryptamind said

@Softserve Agreed. Although I can't call a company changing sales models a "lie." At the end of the day, business takes precedence. That is the dividing line between F2P gamers and P2P.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 10:29AM Softserve said

I don't think you can go to extremes in either direction.

I have a problem with this. I do NOT (as implied by others) have a problem giving money to Turbine.

I am a Premium player and have bought every permanent piece of content in this game -- all instances, all skirmishes, all expansions and all quest packs. I have bought a decent amount of random crap too.

The problem to me isn't how "good" this gear is. I think that's largely irrelevent. To me there are two real problems here:

1. Turbine was quoted as saying they would not add stat armor to the shop. Now they are. They completely went against their word on this one. I was largely fine with previous additions to the store, but lying to me?

I bought a significant amount of content for this game under the belief (it wasn't even an assumption -- they outright said it!!) that the game would not go in that direction. Now they're going that direction and basically telling me "oh well".

That's not cool. I would have not spent this money otherwise and I feel almost like I was defrauded.

2. The actual "issue" as given by Sapience is that there wasn't enough low level armor on the AH. How in the world would this fix that? This change bypasses the AH entirely. So instead of a low level player spending 20 silver on a crappy piece of armor they'll use for 5 levels, they have to spend 5+ dollars? THAT is the first adjustment Turbine considers?

Furthermore, low level armor is often traded away for free. I see it in trade channels constantly in starter hubs and I'm willing to bet if people asked in chat an Armorer would offer to make some. You make so much of the stuff to raise your crafting level and it's so un-valuable that it makes no sense to put it in the AH. It's a pain in the ass.

There are many adjustments that could have been made to the AH or armor system to compensate for this, but instead they go the route of betraying the customers who still continued to believe them.

I've been playing this game almost since launch. I had one of the more successful blogs about the game (MMeOw.net) and I regularly participate on others. I post on the forum as semjaza. Most of the time I've been overly defensive of this game because I still, even today, enjoy playing it. But this pisses me off and I feel stupid because I continued to be optimistic. In this case a lot of the doomsayers proved to be right.

So yeah, whatever gear this is doesn't matter -- I just can't trust Turbine to do anything they say now. First it was no statted gear. Now it's no high level gear. When will that change too? After I drop another $200+ into this game?

No f-ing thanks.

I'm going to continue to use what I paid for, but I will not be spending any additional money on this game until things like this change. They might as well lose something on me continually playing this for nothing.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 10:32AM Softserve said

I will add that the "stat tomes" were beyond gray area too. As someone mentioned on the official forums, if paying customers were given access to a new equipment slot and only store bought items could go in there -- we'd all be pissed.

If it's just a permanent stat tome? Oh well, Turbine kept their "word". I could at least delude myself in that situation. Not here.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 3:08PM SwarlesBarkley said

I'm late, this news totally passed me by somehow... So here is my .02...

This is another step in the wrong direction.. Sure its mediocre armour this time, but it will not be that way forever... What about the people who cry out that their kinship is too small to run the best raids to obtain the best gear? Will those people also get their wish and have armour available in the store? Where does it end?

The excuse that they are trying to give the fans what they want is BS at best. It does not take that long to level up an alt to do armour. I know seeing as how I have leveled up every craft to max on Lotro (before August that is, have not played since then to level up the new tier...) Also you can buy bonuses to help level crafting now so its even easier, not to mention the special recipe packs that are bound upon purchasing. This just wreaks of more promises broken to the original members and more convenience for the new crowd who seems to be all that Turbine caters to anymore. I hate to see Lotro goes this way, but it looks as if I was wrong about F2P ruining Lotro, it is now officially done.. W2G Warner Bros. on ruining an awesome gaming experience.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014