Posted: Jan 13th 2012 7:10PM Yellowdancer said

@Deadalon

Actually, they could have just updated quests to give out this mid level gear.

Or increase the drop rate of gear. Lots of ways to handle this without a cash shop.

This is what they wanted...they just had to find a way to spin it.

Well, all the people who said company X needs to be like Turbine....hope your wish never comes true.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 7:13PM (Unverified) said

Sapience's statement is 100% BS.

People like me, who LOVED crafting on LOTRO, would have been thrilled to flood the AH with low-level crit crafted gear. We were dying to. But TURBINE limits the drop rate on the crit components so low that it was impossible to do so. If there "isn't a lot" of great low-level gear, it's Turbine's fault, and they are already perfectly aware of it.

If they really just wanted to make good gear available to low-level players, there are a hundred ways to do it IN GAME. Like every other game already does. Quest rewards. Boss drops. Raising the drop rate for crit components so they are easier for crafters to obtain.

But to first lower crit component drop rates, then create STORE ONLY items with run speed bonuses and competitive stats to what crafters can offer? Disgusting.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 10:00AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

I don't have a max player. I play LOTRO as a casual, world exploring sandbox style game. I love crafting, and I've made a *ton* of money making the low tier (e.g. below 50) sets. Its one of the few MMOs i've played where I can buy raw materials, use them to make gear, and sell the gear at a profit -- this is impossible in Rift or WoW.

So I realize there's alot of complaints of "Pay to win!" and how Turbine has channeled the power of Morgoth to irreversibly corrupt the MMO marketplace... but I see the complaints as coming from intellectual purists who probably don't even play LOTRO now. Shadows of Angmar is a 1997 game; selling non-capped gear in the store to help speed the leveling of alts (or just as convenience) does nothing to undermine the game.

If this was a discussion of buying premade level capped characters, or raid tier gear, or cash-only advantages, then the venom being expressed in the majority of these posts would have merit.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 10:37AM Softserve said

@(Unverified) I've been thinking the same thing. If the community realized this was that much of a problem you know what we'd do? We'd make a ton of it and put it up there.

As I mention later on, there was no real reason to do that. I've never seen anyone lamenting this stuff wasn't on the AH. In fact, most of it was traded for free in the chat channel either just because someone was leveling their Armorer skill or because someone asked for it.

I'm not going to be blamed for Turbine putting $5 Level 20 armor on the store.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 7:55PM Keen and Graev said

I do believe I told you so.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 9:12PM jimr9999us said

@Keen and Graev
lol, and you got so much hate for calling it 100% right! There is no f2p...it will always be p2w.

Such a sad end for a truly great game.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 8:19PM foomchee said

Bad move Turbine. There is plenty of gear on the AH or it can be crafted or gained from quests easily. Here's a crazy conept Turbine... how about updating quest rewards and crafting with better gear if there is a lack of gear. Lame.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 9:05PM chernabog said

I never thought I'd be doing this as a lifetime subscriber (who gets 500 TP "free" per month) but Lotro is getting deleted from my hard drive. All of the promises Turbine made to the players have now been broken. Nothing since Mirkwood has been worth playing. I'll remember the game fondly from daily logins for a few years with good kinship friends, but just seeing that icon on my games list makes me depressed.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 10:21PM mael said

• 1 heart
unless your a crafter or in a Kinship getting crafted low armor is pretty hard from the AH

A) it's overpriced for a low level
B) there none on the AH
C) you do skirmishes to get average armor
D) you wear quest rewards
E) you get it from the turbine store

-- I really dont see a problem with this or a reason to go all nuts on turbine because of this . just ignore and play your game.

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 7:26PM Zeddakis said

• 1 heart
@mael

Exactly, well said. Nice to see a reasonable and objective post.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 11:09PM Stormwaltz said

"Many players have given us feedback that there is a sparsity of gear on the AH at these levels and they wanted an alternative. We're trying to accomodate that."

BS.

I went through LoTRO in the rough early years - before the level 1-20 content was completely redesigned by Allan "Orion" Maki - and I never wanted for good equipment. It's even better now, with rewards in each n00b zone carefully balanced. And for goodness' sake, new characters even get a "Russian doll" loot package that provides a slew of powerful bonus equipment every 5-10 levels!

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 11:23PM Alph said

HA!

Gee I didn't call this years ago.

See, you give them an inch and they take miles after miles.

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 12:38AM Rialle said

Sad. This game used to be respectful towards the spirit of the Middle-Earth IP.

Now they've made Middle-Earth pay-to-win. They might as well allow you to spend $1000 and get your character Shadowfax, Anduril, and the One Ring.

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 7:27PM Zeddakis said

• 1 heart
@Rialle

Face plam...

Sigh...

Rialle fails.

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 1:33AM (Unverified) said

"[Update: On the official forums Sapience commented about the sale saying, "It's lower level gear. Many players have given us feedback that there is a sparsity of gear on the AH at these levels and they wanted an alternative. We're trying to accomodate that."]"

*cough* Update crafting *cough*

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 4:05AM BGExorcist said

Basically totaly lost my interest after codemasters gave up on the game, and turbine floods my email with cash shop sales every hour or so.

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 10:55AM (Unverified) said

glad i left when i did. They completely screwed up the expansion and now they've completely screwed up a perfectly good F2P model. And no despite popular bandwagoning on this comment thread ALL F2P don't eventually lead here, the devs of some games get pushed into the corner by stupid execs who don't have any clue much like the too early release of SWTOR they needed a good six more months.

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 11:31AM Sean D said

I recently stopped playing LotRO around September/October, and maybe things have changed since then, but I never had a problem finding equipment or progressing through the game because of a lack of equipment. Sapience's argument, "It's lower level gear. Many players have given us feedback that there is a sparsity of gear on the AH at these levels and they wanted an alternative. We're trying to accomodate that," doesn't really float. I don't doubt they've received such feedback, but in the face of saving one's reputation and holding to one's word, this ridiculous feedback should be disregarded.

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 11:57AM Jypsy said

• 1 heart
Yawn. I play PvE so it really doesn't bother me at all. if it means a game i enjoy can exist much longer than it could otherwise, rock on.

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 12:11PM xyna031 said