Posted: Jan 13th 2012 4:03PM Ehra said

@jmerriex

"Basically this is just gear for newbies to use while leveling."

The fact that they're charging 450 TP for newbie gear that'll last all of 2 hours of gameplay at the most is insulting enough without even getting into the precedent it may or may not set.

This doesn't benefit anyone. Hell, I don't seven see how this even benefits Turbine. They can't seriously think anyone is actually going to buy this. What purpose is there in adding this other than to piss people off? Unless they plan on new players that don't know any better buying it?

It's just a stupid move all around.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 4:26PM Ocho said

@Ehra Listen. People WILL buy this. I'm sure of it. Cash shops are a popular choice of money making for a reason. However (and I'm sure Beau will agree with me), who cares? They aren't top level stuff! Until I hear that whatever is put into the store is a complete game-changer and is a pure 'I Win' item, it doesn't matter to MY playing. Its items that aren't even valid in PvP! So it doesn't affect anything there either! Basically, it helps players level up. Fine. So do experience scrolls... so do store potions... so do heirloom items... so do any number of items... they just help in leveling, and they're tapping the market of players who enjoy ignoring content just to get to the end-game.

Those of us who Enjoy the leveling process won't care, and won't purchase it. But believe me... there will be a LOT of people buying it just so they can have a one-up in the speed-leveling category. As F2P has shown... speed playing and impatience are the best money makers. As long as when I get to end game, after spending a reasonable amount akin to any other game F2P or P2P, I'm still a viable player then I'm still fine with whatever time-skips they put in, be it scrolls, items, whatever.

It doesn't affect MY PvE playing, so I could really care less, but turst me when I say that they put this in the store BECAUSE it is in demand and MMO players WILL buy it.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 4:33PM Ehra said

@Ocho

This doesn't even make sense from a power gamer's point of view. I could be wrong so correct me if so, but I'm pretty sure crit crafted gear at the level this stuff is meant for is better. So the only market i can see for this stuff is new players that haven't realized yet what a crappy deal it is.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 5:13PM (Unverified) said

@Ehra

Newbies dont have access to crit-crafted gear ...

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 6:59PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
Ridiculous. Any brand new level 6 player can spend an hour farming light hides in the Shire and walk away with 1 gold for their efforts - more than enough to purchase a couple pieces of crit-crafted gear on the AH, which at least on my server, would sell for no more than 200 - 300 silver each.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 9:19PM jimr9999us said

@jmerriex
2 points:
1.Turbine directly lied to the playerbase about gear being sold
2.Do you honestly think this will be the last/best gear offered in the Turbine store? Why wouldn't an Amazing looking tricked out 1st age staff be next? And could you even trust Turbine if they said that wasn't coming?

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 5:47AM Yuri said

@Ehra
It seems like a beginning.
Your first steps on dangerous ground should always be innocuous as possible.
I suspect they'll take further steps if there isn't a strong negative response.
This is where they watch what the players do vs. what the players say.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 3:50PM Oskari said

And boom goes the dynamite.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 3:50PM pcgneurotic said

• Half a heart
omg, here comes another tidal wave of moaning and righteous fury. Unleash the Hate Beasts!

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 6:48PM Utakata said

@pcgneurotic

It's a shame, I thought you where one of the more enlightened posters above tone trolling.

...and in this case, when it comes to Pay to Win, the hate is legit. Just saying.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 3:51PM (Unverified) said

Wow not cool at all. Depending on how they handle this, I may just quit altogether.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 3:51PM Nerves said

That gear is terrible, and the prices are outrageous. I suppose not for a starting character, but how long do people think these are going to last for? Seriously, you could buy a quest pack for the price of a few of these. This is a total rip-off.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 3:52PM Lucifon said

Poor effort Turbine....

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 3:54PM (Unverified) said

Wow, bummer I was going to check this game out this weekend, had it been good I'd have gone premium as well. Another game to scratch off my painfully short list of title I am curious about.

As far as being newbie gear, it doesn't matter to me, selling any gear w/stats in the game store means I wont play.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 3:55PM cursedlegend said

the biggest problem of all: people will keep playing it and pay for this...

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 3:55PM Ehra said

I don't understand why they would do this. I mean, going by the stats it looks like this is, like, level 20 gear so it's not pay to win. But what's the point of adding it? It's like they did it JUST so they could go "but it's crappy low level gear, so who cares?"

I've been a staunch supporter of Turbine for a long, long time, but this just seems..... dumb. Not even greedy or evil or whatever people feel like calling capitalism. Just dumb. Who the hell is ever going to spend 450 turbine points on cloth armor with 277 armor, 8 will, 8 fate, and 8 vit? This doesn't even have the "benefit" for Turbine of being good armor that people would "need" which would get more people to throw them money, it's just worthless junk that will serve no purpose other than pissing people off. Maybe they're trying to set a precedent and are slowly going to roll out higher and higher level gear? I just don't understand.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 3:56PM Lenn said

I sincerely hope this is where it ends as far as selling armour goes.

However, the armour is crap. Players can get much better by crafting it themselves or buying it from others who can craft it.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 3:57PM Sorithal said

Meh... even as a LotRO subscriber there was still this sense that Turbine was trying to press subscribers to pay for cash shop items as well.

LotRO was good, and it's good that they're successful and all with F2P, but... eh. Not the game for me now.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 3:59PM Kalex716 said

Well, life will go on.

This does show that once you start to introduce a storefront, you are obligated to keep coming up with creative and effective ways to get people to continue to buy and support it....

This is how a business is compelled to succeed.

Where you draw the line today, will be called into question tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. Whether this is good or bad isn't the point i'm trying to make, its really just a matter of time before it gets challenged.

I'm pretty sure Blizzard went on the record once and said no Panda's... but Design leads change, time goes on, and sooner or later someone says "wait, why did we originally say that?"

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 4:09PM Lenn said

@Kalex716 But why crappy armour? It doesn't even have unique skins to entice people who don't need it to buy it anyway, just to fill up a few more wardrobe slots. Turbine should stick to selling the cosmetic stuff and mounts. They're good at designing them. In fact, they've only been getting better and better at it.