Posted: Jan 12th 2012 6:17PM pid said

• Half a heart
My prediction: Indies getting less scared of the big gorillas out there (WoW, EQ2, RIFT, SWTOR) and trying new stuff risking more to find their niché. 2012 will be a year where no really big MMO comes out (despite, maybe, GW2 but it is not really an MMO) and western devs "strike back" on the eastern invasion of F2P titles.

Posted: Jan 12th 2012 6:52PM Warsyde said

@pid

Umm, Guild Wars 2 is absolutely an MMO. Guild Wars wasn't really, but Guild Wars 2 is a new beast in a more typical MMO vein. It's an open world persistent setting where players run around in the same space fighting the same enemies. How is it not an MMO?

Rather than a prediction I'll make a wish - I would like to see a major F2P game developed by a western developer for a western audience with that being the intention from the start. Something that uses western gamers' preferences for art style and interface, without F2P being a tacked on addition like with LotRO, EQ2, or CoH. Those are all good games, but going from subscription to F2P results in a clunky and inconsistent user experience.

Posted: Jan 12th 2012 7:03PM (Unverified) said

@Warsyde : I approve of your wish. Hopefully looking at a runaway success in the non-MMO F2P space like League Of Legends will provide some incentive.

Posted: Jan 12th 2012 9:38PM (Unverified) said

@pid
"GW2 but it is not really an MMO"
Is this some kind of in-joke or are people still this dumb?

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 1:22AM wahahabuh said

@(Unverified) people are still that dumb

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 5:05AM Dblade said

@pid Actually 2010-2011 were the years that indie MMORPGs as a concept started to die. It used to be the next big thing was supposed to be indie FFA PvP sandboxes, but game after game failed to ship, or shipped with so many issues or bugs that it disenchanted a lot of people.

Mortal Online, Darkfall, Dawntide, Xyson, Perpetuum, and Earth Eternal's death are a few of the things that made this trend. Some had to be rescued: Fallen Earth only survives by being acquired and turned into F2P.

I think 2012 is going to be the year of stagnation. the big MMOs like TOR, GW2, and Rift will continue to lead the market, while bit players will fight out for scraps as F2P games or stagnate with a stable population of top-heavy vets like in EVE.

Posted: Jan 12th 2012 7:07PM drginger said

Is the felis catus depicted in the photography owned by Mr. Lefebvre ? It looks quite sophisticated.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 1:52AM Borick said

I predict that in 2012 more people will be seeking escape into online environments, but I don't see any single thing taking a solid lead until Guild Wars 2 comes out.

When GW2 launches I may stop caring. I'll be too busy playing to be bothered.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 2:08AM (Unverified) said

That cat looks exactly like my cat.

Posted: Jan 13th 2012 9:31AM theBeast said

When is released everything will change. And by "everything will change" I mean it will stay the same.

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 10:24AM J45neoboy said

Will Star Wars: The Old Republic continue to rise in subscription numbers throughout the year?