Posted: Jan 11th 2012 12:24PM SkyStreak said

I had very little interest in DCUO when it was released simply due to it's cost. $40-$60 for a retail box and $15 a month after when I already play a superhero MMO was too much.

Fast forward to f2p, and I was all over it!

I immediately bought the Green Lantern DLC, which also opened up 6 character slots.

I definitely enjoy it. The combat is arcadey, fast and fun. The setting is AMAZING. I'm actually flying around Gotham and Metropolis!

That said, I am not a raid or PvP guy, so..... There's just not much for me to do at end game.

I did take advantage of the Triple Points Bonus last month and used it to snag the Flash DLC (basically for free), and I'll definitely pop in and out, but it will never be my number one game.

In all DCUO is a great place to visit, but I have no plans of moving there.

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 12:43PM Raevhen said

Am I the only one who hated the controls for the PC? I don't want to have to do key combos to activate powers while using a PC. Sure I could get an X-Box controller, but that seems silly to buy a controller for a F2P game. I played it for a few days after it went F2P, then stopped because of the controls, with no way to re-map the keystrokes I didn't feel SOE cared much about my gaming experience, and were focusing on the console gamers.

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 12:51PM Vic Fontaine said

@Raevhen
The fact that it's on console is half it's appeal. Hell, I've seen this used a bulletpoint in several PS3 vs 360 discussions (everyone loves getting a free game :) )

I do wish the Superman raids were still open but oh well.

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 2:15PM JediSeer said

@Raevhen

No, definitely not. This is one of the main reasons why I've moved on.

I hated the controls in this game. My cousin kept telling me to play it with a 360 controller, but if I wanted to do that I would have simply purchased the game for my PS3.

I'll be posting my own article on the game's one year anniversary on my site, later today

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 1:03PM Space Cobra said

I wonder how the server merger is now handling all the f2p traffic?

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 1:19PM Vic Fontaine said

@Space Cobra
There's a wait during peak hours, but the worst it's ever been is 4k people. That was within a week of it going F2P, now it's usually less than 2K on weekends, usually less than 1K on weekdays. Usually didn't take me more than 10 minutes to get on. All of this was before I went premium, since then there's been almost no wait at all.

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 4:40PM Protoavis said

@Space Cobra

The highest I've seen as premium in the last month or so is "you are number 4 in line" which has been a 2 second wait.

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 1:20PM Valkenr said

"...and SOE made the pack available free of charge for DCUO subscribers."

I had to stop here and reply, the quote should be:

"...and SOE made the pack available free of charge for DCUO subscribers after extorting as much money as they could by charging $9.99 for the first few months of it's deployment."

I love DCUO's gameplay mechanics, But I hate SOE 1, for what it did to SWG(pre-cu) and 2 for being the most obvious bait-and-switch. The game reeked of F2P and was planned to be F2P then some guy at SOE realized how much money could be made if they charged for it, then waited for the game to inevitably collapse into one populated server, then announce super servers, then announce F2P, what the game should have been the whole time.

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 1:55PM Yellowdancer said

@Valkenr

Well, the first DLC launched free. They said they were going to charge but changed that before the DLC launched.

They actually did say they spent too much money in development and had to launch as a standard sub. So it was a bait and switch for everyone that doesn't read IGN. I actually don't care. Well worth the money in my book.

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 1:29PM edgecrusherO0 said

It's pretty good now but I agree, it does have a long way to go before it's a "feature-complete" MMO. I still think the game will always suffer a bit from being simultaneous developed for consoles. PC and consoles just don't mix well in terms of translating user interfaces, in game mechanics, and a slew of other development decisions.

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 1:40PM Russell Clarke said

While I enjoyed this when it first came out, the awful PC UI killed my enjoyment of the game pretty quickly. Went back a few weeks ago to see if anything had changed, but alas, nothing.

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 2:42PM Space Cobra said

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 3:37PM nhat said

Franchise based game are usually a big miss and have a long history alllll the way back to the atari days. In the end a game is a GAME and having a game based on a franchise does not make the game fun if the game is crappy.

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 3:50PM Vic Fontaine said

@nhat
You've certainly got a point but licenses can help. I'd much rather smack down the Teen Titans or Batwoman than I would some generic monsters.

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 4:08PM mysecretid said

I have the game on my machine, and I think it's made well-enough -- but I barely play it.

My biggest beef has always been the seriously lack of story content in this game. That lack always seems to make me drift away.

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 5:31PM (Unverified) said

In my experience with DCUO, the month long outage during SOE/PSN's much-publicized hack problem killed the momentum my friends and I had with the game.

Also, while obviously designed with the PS3 in mind, on the PS3, through update 2 at least, it ate the system's memory quickly and players would start to encounter large numbers of silhouetted or missing characters and NPCs, to the point that if a particular NPC or quest objective didn't appear, you'd have to zone back and forth until it did. Why the game didn't prioritize rendering NPCs over players I'll never understand. Wonder if it still does that, but I've about lost all interest in the game by now.

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 5:54PM Bulat said

Stopped playing after I came to Gotham. I was very disappointed with the realization of of this place as well as almost all in game...

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 6:24PM Snappyguy said

Actually really like this game as F2P with cash store. For a games that you have to get a feel for before putting money into, F2P works well :).

Just wish the questing areas weren't 100% City. Could use a forest on the outside of town or something. =\ I guess its mostly lore constraints.

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 9:34PM Faction 3 said

I was a rabid floower and defender of the game when it first launched, hell, my first 150 posts on the forums were telling idiots that nobody cares why they're leaving, or why making the 1168th thread about a obvious bug in the game is as pointless as running shoes on a turtle.

Eventually it wasn't the game that ran me off, but SOE itself, the Pistol Glitch ran for almost a month without any fix or major aknowlegement from the developers. That right there just tossed me off the bandwagon. I came back after about 7 months away, and with the significant improvements, DLC, Raids, extra attention given to issues (notwithstanding the current speedhack), Im pretty much all over it now.

I LOVE how I can phase over to a PvP server without any effort at all. So I can smash the ^%&* out of people, then retire back to the PvE side for collections and such.

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 9:34PM Faction 3 said

@Faction 3

*rabid follower*

Lack of Edit makes me sad...