Posted: Jan 10th 2012 9:16AM Comrade Domovoi said

As someone who bought the game and played when it first came out and checked it out here and there as it came along, I gotta say I have no interest whatsoever in playing due to the horribly limited class and race choices for F2P. When you fire up character creation all you see is a bunch of grayed out boxes ready to be bought. Also puts a bad taste in your mouth thinking how bad will it be if you actually start playing.

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 9:57AM hami83 said

@Comrade Domovoi If you were willing to buy and pay monthly for the game why are you even on here complaining?

If you did that you'd have full access to all the classes and races.

I don't quite understand what you're complaining about.

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 12:03PM Comrade Domovoi said

@hami83

The point is that a lot of other F2P titles don't hit you with so many limitations before you can even make a character, which can make it discouraging for new players. The point is I don't want to pay a sub but casually use the store, and needing to use said store for any of the interesting classes or races before I even start playing again is a deal breaker.

Take DCUO, which is another SOE F2P game. You can make all the power sets and weapons (or damn near all of them I don't remember seeing a limitation). LOTRO has only 2 classes for purchase.

Also, what kind of moronic comment is "if I was willing to pay a sub earlier"? I was willing to pay a sub earlier because there was no other choice, but now with so many MMOs out and F2P ones too boot, why would I waste my time on one that bars me from the get-go from doing what I want? I'm saying from a consumer point of view with regards to F2P switches, they can either have no income from me as before when I wasn't paying a sub, or they can have some income from me through cash shop transactions instead of none at all. If I don't even want to make a character due to the limitations without buying anything, I'm not going to play period.

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 12:35PM Yellowdancer said

@Comrade Domovoi

You're complaining about free.

You get 8 classes, 5 or 6 races and like 90 levels and 9 expansions for free.

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 12:57PM (Unverified) said

@Yellowdancer

But you obviously can't get any sense of what the game is with that limited choice... I mean they let you play to max level in all but the newest content while also being able to play multiple choices from every main class archtype. That just isn't enough to go on.

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 4:39PM Jenks said

@Comrade Domovoi

So no box to buy, plunk down the equivalent of 1 month subscription to access the class you want to play ($7.50) and the race you want + 2 more ($7.50).

If you had no intention of paying anything at all, I'm pretty sure SOE isn't going to miss you.

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 5:21PM (Unverified) said

@Comrade Domovoi : I agree that the class and race restrictions are a bad idea, although I think not for the same reason as you do.

How does F2P work? Simple. You let people start playing for free, you get them hooked on an enjoyable game, and then you give them an opportunity and reason to start spending money.

Locked races and classes? Doesn't fit that pattern. Person starts playing for free. Enjoys the game. Gets hooked. Now you're offering them.. the chance to pay money to throw away the character they've been playing and start again from level 1? That doesn't sound like a winner of an idea to me.

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 7:00PM (Unverified) said

@Comrade Domovoi You are so full of it. Have you tried Age of Conan or LOTRO with their restrictions? Have you tried Allods or DCUO with their Pay-to-Win? What about Battlefield Heroes?

As the prior poster pointed out.. you are bitching because you can't play fully for free when you admit readily you paid in the past. Grow up.

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 9:23AM Yellowdancer said

I thought SOE published its own games in Europe? There are EU servers for all their games. They even have an asian server or two.

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 9:52AM Dumac said

@Yellowdancer
Yeah and NCSoft published it's own games in Europe as well and then with the transition to f2p Lineage 2 and Aion got separate EU publishers. I wonder what is going on there and is this an industry wide trend now.

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 9:49AM MMOaddict said

Good, even though I for better games, lets apply this new found success to the better game on their sideline. VANGUARD!!!!

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 10:29AM pcgneurotic said

I have to say, it is SO nice having the chat channels buzzing again. The problem with long-term players is that they're all psychic, and communicate in chat only with the odd grunt. Having the zones packed again and people actually *talking* in the full range of chat channels is awesome indeed.

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 10:36AM shinobi904 said

@pcgneurotic "The problem with long-term players is that they're all psychic, and communicate in chat only with the odd grunt." Loved reading that. I never stopped to consider how true this is.

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 12:25PM Yellowdancer said

@pcgneurotic

So sad but soooooo true.

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 11:09AM (Unverified) said

I play EQ2 for free and can say that I am having a lot of fun.

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 11:15AM cotheer said

Engine optimization or GTFO.

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 7:06PM (Unverified) said

@cotheer Coming soon!

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 1:22PM ElfLove said

*sigh* I wish the game was working again. I keep getting the 'this application is out of memory' error over and over again. Ever sense I got the newest expansion.....

I want my EQ2 back., it use to be a rock solid game....and now....it's completely unstable. >_<

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 12:27AM Timevalue said

@ElfLove
Yeah I'm having memory problems here too after a session lasting longer than an hour or two, but really enjoying EQ2 as a new F2P'er....converted from LOTRO actually.

Posted: Jan 10th 2012 5:43PM (Unverified) said

This transition led me to trying EQ2 for the third time. The first was a few years back when I bought the game and played for a month, second was when EQ2X first launched.

Sadly, the result was the same as the previous two times. I got to round about level 20-30, and then just couldn't play any more because the combat was so boring. Soooo many near-indistinguishable abilities on 10-20 second cooldowns, so every fight just involved hitting 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0 to use every ability in turn. Then, next pull, the first one had cooled down so I could 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0 again.

I WANT to like EQ2, every time I poke around on the EQ2 wiki or anything I'm stunned by the enormous amount of content and depth there is to the game. But the actual minute-by-minute gameplay is just unplayably boring.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014