Posted: Jan 8th 2012 5:54PM DiscordSK said

Actually the thing that pissed me off more, and led to me not buying any more things from them, was the social armor. Originally they'd sell the pieces seperate, so if you wanted a cool piece of chest armor you'd just grab that for 85 points, or whatever it was.

Then they must have realised that people were doing exactly that, just buying individual pieces and ignoring the bracers/pants/belt/whatever. So they just started bundling it all together, throwing a lump sum price of 400-500 on it and expecting players to buy the set to access the individual piece they actually liked.

Yeah, I realise its not that expensive in the long run... but as a subscriber you would get 45(I think) points a month, so in order to be able to afford a piece of social gear you'd either have to go buy more points, or spend months waiting for your points to add up. Old way, wait a month or use what you've saved up... new way, give them more money or sub fee. Just seemed like a cash grab.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 6:45PM SalmonofAges said

1. Cheaper store prices. I would agree with you here 100%. Strange thing is, there are some great priced items in the shop. I bought the Bossonian Woodland vanity armour for my Shammy (much better look than the mish-mash of quest reward gear I had), and it was only 50-60 points a piece, so 8 pieces for 400-500 funcom points for the lot (seemed reasonable). Yet, some vanity armour sets are over 1000, and for less items. I also regularly buy the 20% AA mastery boosters from the shop - 45 points a pot for 4 hours. Can't be beat. Another wacky decision is the large bags - they charge a kings ransom for them. Funny thing is if they sold them cheap, people might buy more items to fill those larger bags. And then you have similar items with a different skin being wildly differently priced. Madness!
2. Acheivements. I've long thought they should have these. Before playing Guild Wars, I couldn't have cared less. But thier is something about getting that last little thing, or expoloring that last few percent of the map, to get those titles. Not only is it fun to display acheivements / titles, it keeps people going back over old content to get them. I can think of any number of titles that could be added, and it would go great with Khitai and the Hard Modes, etc.
3. Lore Codex. Not something I had even considered really, but on reflection would be extremely handy. Again, Khitai would be great to take advantage of this. The whole who tried to kill Conan arc, and what and Where does Yag-Kosha come from. Sure, you find out much from the questing, but I can't remember it all. A codex / lore log would be fantastic. You could even tie the acheivements to it - different ranks / titles for how much you'd found out. And also a good reason to change factions, other than just to get that last piece of gear.
4. Chronomagic. Never seen this before, but I too have never seen some sub-80 dungeons. Would be nice to get a group together, de-level, and knock them out. Again acheivements could be added.

Oh well, House of Crom will have to do in the meantime, eh? Screenshot or it doesnt exist!

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 7:26PM DarkWalker said

De-leveling the character when going to lowbie zones is also a promised GW2 feature, although in that game it will be compulsory. Loved the idea - and would rather love to see some game implement this on PvP-enabled lowbie zones, the amount of tears from griefers should cause a flood :)

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 8:49PM Poordevil said

I don't use the cash shop too much. Besides the high pricing, it just isn't a lot of fun to buy items. I have way more fun finding them in game as a reward for playing; being dropped from a boss or a mob, or stashed in a remote chest somewhere. I think it would freshen up the game in a big way to go over all the drops and redo them. The mobs have been dropping the same old stuff for too long.

They could have the cash shop for those impatient players who want their stuff right now, but have the stuff drop out in the game world for those who enjoy finding stuff during gameplay and don't mind the wait.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 8:55PM Thorqemada said

In the lower level dungeons like the tarantia sewer, catacombs or the sanctum of burning souls one can find nice pieces of armor that can be worn as vanity armor.
If i remeber right my necromancer wears a combination of armor found there plus one of the atzel instance.
It is the green armor that the first quest npcs in the burning souls sanctum wears but for a female char and makes one a very elegant necromancer compared to the raid look.

In all my ~18 Months of Raiding i never got a fully Raid-outift - always missing the chest - oh Funcom what a great Job with you loot lottery!

Its a sin to never have visited the pyramids and did you at least once the treasury of the ancients?
The first time is really the best bcs you do (hopefully) become surprised and the fear makes your spine shiver.
I have not played much the black citadel bcs its to low level and i only had one other char for a specific group to play with, but its one of the better designs with the trap and stuff.

In general i really feel its time for mmos not only offer themed short time instanced dungeons but also reinvent the dungeon crawl in really big dungeons with a layout that would simulate a "working" dungeon and not a place of useless corridors and sewers where mobs stand around awaiting there slaughter like the Onyx Chambers.

Maybe TSW will deliver?
Maybe they can even bring back a modern version of "Darkness Falls"?

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 10:21PM TortoiseCan said

These issues are not what's really plaguing the game right now for me.These are:

#1 - fix the technical issues. The game has been literally unplayable due to lag spikes for me lately.

#2 - fix the server population. There's not enough people online between their 4 US servers to not justify a merger. You don't feel like you're playing an MMO, you feel like you're playing a single player game.

I love this game but the 2 above problems really make it hard to stick with. The long dungeons are actually really fun, the combat is excellent, and the graphics/sound is amazing. I really can't say many bad things about this game except the fact that you're constantly experiencing lag spikes/listening to the 5 same downtrodden douchebags complain in global all day and nobody to group with between the levels of 30-80 (which is the bulk of the game)

I think your suggestions are all good and would add to the game, but until the fix these above problems, it won't matter what they add to the game, it's a broken experience.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 10:56PM jimr9999us said

Jef, I would love to see you move on to a new game. Your coverage of AoC is consistently outstanding. I love AoC but only managed 6 months of play before moving on. My ToS was fun, the writing and combat animations were great...I could go on...

No apologies needed man...write about what you love :)

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 1:06AM (Unverified) said

As a disgruntled former player, I think they'd be better off a) fixing the broken 3.1 release, b) improving their support system, and c) caring about their subscriber base. Not in that order.

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 7:42AM Shadanwolf said

Crafting has always been broken broken and far from adequate. Words were said it was going to be "worked on". Still no details or timetable..

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 8:37AM Jef Reahard said

@Shadanwolf

This is one that I'm not too worried about based on what Silirrion said in a previous dev diary. The crafting revamp is apparently going to be quite extensive, and it's coming in 2012.

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 2:20PM MasonicAshen said

Really the following tend to be my big things with AoC.

1.)The grind, dare I say this is one of the worst parts about AoC. Now it's not as bad as it once was with offline levels, however then we add in all the other fun little things. The Faction Grind, the AA grind, the gear grind, the PvP level grind (for those of us who don't do Bori) it's like one grind on top of another. Now the faction grind again isn't too bad with the changes made, the AA grind is kinda getting old hell I really wonder how a F2P Player can do PvP without AA's. The gear grind I'll get into in a second, but lastly we have the PvP level grind on top of all of that. Funcom needs to open AA's up to F2P players and lessen the grind with it slightly. Have better ways of grinding PvP XP like oh doing PvP other then hitting rocks for Bori.

2.)The gear grind, this comes into play at high levels but dear god this is insane. First things first crafted gear isn't the most easy thing to get a hold of, hell some of the crafted weapons and armor go for an insane amount, this kills getting good 'starting' gear for new high level players. Tier 1 and 2 raiding just make me wonder what Funcom was doing. By this I mean with the Relic system. Why do we have those Relics, items put in, in order to lessen the gear grind dropping like normal items? Why can't we have them like oh in Tier 3 raids being given to the players when they down a boss. The week long lockout timer isn't helping as well. Getting gear at high level shouldn't be as bad as it is in AoC, hell I wonder why Funcom is putting in Tier 4 raids when a good chunk of the game are still working on getting gear from Tier 3.

3.) Store prices, yeah this is also a sore point with me. Other games give you much more for your buck then AoC does. $50 dollars to get the Tier 1 PvP armor is insane. More so then that giving a paying player just 10% off and 40 points a month is stupid and reeks of being way too greedy. More so then that if you get an item like the social clothing you can only use it on the character you get it on. I've played two other F2P games and they offer ways to let you use the social items on more then one character.

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 5:40PM (Unverified) said

I normally do not agree with Jef on very much, but the lore codex interests me a lot. AoC has always had a great back drop (Howard > Lucas any day). I am hoping that Funcom will put some effort in AoC. As of now, I feel most of their efforts are directed at Secret World.

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 10:25AM Cylien said

No Anvil of Crom for 28 days.
Is the only column following AoC shutting down completely now?
I hope not. :(