Posted: Jan 8th 2012 3:11PM scrubmonkey said

Confusing review.

It sounds like your biggest complain about the game is that it's not more "MMO-like". It's not an MMO. It's a browser game. It's Glitch, or Angry Birds, or Farmville. None of these are deep experiences at all. it's something to play while at work, while you should be doing work, or on the way home on the subway.

Actually, it's pretty amusing: the first time I tried out Glitch, I thought of KoL right away. The mechanics in the two games are basically the same, except Glitch is newer and has shiny graphics.

I guess you either humor in the game, or you don't. After all, these types of games are basically time-wasters, so there's not much depth to look forward to...

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 3:13PM scrubmonkey said

@scrubmonkey
I guess you either humor in the game...

wtb edit button

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 4:04PM odericko said

@scrubmonkey Hmm. I don't have much experience with KoL, but saying Glitch doesn't offer a deep experience isn't true. You can play it casually, yea, but there are some less casual aspects too. That, and there are some features in game (Street Projects, Rook Attacks, Tree Wars, the minigames that aren't just clicking but require actual motor skills) that have no equal in KoL.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 4:10PM Irem said

@scrubmonkey
I've played both KoL and Glitch and while I can see the similarities, Glitch has a lot in the way of MMO features going for it, especially as the game goes on.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 10:11PM scrubmonkey said

@odericko

Played through glitch. Owned a house, capped a character, and played the AH. While Glitch had some potential to have MMO elements, they were exceedingly underdeveloped and/or so rare that they were barely relevant (see: rook attacks). In fact, those complaints were the reason that Glitch went back into beta, are they not?

Had a pretty high level saucerater too, a long time ago. The game doesn't change much in the higher levels, but I didn't really expect much. I played it at work to kill time.

Both games are what they are: fundamentally shallow experiences with similar mechanics.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 3:45PM jimr9999us said

• 1 heart
I was a little disappointed to see you used your Massively credentials to threaten the community Beau. That's not ethical opinion or reporting.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 3:52PM Fakeassname said

@jimr9999us

well the "community" you refer to in this case was only one person, who knows if he even was a GM, and all Beau said was "BTW: I'm a gaming journalist and you just made this game's community look like ass."

... and he was being an ass.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 5:35PM Beau Hindman said

@jimr9999us I didn't threaten. If I had come out in the chat first thing and said "If you say anything mean, I will put it in my article.." then that would be a threat. I simply replied publicly to a troll in case the mods (the ones I was never able to tell from the regular players) needed more evidence to stop him. I wasn't even sure how to reply to a tell at that point, although I had found out days before. (My old memory! lol)

I said that simply because it was true. The game didn't give me a lot to work with, so I was almost happy to have an event pop up that would be noteworthy. After all, how a community treats new players is one of the most important things.

Anyway, I apologized and later attempted to joke around with them. The same mod basically made a joke about me and at that point I knew they really didn't take much to new people. So, I moved on. As I pointed out, some members of the community did reach out to me, though.

Thanks for the comments guys and gals!

Beau

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 6:49PM (Unverified) said

@Beau Hindman while I see that that might have been an issue, there are around 17 different chat channels in the game, If you were in /noob that might have been your problem, I know you would think that it would be a channel for advice, but its where all the trolls hang out. its also one of the least moderated channels. as you progress in the game you can unlock additional and more sophisticated channels, such as /hardcore /valhalla /limerick /haiku and /villa. still I can see why it would be offputting, I rarely play any more, even though i've ascended 25 times, and I have more meat than I know what to do with. however, in short my advice would be, find a big nice clan and ask them for help and advice, because a lot of the open channels are full of trolls.

And while it might seem a bit silly, getting something like kolmafia, which is a bot that goes through the monotony of combat with the random trash monsters and such and can complete quests, could be helpful if you ever decide to go back.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 3:47PM Fakeassname said

hey Beau, ever heard of "Grand Fantasia"?

it's kinda old, but the mechanics are pretty good in that leveling is smooth and character development is a nice mix of having a bit of technicality with out being complicated.

the game world is fairly big and the art sytle/design makes me think of a simplified Mabinogi in theme park mode.

all in all the game is pretty solo friendly (lvl 25 ATM).

I'm not sure if you've tried this game already, but you seem to be running low on "new" titles to review, so ....

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 3:56PM (Unverified) said

Kingdom of Loathing is a game that is a bit too smart for the average player. I don't know if any game exists that allows for more min-maxing...truly, it is limitless.

There's way too much clicking for me, too, which is why I don't play anymore. The lack of graphic is a style they've done a lot with, but will take a certain kind of non-superficial perspective, another problem (if smaller) for me

Nonetheless, for those who can stand left-clicking every three seconds or so for a half hour, the quests are awesome, the snark is non-stop and often very smart (though there are so many references it can be hard to instantly see the pithiness), and the replayability is extremely high. All very impressive for a game developed by two and eventually up to seven people.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 4:19PM Sephirah said

This reviews is comparable to one done by someone that played WoW or some other MMORPG for 10 minutes and wrote "Well, you have a couple of abilities that you use to kill 10 boars as requested by some NPC. Quite boring".

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 4:41PM Fakeassname said

@Sephirah no, this is a "impressions" piece by someone who only spends a week-ish worth of time on a MMO; as well as someone who knew that he wasn't going to like the crooked humor to begin with, but still tried out the game to see what the actual mechanics were like.

and he didn't find much beyond the humor, which he didn't like, so he said he didn't like the game.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 6:09PM Ehra said

@Sephirah

That DOES accurately describe the gaemplay of WoW and just about every other MMO out there. MMOs STILL have what largely amounts to piss poor gameplay, and are saved solely by things like community, exploration, roleplaying, story/lore, having that happy center in our brain tickled whenever we get another +1 to our Monster Kiling stats, and good old fashioned treadmill addiction.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 6:50PM Fakeassname said

@Ehra

heh, I was going to point that out but decided to hold back.

it is true though: MMOs have got worse basic mechanics than your run of the mill 8-bit NES title. The only reason I end up getting involved with them is because I'm a sucker for the virtual worlds that develop with having multiple people interacting in a persistent environment.

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 3:47AM Cyroselle said

I should get back to this game, I had my Pastamancer up to level 15. :D

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 5:10AM XIncognito said

I know you've only played it for a few hours, but can you look at these and honestly say the game is lacking in graphical detail as a stick-figure/hand-drawn game?

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 8:26AM (Unverified) said

" I found myself wanting something a little more serious from the game. I know, I know, it's KoL, but I would have liked to see less dependence on clicking and more on clever use of links or triggers."

That's like being disappointed your gold fish can't fly, and sing a pretty song. KoL is what it is, and it's very good at what it is intended to do, which is waste your time, while being easy to walk away from, and providing plenty of chuckles.

Posted: Jan 11th 2012 2:08PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) Again, its a impressions article.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM