Posted: Jan 8th 2012 7:43PM psycros said

• Half a heart
We can only hope. I would love to see this game finally balanced and the innumerable bugs remedied. If they actually made things like mining in safe space more interesting and not just low-hanging fruit for can thieves, I'd be tempted to give it another go. But many things would need to change: as long as a single powerful vet can decimate CONCORD in 1.0, as long as your cans and wrecks are never safe from unpublishable theft, as long as there's zero possibility of ever challenging someone who's been in the game longer than yourself, and until it pays to be in something other than a pirate corp with positive-ranked members to launder all your booty, EVE will never be that popular. A game has to deliver a payoff for the players' investment of time and effort, and EVE is one of the most demanding in terms of both. If CCP wants anything close to Blizzard-level success they need to address the needs of the small group and solo players, because like or not, that's at least 75% of us. And I don't mean a PTW scheme, either! Its totally possible to make a game that pleases the vast majority of players - it just takes a little more thought and effort. For example, if Final Fantasy XI had been based around a four player party instead of requiring six people to really accomplish anything, it would've been far more successful and not lost nearly as many subscribers to WoW.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 8:06PM Ebaon said

@psycros I completely disagree on practically all of your points.

- Mining in safe space is not meant to be exciting or very profitable. If it were, that would create a large imbalance in the market.

- There are numerous guides on how to protect yourself against can flippers - I'd recommend reading one or three.

- From your statement about challenging someone in the game longer than yourself, I have serious doubts about your actual experience in the game. This is absolutely not the case. Allow me to explain. If I can fly 100 ships to max proficiency, but you can fly only one ship to max proficiency and we are both undocked in the same ship - 99% of my ship's skills are useless and we are on completely level ground. Specialization removes the imaginary bonus to time spent in the game that people who have spent no time in the game believe exists.

- I'm a mercenary with a positive sec status that fights all the time without breaking the law and I retain a positive bank account. In fact, I earn far more ISK while off contract running Incursions in high-sec space (not pirate related at all). I really don't know why you ever thought piracy was profitable (it rarely ever pays well and most pirate corporations ask you if you have a way to support yourself before allowing you to join).

- I don't know where your assumption that CCP wants or is striving for 11 million (?) subscribers in the fashion that Blizzard had is coming from.

- Where did you get the information for your 75% statistic? I didn't see a footnote reference.

- There is a large amount of small and solo group content. They include, but are not limited to: missions, DED-space, Incursions, salvaging, small gang warfare, mining, trading, exploration, piracy, wormhole content, industrial creation, and freighting to list a few.

- CCP, I think, has shown very good foresight and planning to create a game whose economy is so complex and gives players the opportunity to manipulate it without crashing it along with the huge variety of ships that each fill a specialized role in practice.

- I'm not really sure what Final Fantasy IX or WoW had to do with the rest of your argument, so I'm going to leave it alone.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 8:42PM DeftCrow said

@psycros "as long as a single powerful vet can decimate CONCORD in 1.0..."

Stopped reading there. Also, CCP has no intention of changing the basic premise of Eve (anything out of space can be destroyed), so if that deters a certain player base, CCP will deal with it. Icelanders are descendents of Vikings, after all.

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 11:27PM Chembuk said

@psycros

Between the advantage of using alt accounts and PLEX, EvE is the most P2W game I've ever played.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 9:47PM Yuri said

@psycros
"But many things would need to change: as long as a single powerful vet can decimate CONCORD in 1.0..."
Honest question: when was the last time you logged into this game?

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 9:48PM Arsinek said

@psycros You know what would get to me to play EVE, flight simulator controls instead of RTS controls. It doesnt matter what little fixes they make if the underlying structure of the game sucks and RTS controls for a game about flying space ships sucks.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 10:56PM Braiks said

@Arsinek This is both new and interesting.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 11:51PM paterah said

@Arsinek This isn't the game you are looking for, move along. The game is fine as is and it is made from the ground up to work this way and I definitely prefer it.

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 1:36AM SgtBaker1234556 said

@psycros Eva Jobse, is that you?

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 10:53AM Calfis said

@psycros

Good troll bro. Very much in the spirit of EVE even if you didn't mean to.

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 12:23PM ScottishViking said

@SgtBaker1234556

"Eva Jobse, is that you?"

LOLOLOL

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 11:14PM (Unverified) said

awesome write-up. it's a good time to be in EVE. ive been buying PLEX with my isk, but i might start giving them my money once again =)

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 2:56AM Brendan Drain said

@(Unverified) CCP actually makes slightly more cash if you play with PLEX than a normal sub. The rising price of PLEX, however, suggests that less are being bought for cash and entered into the game, meaning many of those being used by players like yourselves are part of the market stockpile. CCP has already spent the cash generated by that stockpile, so right now CCP may actually be losing out on cash income (but getting rid of liabilities) due to PLEX subscribers.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 11:42PM Moonaura said

Thanks Brendan, I for an exciting year for EvE, it feels like so much will be done now, and glad the philosophy is changing. That will make the most profound difference.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 11:43PM Joshua Przygocki said

I want to love it.. I always have that one week period of enjoyment and then disgust whenever I resub... The learning skills rework almost lured me back... but I wish I woulda made a gallente character rather than my minmatar... though I suppose I can just use my new skills to get into gallente ships.. but that isn't even my real problem.. I just didn't know what to do.

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 1:41AM (Unverified) said

Have CCP/CSM ever considered changing the way skills are trained, perhaps by allowing some of them to be learned faster when you make use of them in game? It's an honest question; I've been playing EVE for a few years and that's the only feature I really miss in the game (I like the way I can level up skills when I am logged out, but I dislike the way I sometimes log into EVE for 30 minutes and find myself with nothing worth doing).

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 3:23AM Artificial said

@(Unverified) If you login and yourself with nothing to do, they need to add more stuff for you to do. That's a completely unrelated problem to any issues regarding training. You should have stuff worth doing even if you (impossibly) already had every skill trained to max.

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 3:24AM Artificial said

"...and *find* yourself with nothing to do..." that should read. The internet ate my "find"... :(

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 12:56PM DeftCrow said

@(Unverified) CCP already did that during the beta. On top of passive skill training, the game awarded one skill point per module cycle for the skill being used, for example 1 SP for afterburner for each afterburner cycle.

Result? Everyone orbiting stations with afterburners on until they finished training to level 5.

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 3:50AM Protheus said

What I find troublesome is that CCP needed the 8% sub decline, 20% layoff and the monocle thing to realise who is paying and playing for this game.

Have to say that the crucible expansion was/is great - so they KNOW what to do but did not do in the last couple of years... shame

Lets hope they learned a lesson and are able to make the game more balanced and great to play in