Posted: Jan 7th 2012 4:17PM Lenn said

Sounds like CoX's mission architect all over again. I made a few missions in it, which I put a lot of time in to make sure they were engaging and funny, but they got very quickly buried under a mountain of "quick and easy XP" missions.

Posted: Jan 7th 2012 4:41PM pcgneurotic said

The Foundry system that Cryptic have going in STO works particularly well, vis a vis the rankings and visibility of missions. For example, you can access 'staff picks' from your mission journal, amongst other non-rankings-board outlets.

My only unhappiness with the Dungeon Designer so far is that it's not modular. I just don't see the point in simply 'decorating' the same few configurations of rooms, no matter how good the tools are. I had been hoping that we'd get something like a grid and a box of different-size rooms, passageways, stairs etc. THAT would be a massive Win Button.

Posted: Jan 7th 2012 4:43PM DarkWalker said

Perhaps the best answer would be to divide the dungeon leaderboard. Have one leaderboard for fastest rewards, and another one for best dungeons.

Posted: Jan 7th 2012 5:29PM Rheem said

Yeah, I think you should have to chose a catagory to publish under, and that would solve half the problem.

The other half of the problem is that what you see initially (and ultimately what you end up playing) are already the most popular map. Its a rich get richer, poor get poorer kinda situation. I think instead, we should have a "random" dungeon feature for rating, or if you want to do a popular dungeon specifically you can do that but you don't get to rate it. Then give us a thumbs down button in addition to a thumbs up, (because the system is no longer abusable) and if a dungeon gets a % more (like 1000%) more dislikes to likes its unpublished, and people are ranked on the ratio of likes vs unlikes.

That said, I would appreciate a system like pcgneurotic said. I know they're working on a new toolkit for their own use, it'd be nice if after its done they can pass it along to us and we can use it to make some nice custom dungeons. Because I didn't see Sanctum of Scale enough when Kingdom of Sky came out. It doesn't beed to be the mmo equivalent of LittleBig Planet. But definately something less static.

I swear, they should of named it "Decorate Someone Else's Dungeon."

Posted: Jan 7th 2012 7:06PM Bhagpuss said

Going to plug my blog again here (I know, bad form and all that...) because I've done a couple of posts on the Dungeon Maker

being the main one.

I'm just tabbed out from EQ2 now having done three intensive "token runs" in a row. A guildmate wanted the Pegasus mount so we needed to get her 500 Marks pronto. The first one , which netted around 130 Marks was fun in a group of four, but only in the "it's fun to group" sense of fun. The only mobs in the dungeon were gnolls and they were all placed evenly for safe puling. They did have a nice trick of throwing us around like basketballs, but other than that it was pretty bland.

After that we did"Everquest 1999" which is an excellent evocation of exactly that. We got around 90 Marks for that one and it was around one million times more fun.

Then we did another Token Run dungeon for around 130 Marks again. It was better than the first one by some margin but still very bland. You're right that it's a shame that the better-designed dungeons don't get the credit they deserve, but also it's annoying that the harder ones give fewer Marks. Of the three we did, "Everquest 199" wasn't only the best in terms of content and design, it was also the most challenging and yet it gave the smallest number of Marks.

I love the Dungeon Maker. It's a fantastic concept and people are doing some great things with it, but yes the Leaderboard needs tweaking to better differentiate between token runs and works of art.

Posted: Jan 7th 2012 9:18PM (Unverified) said

What is the purpose of player created instances minus player housing of course? Is it to extend the life of the MMO?

(I'm not asking this question as a form of trolling)

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 11:26AM Rheem said

@(Unverified)

Anything you can create makes the world feel more like your own, I guess. Not everyone does it. My wife who is a decoration freak hasn't even touched it yet, I don't think. Running them is more of a grind than anything else, I kinda feel like creativity has lost out to easy xp and token grinding (I took my wife's beastlord to one of those 140 token ones last night and she got 2 levels off of it (while in her mid 40's.)

To all players, if you have the time, copy over to the test server and run these things as your character so we can get this tested and in the game sooner. Make sure you /feedback it so SOE knows your opinion.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 1:44PM demonlife said

Reminds me of a larger issue, which I see all the time on the Internet (thumbs up! thumbs down! etc.), i.e. Democracy sucks.

As Winston Churchill once said: "The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014