Posted: Jan 7th 2012 7:43PM Khalus said

The Paladin is my favorite tanking class, and overall the best tank in FFXI. I never liked the blink tanking Ninja, finding it to be a more cheap and easy way to win just about any encounter.

As for the subjob, it did suck the the only one that made the Paladin truly shine in PTs was the Warrior, but when it came to solo the Dancer was the best sub. Even more so when engaging in Campaign where you're rewarded for buffing and healing the most!

The Paladin and similar classes are what really makes me love fantasy games. There's just something amazing about running around decked out in heavy, gleaming armor while wielding a huge shield and long sword.

Here is an image of my Mithra Paladin when I last played FFXI, and yes the hairstyle, glasses and armor are all custom .dat mods:

Posted: Jan 7th 2012 9:03PM Wisdomandlore said

I remember back in the first year after NA launch, Rangers were THE job you wanted as your DD. A Ranger with good gear pretty much outclassed every other DD class, and it wasn't odd to see RNG/RNG/RNG/ parties. We used to run with two or three in our static group and our killing speed compared to non-RNG groups was absurd.

Posted: Jan 7th 2012 10:21PM Addfwyn said

@Wisdomandlore I remember those days, back then RNG and NIN were my favourite jobs (I was a masochist I guess). As a result, I can tell you that I was very very broke. It seemed like ammo and powders were some awful drug habit that my LS had to keep funding for me.

Posted: Jan 7th 2012 10:43PM Wisdomandlore said

@Addfwyn

The Rangers in our group spent absurd amounts of time camping Valkrum Emperor and some of the other soloable NMs to pay for their habits.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 3:51AM Coldbrand said

Jobs, not classes.

Posted: Jan 8th 2012 3:52AM Coldbrand said

Also souleater doesn't buff attack, last resort does, souleater directly converts HP into damage thus kclub DRK being so popular. I love how you still have this column despite almost every article being factually wrong.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014