Posted: Jan 5th 2012 7:40PM Coolit said

Wow! A report about a game that's not SWTOR.

I'm looking forward to this game. Nice to see a few more sandbox games in the new year.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 7:53PM smartstep said

Just 2 things I worry about:

- very ambitious project but very small dev team

- business model? hope not freemium cr*p

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 8:27PM Deliverator said

@smartstep
oh well, not the answer I was hoping for, but here is a post from one of the devs. That'll be a pass for me as well.
..............................................snip
Re: Subscription or RMT
by xerves ยป Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:04 pm

We envision more of the kind of micro-transaction system you see with DDO and LOTRO. I am personally a fan of subscription services myself, but we have to drive as many people to/into the game as possible seeing how we are a very small outfit and not a company with double or triple digit amount of employees. There will be no pay to win types of deals where someone can purchase high end equipment or anything like that, but it will mostly be around the traditional "leveling" enhancements and features. Many of which will be included as part of the subscription monthly plan if you choose to go that route.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 8:30PM Deliverator said

@Deliverator
as a side note, keep them coming Jef. Pretty soon I'll just be able to use your RSS feed instead of the site lol.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 8:32PM Deliverator said

@Deliverator
To clarify, if you click the Sandbox tag 11 of the 15 articles that come up on the page are by Jef

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 9:03PM Jef Reahard said

@Deliverator

Haha, well I write as much sandbox news as I can find (though Brendan handles most of our EVE stuff).

Hopefully there'll be more to write about in 2012.

Posted: Jan 6th 2012 4:35AM smartstep said

@Deliverator

ty for info.

Yeah ,bit of a shame about business model.

Especially in sandboxes , cash shop and microtransaction based is not acceptable for me.

Posted: Jan 6th 2012 4:37AM smartstep said

@Jef Reahard

Agree with Deliverator , I am uterly bored with themeparks (I was playing them for few years and was having fun I admit) so I am interested in sandbox info :)

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 9:56PM J45neoboy said

Graphics look nice for such a small time but see the quote above about the freemium option turns me off. I'll wait for ArcheAge.

Posted: Jan 6th 2012 12:15AM Celtar said

Thanks for posting this Jef, I like the skills I see listed. Guess I'll have to add another game on my "keep an eye on list".

Posted: Jan 6th 2012 7:42AM Rodj Blake said

I was looking forward to this until I saw the part about micro-transactions.

Posted: Jan 6th 2012 9:57AM valdi313 said

To everyone discouraged by the freemium aspect from the post above, please also take note of the games he referenced....DDO and LotRo.....both of these games also offer a subscription option so you can avoid all of the micro-transactions as much as possible.
If you are going the free-to-play route, I think this is the best model.

Posted: Jan 6th 2012 10:17AM Deliverator said

@valdi313
I understand your point, and actually I feel kind of bad outright dismissing an indie sandbox because of their model - we need more indie innovation.

However - LotRO is not a good example. Freemium utterly gutted that game's crafting and feeling of accomplishment. They go so far as to sell Legendary items after starting out with promising the items in the shop would be "cosmetic only" and LotRO isn't even PvP (centric). Crafting is pointless, there's no player economy and all of the things that made Middle Earth come alive have been pushed to a back burner- hobbys, music creation etc.

WB is a large company though and did that on purpose to make even more money off of an already successful product. The thing about an indie game using the model is that indy companies are always just shy of bankruptcy, especially starting out. The temptation to make a quick buck focusing on items is too great IMHO. With PvP thrown in the mix it becomes even more important that everyone be on equal footing and they not fall into the P2W trap where your RL income affects the game world.

The game looks cool, and I hope they succeed - it'll be without my $$ unless it's sub-only though.

Posted: Jan 6th 2012 10:36AM Bhima said

I say good luck to them. Crafting an MMO with such a small dev team is no easy task.

Posted: Jan 6th 2012 12:16PM meda said

F2P with microtransactions are the best, you have populated servers and can choose to go with subscription. It's a win/win situation for the Devs and players fro ma business aspect.

Posted: Jan 6th 2012 6:28PM Cavadus said

I want to be excited about this title but I followed Earthrise for three years and played it for four months.

Not holding my breath but best of luck to ABT and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on TRP. It was nice to see the addition of the "action-based combat" a few weeks ago.