Posted: Jan 5th 2012 10:28AM Unshra said

While I have never been one to care about graphics in an MMO I have to say what I have seen from the Sony Online Entertainment teams art direction for both PlanetSide 2 and Everquest Next is just breath taking. I like the artistic direction they are taking. I am also impressed with what they have shown of their new engine and personally would like to see some videos dedicated to the engine and what it can do.

Hopefully Sony will take the Epic and Hero route and license their engine to other developers. It would be nice to have another engine dedicated to MMO's like the Hero engine.

As for PlanetSide 2, I'm impressed I enjoyed PlanetSide and I look forward to PlanetSide 2.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 11:28AM Degenatron said

@Unshra I totally agree with you about the idea that Sony should be pushing this engine out to the world. It looks FANTASTIC! The shot of the night-time straffing run by the VS Scythe with the light-sourced ordinance is jaw-dropping.

I can't help but think "What OTHER games would be amazing if they feature huge open world enviroments with a thousand players simultaniously connected in a single instance....geez, what game WOULDN'T be more awesome?" But SOE, if you are looking for some especially low-hanging fruit, I'd say look no further that the luke-warm reception given to Test Drive Unlimited 2 (a game I personally LOVE). Among the many complaints from the die-hard fans of that franchise was the 8-player capped, client instanced online play. I see huge opportunity there for an SOE title that could easily one up (two up, three up) TDU2 simply by creating a huge enviroment with hundreds of drivers online together at once. Add in a F2P model based around car customization and you're looking at a cash-cow. (Hint Hint Sony)

But back on topic, this video makes me scream "MOOOOOOARRRRRRR!" at the screen. SOE has something special here and I can't wait to get my hands on it! Big thanks to the SOE PS2 Team for working so hard and making a faithful redux of a game we love so much. And also big thanks to Sony for having the vision to back this project. And finally, big thanks to PSU and Jef for beating the bushes to find these delicious tid-bits of ingame footage!

D-Gen

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 10:40AM Miffy said

What I'm curious about is EQ3 will use the same engine and seeing how seamless it all is I wonder if they make a seamless EQ finally!

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 10:44AM Shadanwolf said

Sony...just stay true to your 3 realm conflict core. NO CROSS REALMING.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 4:26PM SKYeXile said

@Shadanwolf how would that even work in plnaetside?

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 11:16AM commonperson said

Planetside was a great game but I truly fear for any game in the hands of SOE. They have not done justice to any of their brands and Everquest and Everquest 2 only truly carry on due to momentum from being one of the earlier kids on the block. They have had so many games with so much potential that they killed or drowned I hope the same does not happen to Planetside 2.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 11:37AM Unverfied B said

I kinda missed PS1 (was busy playing a hardcore FPS IRL, in the army :P) so i hope this game succeeds.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 12:19PM edgecrusherO0 said

As much as I want this to come out and love this game...

I still can't really stand SoE's art style (DCUO has pretty interesting art at least). Don't get me wrong, I play EQ2 (have on and off for years), the original PS ect., but I can never get over this nagging annoyance with the art style they have in their games. I guess part of me just really likes the more stylized art style compared to what they use.

Aiming down the sight makes me sadface too. Never noticed it until this video, and it's something that pisses me off about every single shooter game nowadays. Seriously, I'm sick of looking down the barrel of a gun and missing half the screen every time I'm in combat.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 1:49PM Braiks said

@edgecrusherO0 Pre-dcuo I agree their art style wasn't that good. But PS2 and Everquest Next that will use this new engine of theirs is simply one of the most amazing things I've ever seen and I think you would agree. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111555-EverQuest-Next-and-Planetside-2-To-Use-New-Forge-Light-Engine

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 1:56PM edgecrusherO0 said

@Braiks

Art style =|= graphics. I'm not commenting on the graphics (which are very good), I'm commenting on the artwork in the game and the STYLE of the artwork. Think a game like Bastion or Minecraft. The actual graphics in those games aren't good at all, yet they are still visually appealing to many people because the art style is enjoyable for one reason or another.

I wish people would learn the difference between art/art style and graphical fidelity (i.e. the number of pixels they can fit in, dynamic lighting and shadows ect.), because FAR too many people get the two confused.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 4:33PM Braiks said

@edgecrusherO0 I understand perfectly what you are saying and I think the art style of PS2 is nothing short of amazing.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 12:58PM Darkmoone said

Jef which side are you choosing?

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 2:14PM (Unverified) said

@Darkmoone

Whichever side is against SWTOR!!

*drum hit*

I'll be here all night, folks!

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 3:30PM Jef Reahard said

@Darkmoone

I dunno, I played TR in the original PlanetSide for a few weeks, but I haven't really read up on the factions much yet.

You?

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 11:10PM Darkmoone said

@Jef Reahard

VS at heart but willing to see what the other factions offer.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 1:22PM (Unverified) said

I'm not big on FPS MMO's but I'll play this.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 1:48PM Lateris said

What game engine are they using?

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 1:53PM paterah said

@Lateris Forge Light Engine, it's their new in-house developed engine for PS2 and Everquest Next. More info here: http://www.giantbomb.com/forge-light-engine/92-7097/

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 2:47PM Lateris said

@paterah thank you sir!!!

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 2:05PM Daemodand said

Good thing they have translations at the bottom so I can tell what they're saying. Oh, wait...