Posted: Jan 4th 2012 3:08PM Space Cobra said

Oh, damn, another SWTOR article! ;P ;D

Actually, I remember many of these different articles. I even sometimes think about that pacifistic WoW character and wonder how to do it in other games. :)

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 3:49PM (Unverified) said

@Space Cobra

How funny, I actually just read her original forum post due to seeing this article. One of the coolest things I've heard about anyone doing in WoW. I levelled a Warden in EQ2 entirely on Quests, Discoveries, and Named Kills, which was fun, but to not kill anything...too cool.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 4:28PM Joaquin Crowe said

@Space Cobra In STO, if you skip the tutorial since you have to do some killin' there, you could probably fly around an explore zone and pick only the assist the random civ missions until you got DOFFs and then you're pretty much set up with DOFF missions and the daily academies.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 3:54PM Sente said

Of the top stories here, I think I only read the Smedley one.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 4:19PM pcgneurotic said

Hire a new DDO writer! Come on guys, make it a new year's resolution!

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 4:49PM Mynsc said

For the record, the MoP trademark was first brought to light by me, admin of titanfocus.info. It's true that I used the MMO-Champ forums to spread the word, since that's by far the biggest WoW community right now and keeping the info only on my site would have meant not being discovered any time soon. :P

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 7:07PM Deliverator said

Hmmm, interesting category list.
1) Sub game
2) Sub Game
3) Betas
4) Sub game
5)->all of the F2P games combined

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 7:09PM Deliverator said

@Deliverator - my whole comment wasn't accepted

Hmmm, interesting category list.
1) Sub game
2) Sub Game
3) Betas
4) Sub game
5)->all of the F2P games combined

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 7:09PM Deliverator said

Can you delete my last two? It doesn't like symbols

Hmmm, interesting category list.
1) Sub game
2) Sub Game
3) Betas
4) Sub game
5)**all of the F2P games combined**
6) Box game
I'm assuming by categories you're referring to the tags on each article. If so, does that mean that the popularity of all of the articles tagged as "free 2 play" combined was less than Eve, SWTOR and Rift?

If you run the numbers using only game titles, how does it break down? Obviously SWTOR, Eve, Rift and GW2 would be on top, but how far down the list before the first F2P title? It'll probably be LotRO, which was a convert, not something design from the ground up as a potion grinder.

We're told over and over that "Many gamers claim that 2011 was the year of free-to-play," but I just don't see it.

Using article popularity as a justification, can we please get a Sub tag to match the F2P tag?

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 9:24PM UnSub said

@Deliverator

I'd argue that you could classify the most popular stories as:

1) Game just launching
2) Game coming out
3) Game coming out
4) Someone got griefed who wasn't me
5) Game shutting down
6) Fans promote favourite game (with hybrid payment model)
7) Game just launching
8) Complaining about developer decisions
9) Game coming out
10) Quirky WoW story

But the truth is that the whole "F2P vs sub-fee" argument misses the point. Most MMOs are offering hybrid payment models now - F2P and cash shop or subscribe to play the same game. What's happened is that for all but the top tier AAA MMOs the trend has been to ditch the barrier of the box cost (and even RIFT quickly discounted their boxes) in favour of getting the game onto the player's computer and THEN encouraging them to pay in some fashion.

That's the trend. I'm expecting SWOR to announce a cash shop before the end of 2012 and to massively discount the box cost / first 30 days price.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 9:27PM Deliverator said

It's not a trend I'll take part in. I believe your in-game character should reflect what you do in-game, not how much you make for a living IRL.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 9:43AM ScottishViking said

Interesting. I enjoy reading about these kind of metrics!

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 3:39AM Brendan Drain said

I found it interesting that three of the top stories by pageviews were EVE articles. In fact, our #1 article of all time on traffic was also an EVE story: http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/08/08/eve-player-destroys-over-1000-worth-of-game-time/

Posted: Jan 9th 2012 3:52AM Brendan Drain said

@Brendan Drain Also, we've covered EVE since 2008 and it's always been the most popular section by far, but SWTOR is now very very close to taking over the EVE Online category on all-time hits. That should show you just how popular the SWTOR category is!

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories