Posted: Jan 4th 2012 8:16PM TortoiseCan said

I agree with you about the Kamalokas. I gave this game a shot recently, and I quit right around my first kamalokas. I didn't realize that this was their version of an instance or dungeon though. I just remember getting a quest and standing around waiting for a group, then all of us smashing on this thing for 5+ minutes, and saying to myself "ok, THIS is what this game is showing off to me?"

I realize that this game is supposedly all about the pvp action but for a pve player, it seems rather shallow. *Goes back to Age of Conan*

Also for your next adventure article, you should check out Dragona, it recently went live (without any coverage from you guys) and it's a very solid korean MMO. It reminds me of L2 actually, but much more streamlined and interesting.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 10:13PM jeremys said

@TortoiseCan I hope my message wasn't too negative. If you don't like the Kamalokas, you shouldn't let that deter you from playing. There's a lot of other stuff to do, and the game is gorgeous.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 11:31PM TortoiseCan said

@jeremys
No sir, not at all, I agree the graphics are pretty gorgeous. I really liked the enemy designs too, but I had already come to my conclusion on the game after playing it to around level 25 which was capped off with that group quest experience (the 56000000HP Training dummy)

Anyway hopefully you can get some vets to help you finish this off because it'll be interesting to see what the high level pvp is like

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 8:51PM (Unverified) said

Sorry couldnt get over the whole click to move thing, seemed a little grindy too

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 10:07PM TortoiseCan said

@(Unverified)
Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of that either, it made the game feel clunky to play (on top of all the other issues that put me off: mainly the overall lack of quality feeling)

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 10:37PM Joshua Przygocki said

@TortoiseCan That is how I end up feeling about a lot of free2play games, and then the ones that feel full and polished either have ridiculous cash shops (Allods) or just end up being kinda grindy and boring (RoM, just couldn't get into it).

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 11:37PM TortoiseCan said

@Joshua Przygocki

Yeah I know what you mean. I figured this being a previous P2P game would have the same level of polish as some other former pay games that had gone F2P, like LOTRO and Age of Conan. If you haven't tried either of those out yet then I suggest checking them both out as they will blow your mind compared to the two examples you gave.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 1:35PM Braiks said

@TortoiseCan The game does have polish and quality feeling, however it dates back to 2003 (pre-WoW) so obviously you can't compare it to the feeling of Lotro or AoC. The thing is what L2 offers you can't really find in any other game even to this date.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 12:35AM Neffle said

About the click to move thing, it is default but you can change it to wasd in your settings. As for me I haven't really bothered with kamalokas, they are a horrid representation of the instances, most instances require strategy and planning to successfully complete them. There is a lot I'm sure you are missing on this. I would like to add one final thing GoD revamped the game. There are a lot of old things but quite a few things have changed. One such thing being the pk system, which they made it much more difficult to clean the karma from it. Seeing how the polls may go I will tell you if it wins kill mobs near your level to clean it fast that is the only way now.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 11:46AM Allenomura said

@Neffle
You say that GoD revamped L2, but to me in practice it feels more like it push-started a change. The world content's partially muddled, and the text boxes are slow to catch up. If a player relies on what they're given by the game in term of direction, they can swiftly become lost and very wrong-footed.

For instance, the Kamaloka - you get these summons notices, basically telegrams from npcs in towns usually far away, that spring up - the game encourages you to do that next, and new players are least likely to ignore the urge - every so often that challenge you to head on over and investigate the kama. You get there, and only then do they let you know you'll actually need a group to even get in, and then the realisation for the swarming mass of bods inevitably surrounding the npc dawns...So, you don't just turn up and can do the equivalent of a daily quest, you may find there's hanging around to be done - before you even get in to the actual instance, which, as the article described can often be left to play itself!

Was the intent of the opening quest, after the initial Island to send a new player on the mmo equivalent of a compass/map/meagre provisions wilderness survival exercise?

@xgd917
"Help people with leveling"....

Help people to spend less time playing and learning a game that they (supposedly) enjoy. I just don't have much praise for that kind of thing.

I agree with Bhima, where even though I find the game enjoyable, it doesn't always offer the smoothest of plays, and a lot of GoD feels as if the designers collectively threw their hands in the air, after they'd finished untying them from the over the years accumulated problems. But, like I said, I'm of the impression that it's a start of something, so maybe a year later it smooths out and a new course is clear for me to decide where it is.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 3:14AM (Unverified) said

Very nice piece, I love your comment about finding the holy grail. Sadly I haven't got around to playing Lineage II yet, plan to try it in the near future. From playing several MMOs a very unique game appears in the mind, the perfect game; a blend of perfections from different games, minus the little pit falls they pick up. I was very curious what element Lineage brings to this concept for you?

I know a few people that may read this may say it doesn't exist, I guess that a matter of perspective, so it might be true. I'm guessing why that why alot of people troll, and debate so hard about their games. The same people the critize, actual do love that game, but some factors break their heart. While others defend "their game" to the death, citing it to be flawless, and to look past the weak points. Ah, maybe I'm over thinking, (or lacking sleep again). I guess I'm just one of those people seeking that great lost grail, the idea intrigues me to much.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 5:51AM Bulat said

L2 - "end game" type, so you will not be able to see 90% of game features until you get to high levels (85-99 in GoD). This is especially true for PvP content. Find yourself constant party and clan that takes an active part in political life of your server - only after that you`ll see true L2.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 10:06AM DemonXaphan said

OK to clear a few things up, first Kamalokas are not dungeons they are mini boss instances, if you want dungeons go do the necropolis or catacombs, second he hasn't even hit upon Fantasy Isle combat arena or PvE/PvP content Kama, there is also better instances than Kama's in L2.

As for the click to move , meh that is a preference of the players since there is wasd movement in game, and i agree with Bulat get into a clan.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 10:09AM DemonXaphan said

All i can say is that Jeremy hasn't even hit upon half of what there is to do in L2 PvP or PvE wise.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 10:51AM xgd917 said

kamaloka - it was just introduced to help people with leveling since many of the players were complaining of the heavy grinding ... L2 have great instances like Epic Raid Boss instances which you cant experience until lvl 75++.

You really wont experience the meat of the game until you find a politically active clan. IMHO, you wont be experiencing L2 until you get into the political side and the psyche of the game. I guess the best way to end this is to experience the real game ...
be part of a politically active clan (it would be better if you'll go for the politically ambitious and power hungry clan)
be part of a clan war
be part of planning or even commanding a siege
raid an epic raidboss
or even become a spy for another clan

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 1:14PM Rebxrn said

@xgd917

XGD is telling it as it is, up until recently the only "instancing" available comprised of a few raid bosses and that could hardly be known as a true instance. However with the addition of the Kamael, everything started changing.

I will say this, there is no point setting up for PvE simply because L2 is all about PvP. The higher level you become, the more clear this will be to you.

As it has been said before, to really "play" L2, you should join a clan that has some sort of aspiration, or even start your own and war everyone else.

Unfortunately, L2 has always been a race to the finish (3rd class/Subclass/Noblesse/Hero). I know things have changed since I have stopped playing (OB-Gracia), however the feel of L2 hasnt.

Go out, become stronger, if anyone tries to stop you then kill them, if they come back with friends, fight to the death, get into a clan, gank them, if they continue, declare war, and k..o..s.

That is L2.

Bloody hell I miss it.

(Rebxrn, SD 85, Sayha)

p.s

Sieges mate, you need to get into one..

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 10:55AM Bhima said

Gameplay is clunkier than an old Ford Pinto. Game has some potential, but god does it feel horrible to play.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 1:37PM arodriguezc said

I used to play Lineage (the original) and the setting of Lineage 2 if I remember correctly it was in the past. Does it share the same map as Lineage 1? Hope it does...

Posted: Jan 7th 2012 5:45PM Zukezilla said

Game is unsecure, played for 5 years, came back once it went to F2P...account was compromised. If you speak about it in the forums they give u warnings and do not do anything. The game is shit in my eyes now, it was my first MMO but i have a bad taste in my mouth for NCSoft now

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM