Posted: Jan 4th 2012 12:06PM Joaquin Crowe said

• Half a heart
Because no other MMO has a grand scope? Rift invasions, rebuilding after an apocalypse, continual Big Bad / End of the World plots, etc. -- nope, no grand scopes there.

Good lord, these guys are full of themselves.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 12:25PM (Unverified) said

@Joaquin Crowe

Every game has its own grand scope, but voicing an entire game with union talent is definitely a huge undertaking. Way more than anything I ever saw RIFT do.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 12:27PM KvanCetre said

@Joaquin Crowe
You may actually want to read the article, champ.
The grand scope was referred to as the story, not the game itself. With dialogue paths and companions and such. He even says he hopes other companies try.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 12:30PM Treason said

@Joaquin Crowe I believe that you have misconstrued the meaning of "grand scope." They aren't simply talking about the scale of the events in the game. They are talking about the size of the undertaking of production. If you'd like to argue that the enormity of an undertaking as large as the fully voiced, cutscene laden, story of SWTOR is no more work-intensive than WOW's cataclysm questlines or Rift's "dynamic" events then I'm afraid your ignorance is showing.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 12:13PM bobfish said

• Half a heart
"Even we didn't know what we were getting into at the start."

This scares me, because it implies they aren't prepared, or don't know, how they are going add more of what they've done to the game.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 12:18PM Evilgm said

@bobfish Because the start was years ago. He didn't say they didn't know what they are doing now.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 12:18PM dudes said

• Half a heart
SWG. Yes, they did wookies ok... did. Cough.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 12:30PM KvanCetre said

@dudes
Well, except the whole lack of armor for two-three years thing.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 1:16PM Titan1 said

@dudes
No they didn't. All of their aliens were just re-skinned human animations

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 2:05PM dudes said

• Half a heart
Whatever you say, Biodrones, whatever you say..

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 3:11PM RogueJedi86 said

@dudes

Would a "biodrone" have played and followed SWG enough to know that Wookiees didn't get their armor sets for a few years? I doubt it.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 7:06PM z4zu said

@Titan1 Are you real?

TOR is the epitome of reskins.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 12:22PM (Unverified) said

They already have a plan for the next content patch. The patch is suppose to contain a new flashpoint & operation.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 12:23PM smartstep said

"There are enormous technical obstacles, there is building all the lip synching, all the emotion into the face of the human is incredibly difficult and time consuming, doing that for something like a Wookiee –- and we couldn't half do it, we couldn't let Wookiees be only a third as expressive as humans,"

Full VO and cutscenes come at great expense.

-----------------------

That's why imo mmorpg's from now will be created / targetted for certain niches.

I for example prefer immersion (if I have to choose) via immersive game world , open world 'living and breathing' , beliveable zones and places , world without artifical borders , openess , great ambient , more complex economy ,etc than via Voice Over.

Just matter of preference.

I just hope - we're seeing start of variety in mainstream mmorpg's and final stop to flood of carbon copies...

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 12:34PM Kalex716 said

@smartstep

I agree with you, and i appreciate the story aspects of SWTOR up to about where I am now (level 30).

Now its just starting to feel like fluff on the front and back of the same exact quest system i've seen in every major MMO in the last 6 years.

Go here on your map, kill that, or click this, come back for your treat. Its like Pavlo's dog all over again.

I know its hard to imagine changing this base core compulsion loop of MMO's, but i just want remind all our readers that at one time, quest based progression was NOT the norm (Camp Check? Anyone?). Someone, sooner or later, is going to come along and innovate the actual mechanisms that drive the leveling process. I'm dying for something new.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 12:50PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@Kalex716
Amen Brother, and as cliche as this sounds- Guild Wars 2 will be the pioneer in that very area. Totalbiscuit said it best. TOR is the last great "traditional" MMO, while GW2 will be the first of the New Dawn of MMO's.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 1:45PM KvanCetre said

@(Unverified)
I could be very wrong, but as far as I can tell, Guild Wars 2 will have the same kill quests, only they will dynamically happen.
Stop the farm from being overrun "0/10 enemies defeated"

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 2:22PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

TB had over two hours of love for SWTOR-

I love SWTOR even though they have a crazy amount of bugs. I have faith that they will work out all the issues.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 6:01PM Celtar said

@smartstep

The cutaways and voice over mechanics have very low re-play ability, and I find myself now hitting the space bar often. I note others are doing the same thing, it actually is turning out to be a bad design for instances/flashpoints.

They spent all this money on this and basically what you end up with is a shell of a game because a lot of the immersion of the worlds themselves are missing. Honestly I'm starting to see the thing as a stand alone rpg, and that doesn't bode well for the future of this mmorpg.

They didn't do so many things that "are" standards of an multi-player rpg that it amazes me at times with the lack. Then we get to the truly horrible customer service, the bugs etc. If they don't get their act together within the year we'll be looking at a basically what happened to Warhammer. I find that sad, the potential is here and I would love to be someone who is playing this game a year down the road. Hell I'd love to see all three in our house still playing the game a year down the road, but at this time I don't see it.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 5:11AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)
that's right, vote me down. Just like the US Media. You're such ravenously whorish fanboys that you can't stand have any visible competition. Or even mention of it.

WoW Archivist: Epics