Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 1:31PM Gaugamela said

You just wanted the page hits!! Admit it! :P

I think that you could talk about Tabula Rasa even though it hasn't been dead for that long. And SWG since we all know it died with NGE. :)

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 9:28AM Ergonomic Cat said

@Gaugamela This. Tabula Rasa was an odd failure. And it's time to memorialize SWG.

I'd also love to reminisce about Auto Assault, and talk about the changes to Age of Conan from start to now.

Also, Warhammer Online, the first WoW Killer. ;)

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 2:55PM Lenn said

May I suggest a piece on The Chronicles of Spellborn? If there's one MMO that could have been a sleeper hit, it was that one.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 9:09PM h4ngedm4n said

@Lenn
+1 I enjoyed my short time in TCoS. Sadly I did not play much as my previous computer struggled to run it. Now that I have the hardware to handle it, it is long gone :(

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 3:34PM Space Cobra said

I'd like to see more broader things covered, too. Like the whole of Sierra Online Network and what stories they had and what it took to get them running.

I'd also like to see RPGN.NET covered in the same vein, to, or, at the very least, their particular addition to the gaming world, "The Kingdom of Drakkar".

There is also another older game network that worked on the Atari 800 that actually used avatars you could control with a joystick in a 2-d 8bit lobby. You paid a sub, signed on, could go to specific areas, like Message boards, in particular, there was a graphic version of "Trade Wars" on the network that looked a bit like Defender that had you mining and putting defenses on the planet. I know this description doesn't help without a name attached, but am having trouble googling anything on it. Admittedly, it was probably a graphical BBS, but it seemed a company was behind it rather than a single guy and his computer.

Heck, and there are some various online console games. The Atari 2600 had one such system that you could plug into your cartridge slot and attach a phoneline to. You could play against 2-4 people from a list of games hosted by that network and it also required a monthly fee. Granted, many of the games were just single player games already out there, but it also had a message board, too. And can't forget about Phantasy Star Online.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 3:09AM Celtar said

@Space Cobra

Gonna second Space Cobra's requests.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 6:59PM PlanDreaM said

I'd say more of Tabula Rasa.I really liked that game, although I could not continue my subscription(severe money problem, deaths etc).That would be a massive f2p...

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 6:41PM XD00175 said

These were cool to go back through, especially the Everquest ones. You could do Guild Wars. Although the game is far from dead, the release of Guild Wars 2 could present the opportunity to look at the game's history. Also, what game is that art from? It looks so cool.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014