Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 2:14PM Pylades said

Personally, I'm hoping for lots of work on the user interface. The GTN is painful to use as a seller, since you have to drill down into each category before you can search. And things like mission rewards for companions are awful. You finish a mission and have to choose between items that might be upgrades for each companion. "Is that an upgrade for Qyzen? No, I'd better summon Theran so I can see if it's an upgrade for him. Oh, can't see the tooltip comparison, let me close the mission window and reopen it."

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 7:42PM (Unverified) said

@Pylades Couldn't agree more, I'm at the level when I only have the one companion, but using armstech as a smuggler- I'm only gonna learn rifles for corso, but when I hover over I just see my blaster stats. Its frickin annoying, I have to close a window so I can pull the character tab out then select him and see what he's using. God knows what I'm meant to do with more than one companion, note his gear every change on a bit of paper I guess.
Coming from WoW, I can't understand the lack of UI configuration- its been in beta for frickin ages, did no one say that not being able to move/configure bars is a good thing (I use a naga). I have no idea the numbers that bother with add ons in WoW, I use bout 7 - but I would have thought the add ons I use would come up in development. Flexible UI/toolbars, DoT/CD tickers you can move around...I can't get my head around why thats missing- its so basic!
Then theres the GTN- its like a relic.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 9:25PM CalebG said

@(Unverified)

Just so you know, there IS an option to turn on which will display your CURRENT companion's stats besides yours.

I believe it's called "Show Companion Comparison" or something vague like that.

What Pylades meant is that there is currently no way to quickly see if an item is an upgrade for his other 1-3 companions. Perhaps in the future, they could implement a sub category under the above-mentioned with "Show all companions" and/or "Only show companions if direct upgrade".

I certainly wouldn't want 6 tooltips covering my screen every time I mouse over a piece of equipment...

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 4:36PM shmegger said

@Pylades
Agreed that the UI is really the biggest problem. Seriously, only 2 windows open at at time, and you cant move them?

They can't have made the UI that bad on accident. They are giving you a donkey now so that you will love them forever when you finally get a pony.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 2:29PM BigAndShiny said

• 1 heart
You talk as if SW:TOR's PvP instances have "redefined" and "changed the face of" the genre but I just can't agree with that. They are quite fun, and Huttball is a nice game, but they're hardly revolutionary.

I realise you are a fan of the game and obviously you write a column about it, but this complete praise for nearly every element of it (and those that are bad you suggest need 'slight improvements') is a bit annoying.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 2:37PM djodars said

@BigAndShiny I disagree with you, I've played WoW for 5 years and been in the top 20th guild in the US for PVE content. Though I always hated WoW's pvp.

When I first played SWTOR, I rushed to 50 and started pvp... I instantly lost all interest in doing PVE forever. The way huttball is played and alderaan is designed is just... genius. I hate voidstar beyond imagination though.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 2:45PM Kalex716 said

@BigAndShiny

I agree... I didn't find their battlegrounds to be all that particularly revolutionary either. Its still faction based, queued, predictable, but can be fun I suppose.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 3:19PM (Unverified) said

@djodars

I was kinda of surprised at how much I liked Huttball as well. Huttball is the best WZ / BG CTF variation I have played.

Now, if Bioware would just fix some of the bugs. I would be much happier.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 9:36PM CalebG said

@BigAndShiny
If you look at the word "Revolutionary" as only meaning totally new and never seen before, then yes, you are right. But the word also means a really huge change, and while subjective at best when used in this context, he isn't too far from the word.

Without going into an in-depth emotive and technical analysis, simply put, it made a familiar mode feel new and a hell lot more fun!

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 2:33PM Warsyde said

UI upgrades are a key requirement for me. The default UI is pretty terrible, not in look which is fine, but in functionality and the ability (or relative lack thereof) to move windows where I want them.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 2:50PM nimzy said

Here are a few of mine:
-I'm anticipating a graphics upgrade and some bug fixes. Right now my nVidia 560 Ti has encountered problems with the game, most notably the infamous "green beam" and outright crashing at certain sections in the space battles. The fact that you can turn antialiasing on in an .ini file lends a bit of weight to this prediction.
-The ability to sit down on chairs. It looks like they're experimenting with how to implement it -- you can sit down on (some of) the chairs in the player ships, and sitting down is rendered as a "buff."
-Voiced emotes. It's just crying out for developer attention. Sound design in general, really.
-More sophisticated space battles with an aim towards making them player-controlled instead of on-rails. Over the past few weeks Bioware has been implementing some interesting server-side space battle changes, adding new bonus objectives to make older missions more challenging.
-UI changes. I'm expecting the option for more bars, and anticipating a rewrite of the UI code to enable player-created addons. Macros are a possibility.
-Addons in general. The community will build the LFG tool that Bioware didn't include. The chatbox will get modded all over the place (especially for the RP servers, where the text length limit is especially painful). It won't be long until gearscore rears its ugly head.
-Additional player races, free race changes upon their introduction, and a "barber shop" appearance change ability.
-Hats for Jedi that aren't fashion disasters.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 2:57PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
It's still the same old PvP, and like every other PvP game that has ever been, players will complain about balance, complain about cheats, and whine, then jump ship and do it all over again with the next new title to feature PvP arrives.

While this is happening, they will alienate the PvE crowd, and leave the StarWars fans wondering why the hell anyone would want to play an "MMO" , eventually leading the game to become F2P.

And that's coming from the optimistic part of me...

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 3:28PM KvanCetre said

@(Unverified)
Honest question...
If WAR hasn't gone f2p at this point, RIFT has no plans to, SWG didn't go f2p in 8 years of running... Why the hell would TOR?

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 3:49PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@KvanCetre

I'm being sarcastic. / cheers

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 3:20PM Tom in VA said

Here's what I'm hoping for:

(1) Better travel options. Too much time is spent getting back and forth between locales and bases (quest hubs) that have no quick travel options. I suspect GW2's map travel is going to be far superior to SWTOR in this regard, unless Bioware does something about this.

(2) More Heroic 2/2+ areas and fewer Heroic 4 areas -- or at least make it easier to get players to these harder, group-only types of areas, like adding an unlockable teleport hub at these locations.

(3) Better AH utility.

(4) Some kind of "gift guidance" for companions (as they did in their SP games). It's frustrating to be always wiki-ing that kind of stuff.

(5) A better UI: the current one is pretty cumbersome.

(6) A better LFG system.

All in all, though, WoW has improved greatly over time; I expect SWTOR to do the same thing.

What I'm most curious about is how this game is going to hold its subscribers, i.e., where does Bioware intend to go vis-a-vis expansions/new content? If they head in a primarily PvP/raid direction (like so many other MMOs) for their endgame and high-level content, the game will lose me as a subscriber before very long.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 4:48PM fallwind said

• 1 heart
@Tom in VA "(3) Better AH utility."

considering I've heard that people are getting banned for using the AH too much, is that a good thing? (rumors are rumors, take with grain of salt)

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 3:55PM Trippin Ninja said

Wait a minute, there is warzones other than Huttball? All jokes aside, in about 20 "random" warzones I got Voidstar once and all the other matches have been Huttball. I still haven't even seen the alderaan one. Maybe some tweaks to the warzone finder are in order?

Other things I would like to see are more guild functions, a moving and scalable ui, more space missions even if on rails, the auction interface definitely needs some love, and last but not least a warzone with vehicles would be fun or a warzone that is a space battle. Star wars isn't all about infantry so it would be nice to see some more vehicular combat.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 6:20PM hereafter said

@Trippin Ninja

Are you Empire? I think the faction imbalance might be causing the repeat WZs. I get a nice mix on my Republic server and low wait times.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 9:41AM Damn Dirty Ape said

@hereafter

Yep, Empire players pretty much get Huttball all the time on most servers due to the population imbalance.

Posted: Jan 5th 2012 6:58PM Frostfell said

@Damn Dirty Ape Yeah that seems to be the case. I don't really get why the pops are so imbalanced. I guess as a republic player I win, because rarely wait longer than a few minutes for a match. Though we get steamrolled in almost every match, so there you go.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM