Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 9:58AM Jenks said

EQ1 Beastlord

I played a Human Magician when the game came out in 99 and enjoyed it, but eventually burned out and sold my account.

When Luclin hit, I picked the game back up and rolled an Iksar Beastlord, who to this day is probably my favorite MMO character ever. Great hybrid abilities like group health and mana regen, melee slows, and good melee dps while having the coolest pets in the game. It was unique that each race had a different warder - ogres had bears, trolls had crocs, barbarians had wolves, and we had scaled wolves. On top of that being able to imbue your pet with different attacks based on the situation made them somewhat competitive with the magicians ability to summon different elementals.

Since then things have gotten a lot deeper, I spent many years playing a hunter in WoW which was obviously far more feature rich, but my beastlord is still my favorite.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 10:02AM Tizmah said

Even though I hated FFXI, I really liked the Summoner class.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 10:04AM dudemanjac said

I get kinda annoyed when ppl refer to SWTOR as having all pet classes. To me a pet class is one that cannot play effectively without it's pets. Try running around in WoW or CoH ignoring your pets. You probably can but unless you spec specifiacally for it, it's not gonna be a fun time. I usually don't use my companions in SWTOR unless I'm going into some really nasty stuff and even then I will usually try it alone first because my "pet" is busy crafting or gathering for me at the time.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 10:05AM Quarlo said

Just prior to the NGE SWG Creature Handler system was pretty fun. If you wanted your pet to have a certain skill you would have to find a baby pet that has that skill, raise it till you learn that skill.

My Creature Handler had bought from a BioEngineer friend a genetically engineered 'rabbit' but with the size and stats of an epic Rancor. I still miss Fuzzy Death!

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 8:22PM Tristik said

@Quarlo

Creature Handler was the best pet class I've ever played, hands down. The meta game of it and developing this connection to each pet you've tamed was just awesome.

I was quite upset when I came back to the game after they implemented Beast Handler into the game since it, essentially, took away all the fun parts of what CH was.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 10:07AM TheJackman said

Warcraft hunter is a lot of fun to play :)

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 10:35AM Vanpry said

UO Tamer is by far the best that I have played.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 11:06AM smartstep said

@Vanpry

ONLY pet class I liked. Forgot about this one.

Yeah if having a pet, involve having and having to 'develop' / 'train' taming, implementing taming mechanic into game economy (i.e. catching and then selling mounts to other players), promoting interdependalibity and socializing between players, then yeah I am all for "pets".

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 10:48AM (Unverified) said

My favorite pet class is WoW's hunter but that's not saying much. I haven't played a pet class that I really love. I've tried to main pet classes before but they always fall short for my playstyle. I'm waiting for a pet class in an MMO that's more fleshed out where the pet isn't a simple set it and forget it mechanic. If I end up setting my pet to automatic and I spend most of my time managing abilities that I don't need the pet for, what's the bloody point of having a pet?

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 1:40PM Cyroselle said

@(Unverified) I only just started to learn how to macro everything when I decided to quit subbing to WoW, and one of the first things I macro'd were my pet abilities. This actually makes the pet a lot more fun, and is fairly simple to use.

I did like being able to choose the look for one's pet though, even if the abilities were all normalized into set families. It's one of the things that is missing from Rift and leaves me less than enthused about the Ranger soul in that game.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 10:53AM Baby Choo Choo said

Does the Ritualist from GW count? If so, that's easily my number one pick. The Spiritmaster from Aion is my number 2.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 11:18AM Cyclone Jack said

The Mastermind is my top choice for a pet-class, mainly due to the variety, as well as the level of control you have over your minions, including the option to have them talk and emote.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 11:28AM Saker said

Probably the old magicians from EQ1. ?They had such wonderful versatility. I hope EQNext has a similar class, the EQ2 equivalent doesn't have the same feel at all... I did love the EQ1 shaman also, marginally a pet class (they had 1, though it was -very- weak). I love pet classes in general, necro's generally found to be fun.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 11:48AM Tom in VA said

I have always liked pet classes, as they tend to be more solo-friendly than most classes, and I definitely prefer that.

Excluding SWTOR, which I think has raised the bar on pet classes (i.e., the companion system) to a whole new level (pets with personality!), I have played the following "pet classes":

Best: STO's bridge officers (effective, helpful, very customizable, reasonable AI)
Good: WoW's hunter and warlock (effective, helpful, somewhat customizable, good AI)
Mediocre: Guild Wars ranger and LotRO;s captain (worse)/lore-master (slightly better) (poor AI, limited functionality, not much customizability)
Terrible: DoD's hirelings and G&H's henchmen (the former being only slightly better than the latter)

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 11:53AM jimr9999us said

LotRO's LM by far not only my favorite pet class, but the most interesting class I've played.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 12:08PM Vorender said

Lord of the Rings Online: Loremaster

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 12:08PM (Unverified) said

IN THE NAME OF 'DIFFERENT' PET CLASSES I GIVE YOU THE THREE GREATEST:

1. The tactician from Asheron's Call 2. A stationary 'turret' pet spec with walls and ammo types. You could also select a combat type to go along with the tactician spec tree. You could be missle (throwing hammers), melee (sword / board), or magic.

This class was the anchor of any group and grouping / farming was hugely important at certain parts of this game. You needed to be fairly good at setting up in the correct location as turrets had long reset times 30(?) mins - 1 hour (?).

The tactician was the most powerful force, limited by lack of movement. It was perfect. They were limited in doing Vaults (dungeons) etc. but when hunting on their terms it was glorious.

One of my greatest gaming memories was seeing around 100 tactician turrets (50 tacticians) all set up together in one of the most popular farming fields around the pre-patch endgame. Mobs would spawn and die within seconds, and everyone got about 3xp from each :P.

2. The(OG) invoker from Asheron's Call 2. The invoker was a spec based around having 3 pets out at the same time. You had 1 dps pet, 1 tank pet, and one buff / debuff pet.

The invoker, imo, was the perfect mobile pet class. Like most builds in ac2, you could choose your combat type. Melee, Spear / board (medium range), or magic (DRUM).

This was my favorite pvp build I have ever played and one of the most entertaining / diverse / adaptable.

As a mage invoker, I had medium range yet good versatility with slows, dots damage, etc. Using the pets wisely was key, as the invoker wasn't the 'strongest' class.

I would engage an enemy and because of the ability to body-block, you could toy with them. I would send my pets in and start adapting to the enemy rather than just cycling hotkeys. If my opponent went after my pets, I would attack him / heal my pets (and this happened as my kiting was so good that people would get desperate and go for my pets). If they went for me, I had picked up many speed skills and a slow, so I would just run and slow occasionally while my pets picked away at them. Rinse, repeat, and continue for minutes all around the maps. Eventually if I timed / played everything right it became a reactionary endurance game that I would come out on top.

It was glorius.

3. The elementalist from Asheron's Call 2. Much like the invoker, the elementalist had versitile pets and much like the tactician, the elementalist had stationary status effect pets.

My 2nd greatest pvp moment in mmo gaming occured due to this spec. As a melee elem I used reap (life steal / mana steal attack) and my summons. Nothing else... I didn't need anything else. While you could go missle (hammers again), melee, or mage, I preferred melee and mage the most.

With melee, I would summon my stationary VOLCANO that shot out lava balls and applied a dot and I would tank around it, bringing other players into the volcano's AOE while keeping up reap in order to stay alive. I brought down 3 players at once while doing this, all of a higher level. (albiet, the dot was bugged and stacked during this time). I would also summon one of the mobile pets that would buff / heal me while I tanked.

My mage elem build was my favorite of all time. It played like the Invoker, where it heavily relied on kiting, but instead my main attacks revolved around mana drain. I built in such a way that I could drain 1/3 of a targets mana in 3 skills. While kiting I would use these and my pursuer would be attacked by my minions. Eventually they need to heal my pet damage, so they use mana.... oh wait what mana? ...okay so they turn to attack my pets, I turn and do another cycle of mana drain skills. Rinse repeat. TTOTAL DOMINATION.

NOTE: TLDR, SPELLING GRAMMAR, ETC.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 12:11PM (Unverified) said

I am surprised that no one mentioned EQ's Enchanters or EQ2's Coercers who do not summon pets, they charm their enemies to fight for them. These classes are great not only because you can select the right pet for the job but also because your charm spell could break at any moment and, suddenly, your pet becomes your enemy! Not for everyone, especially people that need to AFK often, but it makes combat more exciting and challenging by forcing you to pay attention.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 12:18PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) I forgot to mention that the best pets in PvP are enemy *players*! Mwuahaha, sometimes the most satisfying kill is forcing your enemy to kill their own ally.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 12:17PM Trippin said

I had loads of fun with my necromancer/ranger in GW, it was loads of fun when you had nothing at the start and basically useless, untill i was able to summon lots of beasties, where i turned top killer :P

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM