Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 8:06AM Miffy said

SWTOR all pet classes solo but if in a full group or a battleground then none of them are.

For me it was CH in SWG because it was the most in depth and fun raising and selling pets/mounts. Shame it got nerfed to near useless and then nerfed again when vehicles got added in and SOE never thought about it again until they removed it.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 8:23AM Nepentheia said

Necromancer, necromancer and more necromancer! :-D

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 8:26AM eLdritchZ said

my top 3:

3. AoC's Necromancer - extremely OP for a long time but a very cool pet class.

2. DAoC's Animist - probably the most hated class of all times but i'll be damned if it isn't fun to build mushroom forrests :D

1. DAoC's Theurgist - Why has no other MMO ever done a class like this?? limited duration pets that attack a single target until they are killed or expire is so genious and fun to play...

bottom line: multipet classes with clever mechanics is where it's at... I'm very sick of single pet casters...

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 2:22PM Ordegar said

@eLdritchZ

Yeah I really liked the Theurgist too; very clever concept. My favorite though has to be the Metaphysicist in Anarchy Online. Three pets: attack pet, heal pet, and mez pet all controllable by the player, and the class concept is one of the coolest ever (e.g. summoning your anger from within you to be your minion). Anarchy Online is an old game, but it's still going and it's F2P the main game. It's old-school hardcore mmo though, so if you think WoW is a challenge don't bother with AO.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 1:32PM Cyroselle said

@eLdritchZ That's what made the Necromancers in GW so fun for me, limited duration multipets that could explode into a deadly poison cloud when their time was up!

I was always deeply disappointed that WoW had necromancer NPCs in the game with individual skills, but not as a playable class.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 8:29AM Ehra said

Concept wise I really enjoyed Dark Age of Camelot's Necromancer, although it had some implementation issues like pathing. The player would summon their undead minion, and once it was summoned the player turned into a shade that was immune to all damage and couldn't be targeted by abilities. The only way to kill the necro was to go through the pet first.

The necro then had two ways of casting spells. First there were abilities where you commanded the pet to cast the spell, which meant enemies could interrupt it if they hit the pet. There were also spells that were cast by the necro itself, which were then released instantly through the pet.

If it weren't for all of the gameplay issues that hindered the class, it would have been really fun to play. Heck, despite the issues the Necro was still one of, if not the, premier PvE farming class for the longest time. Like a lot of things from Mythic, it was a really cool idea that just didn't turn out well.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 8:33AM Gyurie said

I generally dislike pet classes but CoV's Mastermind was incredible fun to play - also being able to have more than 1 pets around you and forcing them to do emotes led to some of the greatest random RP I've ever had. Kudos to the CoX series!

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 8:42AM Stanimir said

LOTRO's captain before they replaced my beloved herald with a darn flag. My fabled herald wiped raid after raid in pvp by attacking the one shotters. Of course now its not a pet class at all. But back in 2007 the little herald was kind of a pet.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 8:48AM smartstep said

Don't like to play pet classes. One of reasons I dislike Swtor's companions system.

Only nice thing were / are "teams" in single player crpg's like in Baldur's Gate 2, but that's not really "pet" classes as all character's in team including player created main character are single "beigns" and are as customizeable and combat "playable" as main character. You could even choose "team mate" to initiate dialogues with instead of doing this with your main character and have diffrent results (cause of gender, race, character, allingment, charisma, intelligence, etc) and not some crippled semi-automated combat pet...

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 9:00AM Stanimir said

@smartstep You're basically describing TOR companions minus the diologue starting. A player companion has every stat, a main stat, skills and weapons - all of which you can improve to your liking. TOR companions are much more than pets in other games.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 11:02AM smartstep said

@Stanimir

You can't move them directly like you can with main character.

In games like Fallout 2 / BG2, etc you could.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 8:58AM (Unverified) said

Masterminds in City of Heroes. The AT lends itself to so many different character concepts, and sometimes it's just fun to revel in a shamelessly overpowered build.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 8:59AM Irem said

FFXI's Puppetmaster. Favorite class, any game, hands down.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 9:14AM Erovin said

LOTROs Loremaster was a fun pet class to play. The class itself, when I played it at launch, was very much CC-centric, which could prove challenging when your pet's pathing brought adds to the party. :p

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 9:17AM (Unverified) said

Sorry, but my WoW Warlock was my favorite. Being able to summon your own sexy date? Win.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 9:41AM Irem said

@(Unverified)
I hear you, man. That Felguard.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 1:35PM Utakata said

@Irem

I see what you did there. O.O

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 11:06PM Nenene said

@(Unverified)
Those rippling pecs.
Those sexy spikes.
That greataxe.

Felguard is the sexiest.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 1:36PM Cyroselle said

@Irem All it was missing was a /bodyoil emote. :D

Little overboard on the chin though.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 9:28AM Rialle said

I strongly dislike pet classes, enough to where SWTOR's companion system annoys me (though since it isn't meant for grouping, I can safely ignore the companion for the most part while in solo combat).