Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 12:35PM djblewis said

The Hero Engine isn't exactly Mac friendly, but considering how much of the engine BioWare ripped out and replaced with custom code, maybe we'll actually see a Mac client in 2013.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 1:48PM LoganHunter said

@djblewis the Hero Engine's roadmap includes Mac support by October of 2012.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 2:06PM (Unverified) said

@djblewis It isn't that huge of a deal to re-write Direct X calls to Open GL. Direct X provides hooks into common functions that Open GL provides as well. The main pain-in-the-rear is bug regressing the new calls and ensuring you removed all previous hooks to Direct X.

Bioware, of course, could take the easy route and just emulate Direct X, but the performance will be dismal considering the system requirements of SWTOR.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 11:23AM Unshra said

@djblewis It won't be native it will use Cider just like all the other EA games do. I knew this day would come even when BioWare stated the wouldn't do it, simply because EA has made a commitment to release their games for both PC and MAC. SWTOR will follow the path as all the other EA games and use Cider.

With that said I won't hold my breath, as we still need to see where the game is at in the next 3-5 months first.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 12:44PM y0d4991337 said

• Half a heart
No. Macs aren't computers. They are calculators with more RAM. They aren't for gaming. They will never be for gaming. When someone buys a Mac, they make a covenant to never play games on it.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 1:01PM (Unverified) said

@y0d4991337

That's just rude and an uneducated response.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 1:01PM Mike DPad said

• Half a heart
@y0d4991337 You're so ... 10 years ago.

If a Mac had a comparable video card, what reason would Windows have over OS X? Apple stopped using RISC processors 6 years ago.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 4:11PM archer75 said

@y0d4991337 I'm playing SWTOR on my mac now. Haven a Intel Sandy Bridge 2600, 16gb ram, Radeon 6970m 2gb. Plays fine. Not sure how my imac isn't for gaming.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 5:30PM y0d4991337 said

• Half a heart
@archer75 So how's your second mortgage, because at those specs the Apple store charges $2,699.00. I have twice those specs, and payed more half the price, plus I don't need to have two OS's in order to play it.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 6:01PM archer75 said

@y0d4991337
Didn't cost me that much. I added the ram myself. But yeah, it's a lot. But the monitor alone is worth a grand. The rest of the computer specs don't make it that much more over building your own. And a 27" at 2560x1440 looks amazing.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 6:11PM y0d4991337 said

• Half a heart
@archer75 Have fun trying to run the game on max at that resolution with that video card.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 6:22PM archer75 said

@y0d4991337
I am gaming at max resolution with that card. I play all games at the native resolution of the monitor.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 9:43PM y0d4991337 said

• Half a heart
@kalipou134 Finially, someone who isn't under the influence of the "Reality Distortion Field"

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 10:44PM archer75 said

@y0d4991337
There is no reality distortion field. I have many computers in this house and aside from the imac, i've built them all. I have no shortage of PC's I can game on. I also wanted a mac. The display is the best I own and it handles SWTOR maxed out, so why not use it?

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 1:11PM (Unverified) said

@y0d4991337 told this to people hundreds of times, when was the last time you bought a computer DIRECTLY from HP, IBM, or any of the other brand names (which really mean only the casing is the brand and nothing else on a PC), I've been a mac user since i was 13yo and i have NEVER once paid full price for a mac. I've always bought them from the stores outside of Apple (online stores now) that all have a much lower price. There's a saying in the mac community. "A used Mac is better then any PC, it lasts much longer, and it does everything" I've bought used macs all my life, the moment i get a pc i'm forced to upgrade my OS three times, (not to mention the ten million mini updates for "security") I've had to replace parts in it twice now, and I'm coming up on having to replace the fans in it. Mine's an HP. My iMac is three years older then this PC and has only been turned off because for a time i left WoW which has a mac version of the game. Sad people like you will be paying four times more to replace defective parts for the rest of your life. The amount you spend repairing pc's equals what Apple charges one time.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 4:00PM y0d4991337 said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified) Oh, you're all still here? Sorry, I'm playing the Old Republic... on my PC

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 1:52AM kalipou134 said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified)

That's because surfing the web, listening to music and looking at pictures shouldn't really "use" the hardware bub.

Meanwhile, people with PCs actually make their machine work with games or 3d programming.

I wish we could take all the mac user excuses and myths and put them on a site somewhere, it would at least make your delusions funny.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 2:11PM Mombasa69 said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified) Totally agree, the Mac is just an over priced computer mainly used by geeky designer fanboys, rather use an xBox than Mac.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 1:02PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@ScottishViking

That's just double rude and a less educated response!

Posted: Jan 2nd 2012 1:07PM Riseyra said

Mac users who want to play SWTOR already do. It's not hard, but this move isn't a surprise given WoW's track record.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014