Posted: Dec 31st 2011 8:20PM (Unverified) said

As much as I love FFXI, I believe that they can not hope to bring it back into what it was. The games decline was the fundamental change in gameplay with Abyssea. It was like going to the kitchen and finding out that all your groceries were replaced with Ice Cream. You loved it for a while and then one day you walk past the mirror and realize you have ballooned up to 600lbs.

I will have to say that your suggestion that they remove PS2 support is probably not going to happen. A LARGE portion of the current population is still on PS2 in Asia. Discontinuing support for the console would be akin to cutting their nose off. I do not dismiss the chances outright though. Just look at the recent change to SE accounts and the requirement to use in house currency or several "shady" third party companies in order to pay for the game subscription. The game's population dropped significantly when this was finally put in place and it will only continue to drop. (My account, which had been active since NA Launch was finally canceled when they did this.)

As much as I would love to have hope for FFXIV, absolutely none of the changed that they have made or have proposed in their 2.0 timeline has done anything to prove to me that the core issues with the game will be fixed. Namely the bad UI, less than acceptable combat systems (XI's is better and more responsive.) and the overall unencumbering of the game's systems. None of these seem to be directly addressed. (Adding autoattack does nothing to change the fact that combat is just plain bad in a modern market. Or even when compared to its almost 10 year old predecessor.)

I'd actually hope that during this year we hear an announcement that SE is moving on from both games. That we can expect a return to Vana'diel and all that was right with that game in a FFXI-2 HD. A game that is not encumbered by the PS2, PS3, XBox or any other console platform. One that is designed 100% for use for the PC, Keyboard and Mouse from the ground up. One that is designed with the best parts of XI (and the few good parts of XIV) and not just designed with the "racial visuals" and the bad things from the previous game. One where the game was not a bunch of copy pasted terrains with hardly any monsters. One where it was a truly seamless world and not just the illusion of being one. We expect so much, and we have yet to receive any.

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 8:55PM Syesta said

@(Unverified)
" Namely the bad UI, less than acceptable combat systems (XI's is better and more responsive.) and the overall unencumbering of the game's systems. None of these seem to be directly addressed."

Their first point of order in the Spring is implementing a new server infrastructure to combat just this. It's very clearly detailed in the 2.0 documentation...

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 11:36PM (Unverified) said

I will believe it when I see it. They say a lot of things. But fixing the server structure has very little to do with fixing the base UI and repairing the issues with mouse/keyboard play that mar the game.

Nor will server structure fix the limitations in the combat system that are there. Yes, it may fix character responsiveness, but it will not fix the underlying issues.

Posted: Jan 1st 2012 1:37PM Rialle said

It sounds like FFXIV 2.0 is almost going to be a new game. Wording behind statements such as migrating characters to the new infrastructure (I recall something similar to this) in the roadmap may imply that they are maintaining the live game with steady improvements that will resemble what is in 2.0 (which I believe are steps in the right direction) while basically rebuilding it behind the scenes for 2.0 / PS3.

It would seem that from the roadmap, Yoshi-P wants to fix all the things that are wrong with the game. There is acknowledgement that the zone design is crap. There is acknowledgement that the graphics engine (while very pretty) needs a lot of work (my system can run TOR and Skyrim on completely maxed settings at 1080p without frame rate issues, but FFXIV still drops frames like mad for me in many situations). There is acknowledgement that the UI needs to be brought in line with modern MMO standards.

I do believe that if given the time and funding necessary, it can be done. SE is a company that does have the resources to do it. While they have tons of competition in PC space, they do not within the console realm. This means that if 2.0 is actually good, it could do well on the PS3 since they're not competing against WoW, TOR, RIFT, and all the F2P games. They're going up against DCUO, which frankly is not really all that frightening to me.

I do not believe they need to abandon consoles. What I do think is that they need to add mouse/keyboard support to the console version. This is entirely possible on the PS3 (other games have done it) and XBox360. That way they don't have to bastardize the controls, plus they can get the game to people who have a $300 console versus a $1000+ computer.

The big problem with all this right now is that they want to charge now. I brought FFXIV for really cheap, so it was fun to go in and play around for a while and watch them make slow improvements to the game without feeling like I was wasting $X/month. But now that they want subscription money, it feels like they are asking people to donate $10 a month in hopes that 2.0 brings everything they promise in the time frame they're promising it.

They also do need to fix their billing. It should be as simple as entering my CC info into their site, just like every other game. Their current billing setup is ass-backwards and confusing enough to where it could cause some people to not want to sub who otherwise would.

Posted: Jan 19th 2012 6:04PM Monkey D Luffy said

"I don't think the console crowd will go nuts over it."

If they do a beta like FFXI had on the 360 I think they will. That beta was my first time playing an MMO and FFXI is still my favorite MMO (along with most of the online friends I've had). FFXIV will be the first fantasy MMO for a lot of PS3 users, and I think they will be as amazed as I was in FFXI.

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM