Posted: Dec 31st 2011 5:42PM aurickle said

@Tiresias
Also the fact that being grouped while questing lets you see more story. And gives you social ranks which you can use to buy some nice stuff. And adds an unpredictable element to your conversations with NPC's because you're not sure what the other person might choose to say. I've also found this to be very RP-friendly because having an audience makes me want to choose choices that are in-character rather than getting my companion to like me more or something like that.

There are also the world bosses. My questing buddy and I spawned on by accident just last night when we saw a glowing corpse on the ground and clicked on it. Maybe we should have taken the clue by the many other corpses arrayed around him? LOL Anyway, I'm constantly seeing groups forming to take on these various bosses.

I've also found that the companions are more of an encouragement for grouping than a reason not to group. Some of the heroic content really can't be taken on effectively with just two people and their companions. But three people work really well with the appropriate companion to round out the group's skills. So rather than waiting around to find the right group, you just group up and go with the companion that works. And if a fourth person shows up, cool!

I have grouped more in SWTOR than in any other MMO I've played. I don't think I'm alone in that.

Posted: Jan 1st 2012 3:52AM Sente said

@Tiresias
Actually, change a few words in your description and you could talk about EQ2.

The notion that not teaming up would somehow be anti-social is absurd. There are typically plenty of of oppurtunity to socialize and communicate with people without using the team mechanic that most MMOs have.

In fact, I would say that there might be less socializing in teams than outside of teams - at least when the teams tend to be focused on accomplishing a certain task.

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 2:52PM Eaker said

Rift justly deserves Best Launch the only real problem was the queue's. Star Wars had more of a shot for Best Launch then Game of the Year!
Game of the Year should be Skyrim and MMO of the Year should be Rift. Star Wars can work on 2012. Then again maybe it needs 2011 because Guild Wars will win 2012 lol.

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 2:58PM Pyzlnar said

@Eaker Good sir you're on a MMO website. Skyrim cannot win an award here. :P

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 3:50PM Eaker said

• 1 heart
@Pyzlnar meh rules can be broken lol

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 6:17PM (Unverified) said

@Eaker I agree - although I would have said RIFT for both best launch and mmo of the year.

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 2:52PM Derekisazombie said

Awesome list! This is why I like massively =] GUILD WARS 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 2:53PM Wispur said

Just went back and watched the WildStar trailer. Wow. If the gameplay is half as fun as the trailer was, I'm sold.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 3:32AM Portal8229 said

@Wispur
Just watched it myself... god-dammit I just got into EVE Online and now this wants me too. Also Bunny Mages...Me Guesta.

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 3:04PM Yellowdancer said

Can't agree with SWTOR GOTY for this year. Its an MMO with standard mmo problems. It impresses with presentation because MMO's are bad at presentation. But there are all these little things that don't work smoothly. Should be kicked into consideration for next year.

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 6:17PM (Unverified) said

@Yellowdancer Agree

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 3:07PM Daeths said

I think its way to early to crown TOR game of the year, its still too fresh and shinny. Give it 3 or 4 months for the launch hype to suttle down and see what the real norm is. Then you'll know what kind of game it is and what awards it should or should not get in 2012. At this point it is just politics.

Oh, and EQ2 is hardly best bang for the buck. CoH is a much better deal and is almost as old and storied with out some of the insane lockouts of EQ (majority of classes and powers available unlike in EQ, and although incarna is locked out eq locks out all the best skill tiers and items)

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 3:22PM Sorithal said

@Daeths

TOR's currently the new big MMO, and the only real other new AAA MMO that came out this year that could have come close to TOR is RIFT. And that game's popularity seemed to drop quite a bit after it's initial month. It will be interesting to see if Bioware can maintain this, though. If they try to keep with the heavy voice-acting content and enforcing their "fourth pillar = story" thing, I imagine content updates will be rather slow.

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 4:32PM (Unverified) said

@Daeths

Never played EQ so can't compare that, but I'd put Fallen Earth ahead of CoH. Both F2P options are good, but CoH is a lot more restrictive - only 2 char slots for one (it's a very alt heavy game for a lot of people), virtually every new costume piece since 2009 for another, and the entire invention/loot system for a third, all being locked into the shop.

Fallen Earth on the other hand basically gives you the entire game, only a bit slower. It's so generous I wonder if it's -too- generous.

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 7:03PM Daeths said

@(Unverified) Well Fallen Earth wont even run on my rigg. i got more than enough power to do so but the friggin textures wont even load, its just a grey wasteland to me. So while i would love to give it a try getting past the tutorial just aint possible

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 8:41PM RogueJedi86 said

@Daeths

The problem there is that you'd have to do the "Best of 2011 Awards" in March'12, and how do you do a Best of 2011 awards well into 2012? TOR's launch at the end of the year gave it a strong impression to round out the year for awards. Maybe it was even on purpose by BioWare to win a bunch of awards while the game still had the "new game smell". God knows I'm loving the game.

Posted: Jan 1st 2012 1:11PM Daeths said

@RogueJedi86 You know most award shows music, movies, tv, ect. have a cut off date that the release must predate and any thing after counts towords the next year. TOR should have been considered for 2012 and NOT 2011

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 3:14PM Sorithal said

Glad to see RIFT managed to snag an award. While its popularity died down quite a bit after the initial month of launch, it's by no means dying, what with already being on Patch 1.6.1 ~9ish months after launching. And those patches have been packed with a lot of updates to both PvP and PvE and casual players as well as tossing in things for roleplayers. Not to mention events.

Hopefully 2012 will see RIFT growing even stronger ^^ I actually picked it up again (I ended up being one of those people who bought it then vanished after the first month) and am finding it much more enjoyable.

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 3:33PM Eaker said

@Sorithal With the recent release of Ember Isles, Rise of the Phoenix and Planar Attunements and soon the new 20 man I think Rift was definitely GOTY. I cant wait to see whats next.

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 9:18PM jimr9999us said

@Sorithal Yeah, Rift was my mmorpg of the year as well but can't really argue with choosing TOR.

Swordsman launches today