Posted: Dec 30th 2011 3:00PM DancingCow said

I think more people prefer fantasy MMOs so Thrones would have that in its favour but they would have faced the same problem which LOTRO bungled - magic users.

The fools at Turbine - sorry but it's true on this score - decided that since there were no magic users (other than Istari and very powerful elves) in the books that there were no magic users in Middle Earth and so should be none in the game.

After fans provided numerous references to them on their pre-launch forums they eventually relented and produced the loremaster class, but I don't think it was enough. And of course one year later they realised this and out came the runekeeper.

Launching a fantasy MMO without a serious magic using class is, I think, one of the big mistakes that contributed to its mediocre performance.

Thrones would face a similar problem. Magic is almost nowhere to be seen in the seven kingdoms. It's just re-awakening and those with knowledge of it are mostly foreigners. Players hurling fireballs etc. would be out of place.

Star Wars has the Force. I think that made it the safer bet.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 3:45PM Deliverator said

@DancingCow
No. You don't take an IP and change it because it's not enough like every other generic fantasy MMO out there. If you do that, it becomes *not* the IP. The majority of the fanbase was against the Loremaster as well as the Rune Keeper. Turbine didn't create Middle Earth, they created Middle Azeroth - fireballs all over the place, give me a break. It's like making a Star Wars game and putting in Borg just because you like them. There weren't Borg in Star Wars and there weren't wizards all over middle earth.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 3:58PM Oskari said

@DancingCow

Still at it, I see. Good for you. It's always important to have hobbies.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 3:59PM Oskari said

@Deliverator

This. All very good points.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014