Posted: Dec 30th 2011 1:30PM Leandra said

@(Unverified)

I agree that there have been some situations where I didn't agree with the way light/dark side points were handled -- when my Jedi went through Taris, she came across a group of soldiers who were going to abandon their post because they were afraid of the rakghouls. But apparently, allowing them to completely shirk their duty due to fear was the light side choice, while telling them it was wrong to abandon their post was the dark side option? That didn't make sense to me.

Also some of the dark side choices seem more like the "chaotic evil" type of choice, and I don't necessarily always agree with that interpretation. When my sith warrior went through the Dark Temple area where all of the slave workmen are possessed, I ended up getting a few light-side points by choosing options that were intended to screw them over (not sending the "apprentice" back to Pharshol, not sending out additional teams to the temple) -- from my character's point of view, it wasn't that she wanted to do good, she just didn't want to help those fools. Whereas the dark side options were just the crazy, cackling sort of thing. Maybe my character just isn't a very good Sith, lol.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 4:29PM Space Cobra said

@babywolfman @ all who have questions

It is interesting that some of you have not thought of such philosophical dilemmas before. Hopefully this game will open your eyes and allow you to question, "Why?"

While others have answered about the medicine problem, I provide mmy own two cents further down the column in another reply. As for the Rakghouls and even letting troopers flee from the battle because they were afraid, some of you seem to be missing the point, but you are not the only ones. Not many folks read Joseph Cambell or others.

This is not a strictly "follow the rule of law" situation nor is it a writer's personal decision. If you look at this as more of a "compassion versus Justice/law", then you will see these decisions making more sense.

That's probably one thing Lucas added to Jedi later on and their own interpretation of "the Force"; they are not always right. Justice can be blind and following a law blindly can hurt those it was meant to help. You can't make one law to cover every situation. Really, if we compare single-player games to MMOs, we all know that in MMOs, there will be people who find loopholes and exploit or use game mechanics to their own advantage, right? Interestingly, the same can be applied to the Real World. Rules can be made to favor corporations. Rules can be bent. There are too many things for me to list.

But for the game, sometimes Justice is not the right thing ("Justice is blind"). Sometimes compassion is not the right thing. The "Light Side" of the force is compassion. The Dark Side is Law. Of course, there is good and evil in both, but good and evil is not always an easy to define thing: One person may view something as evil while another views it as good. Generally, the Light side is good and the Dark Side is Evil...generally speaking. Of course, this is part of philosophy and how one views it.

Take the classic example of Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan (Yeah, not Star Wars). Spock is dying in the chamber. We all know that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one" speech. Kirk chose to save the ship over saving Spock. For him, without meta-thinking, Kirk was losing Spock. That is "compassion", yet he chose to save the ship. While that is not quite "Law/Justice", such a decision is in game and (for simplicity's sake, since it is hard to provide all choices) such a decision would be "dark". It is not "the wrong decision" and was definitely the right decision for Kirk to make, but he allowed someone to suffer and slowly die because of it. In such a situation, I would not be expecting to get light-points unless I saved EVERYBODY, including Spock. I definitely would not be feeling good afterwards if I had lost a friend and may just want to be left alone right afterwards.

On the other hand, if Kirk could somehow sacrifice himself to save Spock and crew, that would have resulted in Light Points, because that is self-sacrifice.

Again, this is fairly deep philosophical thinking beyond the simplistic "what Jedi do" discussions one gets. I really hope this game opens up all of you and many more players to this greater debate...or at least acknowledge and have understanding of how this is, even if you disagree with it.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2012 6:15PM Metatron said

@(Unverified) That's awfully presumptuous to declare a person who gives the medicine to the military is jumping to conclusions. One could argue that giving it to the military ensures that those soldiers can continue to help fight the separatists. It does, after all belong to them. Neither side is dark really.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 10:38AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
One thing that I think needs to be added is neutral gear sets. I know they mentioned it, but the speed of implementation is what really matters. They can either be like WoW, or like Rift. Its up to them on how successful they want their product to become long term. 15 days in for pre-orders & 10 for the rest, and I still see game breaking issues not being addressed. I hope that the next 14 days blow my mind otherwise I'm going to cancel both mine and my sons 6 months subs with them. Tick-Tock Bioware.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 11:20AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

So you're giving a developer 2 weeks to create, model, skin, bugtest and then implement 16 different sets of neutral armor, and then allocate stats to them?

Good riddance. I'd rather have them focus on bugs for the next month.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 11:48AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

There is something to be said about letting people who don't want to exclusively whore their light/dark side choices from 1 to 50 actually participate in the endgame though.

I believe the vast majority of people would be perfectly fine if the neutral gear was exactly same or just a minor palette swap of the existing armors for the time being. I know artwork takes a considerable amount of time, but it can be patched in later.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 11:58AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)

2 weeks? How about years of development and tons of money? Troll me all you want, the fact is they have many game breaking issues they still haven't addressed yet, is that ok with you?

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 12:22PM IveDefected said

@(Unverified)

you obviously have an insane amount of inside knowledge on how an MMO of this scale is made. I only wish life was as cut and dry as you seem to think it is.

To that end...how many MMO launches have you participated in that were 100% bug free? Had all the content anyone could ever want? I have a feeling your rose tints are clouding your vision.

Relax buddy, BW has stated (just like everyone other Developer) that bug fixes come with time. In software, stuff doesn't get magically fixed because the player-base wants it. You say speed of implementation is key? have you experienced all the current content they have already?

I just dont understand how some people can be given a pretty solid and quite enjoyable cake, have the chance to eat it and still complain about not having seconds well before the first cake is gone.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 12:37PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@IveDefected

So far I managed to get to lvl 40. During this time I spent several days stuck in Taris, & unable to complete certain quest because of silly bugs. I understand they have issues, the problem I have is the lack of communication from Customer Support. tickets that just close without even telling me why is a bunch of BS. I am giving them 13 more days to fix a few game breaking bugs for me before I get locked into a 6month contract. Its simple, fix the problem or lose subs. I like the game, but I'm not going to pay to play in a beta. Yes, I'm frustrated over the lack of support. Don't close my ticket without fixing the issue.. AT least tell me why its being closed! Curtsey to a paying customer, Am I asking for too much?

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 1:10PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Game breaking bugs have existed in MMO launches since the dawn of time. Every single one had them. WoW, Rift, STO, Darkfall, EVE, to name a few.

As for bugs, they take time to work out. There's no "press this button and make it work."

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 1:22PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)
"Support emails a response to you when they close tickets. You haven't participated in many MMO launches have you?"

BS- They closed several of my tickets with no word or email. My point is that customer service is a joke, what does that have to do with participating in MMO launches? I have played in several launches and never had this many support issues go unanswered. When I cant play my toon because of a bug, and they close my ticket w/o closer still not being able to play my toon = what? Am I being unreasonable? I spent lots of money on this game being a CE owner as well as a standard edition for my son, I will take being S**t on for only so much longer. I jump ship if my personal issues don't get fixed before I get locked into 6 months. I'm not alone either so they better wake the F up or lose people forever....- http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 1:43PM mizcal said

@(Unverified)

Locked into a 6-month contract? Because you are unable to click on the 1-month contract button? Oh... let me guess, you want to save those two whole dollars with the 6-month, right?

I really hope all these cry-babies do leave. The only thing worse than an elitist prick is someone who throws a tantrum over a few minor bugs. It's like a toddler who got a new toy and starts bawling because he didn't get two toys.

Oh, and you support your claim with a post from the swtor community forums. Let me provide a quote that sums up the forums: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Don't worry, buddy boy. The adults in the room, who have patience, will continue to enjoy the game for years. We understand that fixing bugs, making changes, implementing patches, and addressing a million-plus customer base, will take time. So why don't you take your tears back to Kung-Fu Panda, where you can play with the rest of the overly-emotional adolescent player base.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 1:54PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) : I find your impatience natural and reasonable, but I find it impossible to believe that someone quite so impatient would ever have even considered signing up for six month subs on an unreleased game. So I'm gonna have to assume trolling, here.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 1:57PM (Unverified) said

@mizcal

Right- So I'm a baby because I'm mad that I can't play my toon, and I don't feel like I'm getting the support I deserve as a paying customer? Seriously?

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 2:00PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

I signed up for the 6 month on two accounts saving $4 dollars per. because its a better deal.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 2:04PM (Unverified) said

@mizcal

and your math is wrong- I wont save $2 in 6 months- I will save $24 in 6 months for my two accounts.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 3:19PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

So you can't turn in a quest? That doesn't make your toon unable.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 4:11PM SFGamer69 said

@(Unverified)

Umm...what? It would be a simple matter of taking whats their and removing the light/dark only restriction. What are you on about?

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 4:12PM DerpMchurson said

@(Unverified) Solution: Don't play MMO's at launch. Come back in 6 months and try again.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 11:01AM Sonoran said

I think Light/Dark ought to scale up independently of one another. It encourage more complex characters and with sufficient BiPolarity on the player's part they could have access to all gear.