Posted: Dec 30th 2011 10:07AM (Unverified) said

The companion thing is confusing as nuts. Take Khem Val for example. The guy is essentially my salve and will be happy whenever I allow other slave-like bound creatures or people free (either directly, or indirectly by slaying their master).

However, when it comes to talking about how I was once a slave and dislike how people degrade them, apparently Khem doesn't like that and I lose companion points with that?

I think it's that Khem likes that other slaves go free, but he doesn't want to see weakness in his master (i.e. me) such as that. Maybe? I don't know, I side-paneled him when I got better companions in my mid-30's. At least those ones bow down to me, even if they are psychotic and crazy.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 10:30AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

You're right ... Khem hates weakness and self-pity. Actually, seems like Khem hates everything that doesn't evil consuming Jedi. He's a strange bird.

And for you Mako lovers out there, stick to the bounty hunter code and you'll go far with our favorite slicer.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 10:57AM Sonoran said

@(Unverified)

Wow!: "No Hunter shall slay another hunter", "No hunter shall Interfere with another's hunt".

By that reckoning I should refuse to participate at all in the Great Hunt.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 1:58PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) I gave up trying to please Khem Val and just decided to see how low I can get my affection with him.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 2:26PM aurickle said

@(Unverified)
It's interesting -- when I created my bounty hunter I decided on two rules:

1) Always complete my contract and never switch sides. The short term profits might be worthwhile, but in the long term who's going to hire you if the target only has to pay more? (I know that the game doesn't really care, but it's my philosophy and I'm sticking to it!)

2) Always try to just be a good guy doing a dirty job. Make "good" decisions -- except where that conflicts with #1.

Overall, Mako has been happy with me. Every now and then she thinks my choice is shocking and I lose as many as 30 points at a crack but more often than not it's the opposite reaction. My Light/Dark standing, however, has hovered right around -500. I've never been on the light side at all but I've also never gotten to Dark I. Maybe I should have waited to play this character until they implemented the Grey path. :)

As for Kem -- yeah, he's nuts. I know there's logic to him but just when I think I've got him figured out he'll react in a way that surprises me. LOL

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 3:08PM DancingCow said

@(Unverified)

I agree - companion choices felt a bit forced to me. I played over on the Republic side and my companion favoured violence and anything supportive of my Master / his friend.

After a while I just started giving those responses (unless they also gave DS points) to earn companion points. I know there are other ways to grind them later but this seemed easier, if much less natural.

The LS / DS options were better. Going LS they were, except for one mission, the choices I would have made myself.

Overall companions definitely detracted from this aspect of the game for me.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 3:27PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

agreed. Khem and Corso Riggs have been the two most challenging for me. some of the things they are in favor of, definitely seem to contradict others. that's why i'm all Malavai... he loves my snarky Sith attitude and penchant for domination.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 10:29AM (Unverified) said

I didn't set out to play the game this way, but my Trooper has become a complete righteous space snitch. The other day I grouped up in a Flashpoint with a smuggler who was trying to go really darkside, and we weren't sure how cautious to be in the scripted events in respect to each other's character progression (turns out it didn't matter too much, although we disagreed about killing a quest NPC).

I'm not even to level 20 yet, so I haven't experienced a ton of really high-impact moral choices along the way yet. It's mostly been snitching on other Republic officers for doing unethical things - which hasn't mattered very much.

As for companions, I like seeing the "approval" points pop up in the cut-scene interactions, but I'm consciously making a point NOT to care too much about my companion's opinion. After stressing out constantly about Morrigan's fickle demeanor in Dragon Age, I'm going to just relax and occasionally buy my employees presents.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 1:51PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) : I wasn't hugely impressed by the TOR beta, but the one thing I found interesting was their decision to portray the Republic as the bad guys.

I'm not really up there with the "Old" Republic, everything I know about Star Wars is from the movies, but I always assumed the Republic were the good guys. But it seems every single decision I faced, siding with my superior officers in the Republic army was the dark side decision, siding with random strangers was the light side decision.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 2:29PM Sorithal said

@(Unverified)

That's probably to get more into the gray area of morality where really both sides have good and bad people. Kind of like in the various (at least in the Universal Century timeline) Gundam series, where the Earth Federation was, on the outside, seen as the good guys, but many of the government officials were pretty dang corrupt. Zeon was seen as the enemy, and it -did- have plenty of psychos, but there were also several good people who just wanted to see the space colonies gain independence.

/end massive nerd moment

That's cool though that TOR is doing that rather than how they were doing in KoTOR often (where it was very clear what was the Dark/Light Side choice). Might make it more worth checking out sooner rather than later.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 10:31AM (Unverified) said

@prot

INB4 someone whining about SWTOR news posts ...

... dammit. Beaten to the punch.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 10:35AM (Unverified) said

So you mean my game isn't bi-polar and that all this schizophrenic nonsense is built of the writer's own purposeful pathos?

I still want to know why it's a dark side choice for me to give a republic officer back a bunch of stolen medicine, or why letting a Jedi stay a tormented prisoner of a bunch of mutant zombie monsters that are being taught dark side powers by a maddened holocron is a light side choice.

Of course these are the same people who think I should have some sentimental attachment to a couple of npcs I interacted with for all of 20 seconds right at the start of the BH story, so perhaps I should just grin and drink the koolaid.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 10:59AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Its dark side jumping to conclusions without considering both sides. The prisoner can be set free after listening to the holocron and giving it a chance to redeem the monsters for the light side.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 11:28AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Then the first choice should have been neutral with the latter dialogue resulting in light side points. It would be more logical an compelling at the same time.

I suppose it's a problem born of a different issue, the incessant need some of the writers obviously had when it comes to pairing up light side/dark side responses. Just because one option is light or dark does not mean that the opposite action should be of opposite alignment.

The medical supplies thing I mentioned before is a good example. I can understand why giving the supplies to the refugees is a light side action, but I cannot fathom for the life of me why giving them to the republic officer they were stolen from in the first place is a dark side action. It boggles the mind.

For another example I recall a quest where I had to get some information off a tapestry somewhere. The dark side choice was the burn it afterwords, which I can understand, but the light side choice was "do nothing." It seems utterly bizarre to me that you can gain points for not doing a damn thing. If that were true on a grander scale I should get light side points every time I fail to kill some annoying npc, but I don't. Instead I get dark side points if I kill them or brutalize them, but no light side points for leaving them alive.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 11:45AM Sean D said

@(Unverified)

You can 'reason' (read: justify) just about any moral dilemma presented by the game. This isn't a downfall. It's actually prompts great philosophical exercise if you take it that far and don't just look at the situations as impediments to getting your next piece of phat lewtz.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 12:01PM Deliverator said

@Sean D
I guess I justified it because most of the soldiers on the planets were looting, pillaging, bum-fighting dicks even though they're on the side of the 'good guys'

It's nice to see a game starting philosophical conversations though - evil working on the side of good isn't limited to going Dark Side on a Repub character, it's also obvious in the behavior of the NPCs. I've always drawn parallels between the Empire/Rebellion and the one man's freedom fighter is another's terrorist thing, but since the evening "news" is always so black and white, it's cool seeing a game prompt these conversations.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 12:05PM (Unverified) said

@Deliverator

It's too damn bad that the whole "light side/dark side" thing starts showing a lot of its flaws when you start trying to apply it to more complex moral situations.

Though I suppose it would work perfectly fine in Atlas Shrugged Online.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 12:24PM Tizmah said

@(Unverified) That's why in my opinion, we shouldn't have games that have a good/evil, light/dark, etc. point system. There have been numerous times where I've played a game that gave me dark choices for things that weren't exactly super evil or super good. I think we should just have consequences in a game, not awarded points. We shouldn't be forced to a game developer/writer opinion of right and wrong.

It's not pulling at my moral strings. It's pulling at my brain trying to figure out if the person who designed that quest thinks this is right or wrong.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 12:28PM babywolfman said

@(Unverified)
I had the same problems with the light/dark dynamic (that medicine quest was the first of many for me). As a Trooper, there were some kinda sticky moral choices (which is fine), but an argument could be made either way. Being given Dark Side points because my own interpretation of the problem didn't line up with the writer's personal sense of morality really started to get under my skin.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 1:22PM SFGamer69 said

@babywolfman

This. The light/dark choices in the game for me are more irritating than anything else. It's actually made me dislike the writers personally, for making choices have to be either one or the other in situations where it really is not the case. It's just another area of the game where it's not a matter of your choices, but of going along with their choices. I've actually stopped caring, and now pick my choices based on the response that i want to get from my companion character, and not really what I may want to do myself. Which means escaping out of the conversation until i choose the option the writer has decided is the one that will make my companion happy.

Oh well.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM