Posted: Dec 29th 2011 4:50PM LizardSF said

@Spacegrass I have a full time job and a part time job and a wife, so I don't have a lot of time. (I also have other social obligations). Despite this, I oppose an LFG tool. If I only have an hour to play, I do single-player content. If I have a long block of time, I do Heroic quests. Since you only need 4 people, at most, for Heroic content, this is really not a burden. Finding three people is not hard, and the content in TOR is much less "holy trinity" based than in other games. You don't NEED a tank and healer; you can just DPS through it if you play smart and don't overpull. There's plenty of CC powers to keep enemies back. Sure, if you try to do it WoW style and AOE the entire room, you'll be screwed, but it's not the game's fault if people don't now how to play anything but WoW.

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 5:27PM Spacegrass said

@LizardSF

The problem with doing single-player content is that you'll miss out on some of the flashpoints - if you level up too much before doing them, it won't be a challenge. The problem with using CC to take on encounters without a healer or tank is that, while companion characters are smart enough to avoid breaking CC by attacking a CC'd enemies, many players aren't - Whirlwind is useless when someone immediately attacks the enemy you used it on.

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 5:43PM (Unverified) said

@LizardSF : "Finding three people is not hard"

Not hard within two weeks of release.

How hard will it be to find three people to do (non-endgame) content two months after release? Or two years?

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 4:40PM nimzy said

LFG tools have corrupted the MMO community in a way TOR is trying to counteract. We might consider it "lazy" or "ignoring a necessary feature" but if you stop and think about why a LFG tool is needed you start having to confront some very ugly truths about how people play with each other in MMO games that people would like to remain undiscussed.

You are playing with other /people/.

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 4:42PM Tizmah said

Yes, it is in need of a looking for group tool that can automatically connect people to what they are looking for. Right now, you have to be at the designated Fleet to hear anyone calling or attempting to get a group together for a flashpoint. However, most people are out and about on other planets doing what they need to do, and the chat doesn't reach those areas.

I don't really see an argument against having the better LFG tool. The only one I end up seeing is people acting stupid, which is common anyway. We just need better ways of combating the stupidity, not just throwing down a good improvement.

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 4:43PM theBeast said

Forget LFG tools. Here is a novel concept: TALK TO PEOPLE.

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 4:46PM KvanCetre said

@theBeast
This isn't always the easiest thing. I need a healer all too often. Perhaps there are none on my planet or in my guild (though, this is more a problem since I powerleveled on a week vacation)

Without a quality tool to tell me what healers are looking for flashpoints, I will just keep spamming, and cluttering, /g and /1.

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 4:50PM (Unverified) said

@KvanCetre

You could always post a note in the /who function; it allows you to tag a note to yourself about what you're looking for etc, etc. It's not perfect, but I do prefer it over anonymous, random strangers popping in through an LFG tool.

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 5:49PM KvanCetre said

@(Unverified)
afaik, the only way that tool works is searching by planet or name. So unless you scan each planet while LFG for flashpoints, its not really effective. Flashpoints are the issue more so than heroics

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 5:58PM (Unverified) said

@KvanCetre

Eh, you got a point there. You win this round!

But I'll be back!

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 6:18PM KvanCetre said

@(Unverified)
Wait a minute, no one admits defeat on the internet! What chicanery is this?

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 4:46PM LizardSF said

I personally hope they never introduce dungeon finders, auto-queuing for everything, and any other "feature" that leads to people sitting quietly out of the way waiting to be magically teleported somewhere.

LFG in chat forces people to COMMUNicate, which is part of COMMUNity. I get more of an EQ1 vibe from TOR than from any other recent MMO, in terms of people talking in chat, and talking to pass time while waiting for someone to run to them, or for something to respawn or reset. And while you wait to find a group in chat, you are running around the world, doing other things, not just waiting for an instance to pop so you can run it over and over until you out-level it.

BioWare needs to not make things too "convenient". "Inconvenience" has its place. Forced downtime and needing to actually travel the world to get to content builds a stronger game in the long, impatient whiny little brats be damned.

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 4:51PM (Unverified) said

@LizardSF

Amen. A more mature game for a more mature crowd. If that means we don't get up to 10 million subscribers, I'm ok with that honestly. I'd rather have 2 million courteous adults than 10 million babbling children.

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 5:29PM Spacegrass said

@LizardSF

While spamming the general chat with "lfg/lfm [quest]" may technically be considered communication, it doesn't really add anything to the experience.

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 5:33PM (Unverified) said

@LizardSF

To you and the guy above me, couldn't agree more.

For the game supposedly being a WoW clone, it seems odd there is another group complaining about the things not in this game that WoW is doing. I'm perfectly fine not having a LFG tool. Heaven forbid people have to actually talk and be sociable. Why would people rather have a game where the majority of the players are just sitting quietly in a major town waiting in a queue? If that's the type of gameplay people want, by all means, then why not go back to WoW? I'll stick with SWTOR and hope and pray that Bioware ignores the crowds of whining kiddies that want the game dumbed down.

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 8:13PM LizardSF said

@Spacegrass I must disagree. Even the simple action of having to send a tell to someone, or ask "where do you get that quest?" or say "Sure, I'll be there in a few minutes, I have to get there first" open up more channels of communication than just clicking a button in a dialog and magically appearing insider the dungeon with 5 strangers.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 12:41PM Tizmah said

@LizardSF That's rather unfair of you. Some people like the quickness of a LFG tool because we don't have time to wait, plus it's frustrating flying from planet to planet to get someone to join up for a flashpoint. Communication still happens in queues just as much as pick up groups.

I've not seen any difference in LFG tool communication in groups and pick up grouping. One just gets the job done faster. Sure, you may not have the downtime to lolly gag and shoot the breeze, but that's all it is. Shooting the breeze. That's not meaningful conversation.

I have much better conversation with guild mates who I see all the time. That's where most friends are found in MMOs. People generally keep silent everywhere else.

I've never seen anyone talk about the latest football game while waiting or heading through a dungeon. It just doesn't happen.

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 5:04PM ReadingRambo said

I think the tool should be for that server specifically (during vanilla). Then in time they can open it to cross realm. That way, in the vanilla phase, the server can find it own groups but in later times (when the game is based on final content) the LFG tool would be better server across multiple realms.

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 5:16PM smartstep said

@(Unverified)

Why you think they don't run a campaign?

It is kinda standard for bigger mmorpg and especially behemots like EA-Bioware to buy promotional series of articles during game release...

Posted: Dec 29th 2011 5:27PM (Unverified) said

In SW/TOR it seems to me that the need for healers are greater than the need for tanks, at least on my server.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014