Posted: Dec 30th 2011 10:03AM Archintyeron said

What we need is less posts about SWTOR and more about all the others MMOs.
Too early to have an dedicated site. WoW has far more content and still with a lot more players. Two more years and you can have the definite answer.

Posted: Dec 30th 2011 10:28AM DLemke said

Separate forum for SWTOR as soon as possible, I vote yes. I play WoW, I like WoW, but I play other games too. I like very much the convention, the etiquette, the polite standard, of usually avoiding WoW conversations in other games.

WoW is the elephant in the room, the squid in the room, the shadow cast over all other mmorpgs. Despite liking WoW, even I wholeheartedly agree with people who really would rather not let WoW disturb the thoughts and immersion in other games that WoW discussions bring.

Massively already has annoyingly too many articles on Eve Online, but I understand them not making a separate site. SWTOR, however, for me anyway, already makes it painful for me to come to Massively. This site, Massively, is for ‘the other mmorpgs’ besides WoW. Massively is a place to avoid incessant reference to WoW.

Now Massively’s become the place for incessant SWTOR talk. Ugh. Bleh.

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 7:00PM MetaReal said

I played the beta, didn't like it but bought the game following friends and hype. I'm playing a trooper medic and I LOVE it (being both healer and dps in the same time without a depletion "mana based" mechanics is so refreshing), I can see myself playing my medic trooper for a long time.

I was also in the hype train of Aion and Rift but SWTOR is a different beast. Like WoW, SWTOR has a huge lore and community BEFORE launch whether the games works or not. It doesn't need to create a lore and community AFTER the game launch.

Also SWTOR managed to fix the broken story telling within MMO high constraints. I simply didn't believe it could work. Bioware is making history here and will have an impact on the expectations of players in future MMOs regarding immersion through story.

I also think they have lots of room for expansion (a galaxy size room for expansion to be exact). Apart from quests I'm having fun in PvP, Space combats, companions and crafting, exploration with acrobatic access to datacrons, random grouping in Falshpoints and world bosses...

There are few aspects of the game I don't like or didn't innovate enough (more sandbox elements please) but if Bioware is as committed as their tatoos seems to indicate they have a future for years if they don't mess it up completely.

Anyway, other important actors are doing dedicated channel (wowhead team doing torhead, the instance doing a dedicated podcast, gamebreaker, etc).

There's nothing long term sure in this century but SWTOR is the best contender since WoW launch for sure.

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 9:38PM AFWriter said

The question isn't if or when there will be a TOR Insider. The question is whether there will be a first-mover advantage if another of the larger web communities starts a similar purpose website first.

I love WoW Insider. But before that, it seems that every other MMO has had a company take the reins and make its presence felt as a community website. joystiq took the reins for WoW, but seems to be leaving the door open for someone else to take the reins for TOR.

Call it a business decision, but someone's going to do it right and get a lot of eyeballs on their content and advertising. Who knows, maybe some competition would be good and get joystiq to up their game -- not just for WoW and TOR, but for the next set of MMOs to come down the pike, like Titan in 2013.

One Shots: The sacred bosom dance