Posted: Dec 28th 2011 8:35AM TortoiseCan said

Really depends on how I feel the overall system is designed. I pay money to sub on LOTRO - then play for free with my accumulated points from subbing and spend them on content when it's on sale.

So I'm a fairly savvy shopper I guess but I only spend money on games where I see value in my purchases. In LOTRO I consider my purchases permanent enhancements to my account. I wouldn't go out and spend money on gear upgrades that are rendered obsolete with every patch/expansion.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 8:36AM smartstep said

Ex-F2P/freemium games player.

When I shopped I used to wait for big (at least 40-50%) discounts.

Stopped playing f2p / freemium games cause thinking about cash shop, what is in cash shop, how much points I have to spent and inevitable connection between $ and game that exist in games with cash shop, started to kill FUN from playing a game.

I don't want to think, see and use money while I have fun with game.

When I DID play those games I was buuying almost exclusively on big discounts though.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 8:41AM Scuffles said

I'll be honest double/tripple points and or great sales in the CS have in the past been my kryptonite.

In general if I am enjoying the game and don't feel I am being bullied into using the cash shop I am far more likely to deposit than I am when F2P games essentially make the CS mandatory.

Am I going to buy everything all the time .... no..... I knew people who were like that tho. I'm certainly not apposed to buying something here and there at full price.

However when enjoying the game and not feeling spendy I am more than happy to act as a cog in the AH that drives others to spend their cash on the game. But once that CS becomes mandatory and the game starts shifting into Pay to Win mode ..... I'll just as happily ditch it for greener pastures.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 9:00AM Ziglug said

I've bounced between playing Fallen Earth and EQ2 since they went F2P, and I used cash shop credits almost exclusively when they did a double or triple credit use, refund, or when there was a big sale.

EQ2 had the triple station cash promotion a couple of weeks ago and I bought 500 cash which turned into 1500, which I promptly spent on some Gold Membership status.

Fallen Earth had a sale where they would refund all G1 credits you used in a certain time-frame, and they also put some useful items on sale such as Respec Injectors, of which I bought probably 15 dollars worth of just those.

I'm a sucker. :/

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 9:12AM Beau Hindman said

I think Justin hit the nail on the head for me: waiting until the double or triple Station cash, THEN I pounce! :) In other games I generally put a little in at a time until one day I look and I have quite a bit saved up. Then, I pick out the item I want and keep an eye for sales, just like in real life.

Of course there have been times when I just couldn't wait, like with a killer mount or housing item that was only on sale for a bit. I grab those.

If you keep an eye on your favorite game/s site (I watch Twitter as well) the game will usually announce when a sale is happening. If you are not careful, you can miss it.

Beau

Beau

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 9:34AM ShivanSwordsman said

I do the same, waiting for sales and the like. Frankly, I've been waiting for SOE to put some of the DCUO DLC on a half off, or at the very least do a double/triple point day. Been waiting for it, to the point I stopped playing. I also weigh values, and how much I enjoy a game, as well as how much the game tries to force me to cash shop. Most games never get a cent from me. Collectively, Turbine has beaten me out of $60, and you can farm Cash Shop points with in-game actions.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 11:13AM Furdinand said

@ShivanSwordsman SOE did a triple point day the weekend before Christmas and a double point day a couple days later. They also did one just before the launch of F2P for DCUO and one Labor Day weekend IIRC. Sometimes you just have to pay attention because they don't put out a lot of advance warning.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 9:42AM EventVox said

I don't shun F2P games at all, yet I still refrain from spending money. The closest I ever got was with LotRo. I Bought quest packs here and there and expansions whenever my interest in the game piqued.

Other than that I remember when I was an early teenager I bought those Nexon Cash Cards from 7/eleven. My friend told me I could buy items with the NX Cash and sell them for in-game money. Pretty stupid looking back on it.

I'm still not completely against paying for things in a free to play game. Most "cash-shop" purchases are either cosmetic, pointless in my mind, or gives me some extra boost in which case I feel kind of tugged around with my wallet.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 9:46AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Really???

You are asking the cheapest faction of players in all of mmo gaming HOW CHEAP THEY ARE??? LOL

That has to be the most ironic headline ever hahah!!

If people play f2p games when they dont have time to play their favs or along with their favs each month for a break, fine. But if you specifically play f2p games just so you dont have to shell out a MEASLY 15/month - then copme on!!! You shouldnt even be allowed to play REAL mmos then LOL

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 10:08AM tangerineknight said

@(Unverified)
You should't be allowed to own a keyboard.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 10:30AM Ocho said

@(Unverified)

Measley? Really? Well, not all of us feel that these games are worth the little amount of time that we have to put into them. And have you calculated how much you've spent on your game subs total? Lets take an average game... $50 box, then $15 every month therafter, with a new $50 expansion every 10 months. Sounds fair?

1 month: $50
3 months: $80
6 months: $125
10 months (after first expansion): $235
12 months: $265
20 months (after 2nd expansion): $435
24 months: $495
36 months: $725

I agreed with you at one point that $15/month was measley, but that was before I really looked at how much I spent in a game and what I truly got from it. I easily spent over $500 on WoW. I stopped playing a long time ago and looking back, it just wasn't worth it.

Now, if someone is consciously willing to spend over $500 on a single game, thats their hard-earned money and more power to them. However, I find it offensive that you would automatically assume a financial judgement on everyone else because you made that choice. It may only take me an hour or so to make the $15, but I still don't find it a good value. You know what I DO find a worthwhile investment? Diamond earrings for my wife. Worth every penny. They cost about the same that I spent on WoW, she'll have them all her life, and they look great on her.

Its not a matter of being cheap, its a matter of being smart with your money and realizing the value for what you spend.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 10:44AM smartstep said

@Ocho

Almost any hobby will cost you much more than 500$ per 2 years.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 11:29AM Portal8229 said

@Ocho

This is why Iove EVE Online took me 4 months before I started doing well enough to pay for it in ISK. Oh and free expansions. :P

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 11:55AM (Unverified) said

@smartstep
"Other people get ripped off, we should too!"
Hahaha, wow.
As someone who primarily plays singleplayer or non-MMO multiplayer games I feel sorry for the reasonable part of the MMO crowd, I really do.
To get insulted for not wanting to get ripped off is horrible.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 12:14PM (Unverified) said

@Ocho

League of Legends has reported players spending on average $200 every 3 months.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 12:42PM smartstep said

@(Unverified)

Huh? You mad?

I did not insult anybody.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 1:02PM Ocho said

@smartstep

Haha that is true, and I will not deny that on gaming overall I spend over $500/2 years... however, that is on my entire gaming budget, systems, new games, etc. and not just one one specific game.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 1:51PM Ocho said

@(Unverified) Which is stunningly ridiculous in my opinion. If it is one thing that I will complain about the F2P market, its the bend toward P2W. People will spend $ to be able to beat other players. However, for this do we we blame the game companies? This is more of a grey area. I don't like how casinos will use psychological tricks to get people to hand over all of their money, but the person still makes the decision to pull the handle on the slot machine. I don't like how cigarettes are a known carcinogen and are still subtly advertised toward children... but you still have to whip out your wallet to buy a pack. I don't like how F2P games offer P2W options... but its still the decision of the player to buy them or not.

In this effect, I think both sides have to take some accountability. You just can't fully blame them for selling a product that people obviously have a demand for.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 10:06AM Ocho said

I usually play by the universal limit of $15/month. I will not spend more than that on any MMO, be it F2P or otherwise. Now, $15/month can buy you a lot of points, especially if you're patient and wait for the sales. In LotRO, for example, I've purchased every area, every skirmish, bags, and the cash cap removal. I've bought all my points when there was a point discount, and I've bought all the store items while they have been on sale.

Anything that is content, I have no problem purchasing... potions/gear/etc that can be found in-game? No way. I'll leave them to the fools with money to burn.

So my advice to all out there... if you're a hardcore player who is the type to spend more than $15/month on a game, just subscribe to it. If you don't have the time for a sub, F2P is a great option as you spend a lot less, and get what you want over a longer period of time.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 11:23AM DeadlyAccurate said

@Ocho That's my philosophy, too. Though I did spend a bit more the first month I played Runes of Magic. (Damn those enticing grab bags!) Otherwise, though, I've stuck to the $15/month price point.