Posted: Dec 27th 2011 1:24PM (Unverified) said

@BlackFx This comment was uprated? C'mon folks, at least uprate a comment with some actual insight instead of just a single, uninspired insult.

Jef, I think this article was spot on. This should be a big concern for both Bioware and all those currently paying for the game. My question is, how much of those purported "200 hours per class" are actually part of class-specific stories and how much of that time is side quests shared with the other classes in your faction?

Based on my time in beta, it felt like the vast majority of that 200 hours will be quests that aren't unique to a class. Thus, multiple playthroughs in the same faction will be a lot less compelling. Is the target audience going to grind through 180 hours of quests they've already seen for that 20 hours of unique story?

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 1:43PM Oskari said

@(Unverified)

Careful. I got downvoted for the same comment.

Bioware has some serious challenges ahead to keep up their momentum.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 2:41PM Borick said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified) Looks like the SWTOR fanboys are making up for their absence in the last article where we trashed this derivative hack of last decades

To me it doesn't matter whether they CAN put more voiceover into their game. It matters that they think Hollywood-style process and on-rails storytelling is innovative and worthy of investment.

This Hollywood storyboard crap is no better than sports-like, zero-sum competitive raiding.

I hope that those who want to play Choose-Your-Own-Cutscene enjoy the Hell out of SWTOR so that we can go back to designing world simulators.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 12:11PM (Unverified) said

Someone doesn't like swtor.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 1:27PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

I like TOR, but I have the same concern that Jef does. Look at the flashpoints after Black Talon/Essles. The voice acting is pretty much limited to before you enter the flash point and after you exit it, in terms of multiple choice voice options, while the voice acting inside is pretty much what happens in WoW: the boss yells at you while you're killing him.

For those that have forgotten, TOR only had a few FPs before... October? They added more, but they mentioned that they have less voice options for a reason in- it's a time consuming process. The fanboys need to remember how long it takes Bioware to crank out single player DLC in, say, Dragon Age or Mass Effect. You wait 2-3 months (sometimes longer) for 1-4 hours of play time (even for DA1, which had a largely silent main character). Multiply that for an MMO and anyone with half a brain and experience with PR spinning knows that TOR won't be cranking out dialogue-filled stories on a frequent basis.

Enjoy the story and the ride to max level, but don't expect end game to be much different from WoW. It's the same bait and switch we've been fed by all the other past theme-park MMOs.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 12:13PM Spacegrass said

Aside from expansions, I don't think Bioware will add more story content, but they won't really need to. The story is a good way to make leveling interesting and give player characters some personality, but the level 50 players will have plenty of things to do without it, such as raids, warzones and an entire planet of open-world pvp.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 12:16PM KDolo said

Everyone has opinions, and The Soapbox is how we indulge ours.

My opinion is that you are a condescending, self-satisfied prick. Will you really be pleased if BioWare fails to deliver new content? Something tells me you will.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 12:55PM rhorle said

@Jef Reahard

Is trolling readers really necessary? But the professional in "professional" blogger.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 1:33PM Jef Reahard said

• 1 heart
@rhorle

Kind of a double-standard isn't it? Anonymous folk can hurl personal insults but I can't have a little fun with a Han Solo quote? Looks like the editors agreed with you though, my comment was modded, lol.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 1:52PM Blay said

@Jef Reahard

You must either have very little common sense or very poor social skills if you think that what you responded with was acceptable as an employee of massively. It also comes off very childish to continue to poke at people here even when someone has removed a couple of your comments.

Lets not forget that your comment was down voted into oblivion and the overwhelming majority agreed with the person who called out your opinion piece. Now I could careless about the piece because I decide for myself what I like and don't like so your opinion is fine and dandy but to stoop down to the level you did to talk **** to the majority of the people who read you article it makes you look like a fool and maybe you should read your han solo quote to yourself because it seems like the only person who got riled up like a child was yourself.

Well here is to hoping massively has some standards and slaps Vettes shock collar on you or sends you somewhere else where you can abuse the users who keep the site running.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 2:03PM rhorle said

@Jef Reahard

No it isn't. As a writer you have your fun in the article you right. Not in belittling those that comment when they don't like what you write. You aren't acting as a internet nobody in this case and thus need to follow some standards.

You are already to still have fun as an official representative of Massively, and that was what this article was for since its an Op-Ed. You can also have fun in comments as long as it doesn't cross the line which posting "aww looks like someone got riled up" is. No matter how relevant of a quote you add to that doesn't stop it from being a troll response.

As someone else has said later on in the comments you could have picked so much more polite and engaging comments to respond to.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 4:56PM (Unverified) said

@KDolo

"my comment was modded, lol"

Professionalism at its finest! Look, if you can't take criticism, personal attacks or even mindless trolling , don't write an opinion piece that has comments enabled.

As much as I despise Mike Lupica's (of the New York Daily News), he has somehow convinced his editors that there be no ability to comment on his columns on the Daily News website. This way he doesn't have to get upset at the mean old internet people.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 12:17PM Spacegrass said

Also, I love how haters complain about the story, the one thing SWTOR inarguably does better than any other MMO, as if it's detracting from the game in some way. If you want to complain about something, complain about the interface; I can't deny that I'm a fanboy, but even I'll admit the interface is terrible.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 12:24PM Jef Reahard said

• 1 heart
@Spacegrass

Not sure if you meant my OP, but I did enjoy the class stories. They're the only reason to play the game imo, as otherwise it's the same old same old.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 12:49AM (Unverified) said

@Spacegrass The interface in SWTOR Is fine, it works and doesn't clutter my screen. I think people got spoiled with other games where you can move everything around til your screen looks like your UI exploded.

Course I'm running it at 1920x1080 resolution, so maybe it seems cluttered on smaller settings.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 12:22PM (Unverified) said

"Go ahead and count how many upcoming MMOs are taking the BioWare story route."

No dialogue choices, but there are high-production voice-acted cutscenes in GW2 that even this site has drawn a comparison to before:

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 12:26PM Jef Reahard said

@(Unverified)

A fair point, although I will say that I don't think Anet is placing nearly as much emphasis on story as BioWare did.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 12:41PM Joaquin Crowe said

@Jef Reahard Their story is more dynamic, at least from reading how events will play out. Centaurs attack the village -- does the village fall? Do you save it? That is a story that you're building dynamically. There are static quests too, at least as I can tell from the videos, but I think the dynamism of the zones will make everyone's character's progression much more difference than in the usual themepark rail system.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 12:44PM Joaquin Crowe said

@Jef Reahard True, they're introducing some fairly innovative core gameplay and content delivery systems instead.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 3:00PM Buhallin said

@(Unverified) Thanks for bringing up GW2. I'm sure Jef will be bashing it once it has its moment in the sun, but if you think voice actors and a few light/dark choices are going to be too expensive to maintain post-release, how can you possibly get through an opinion piece like this without mentioning what GW2 is trying to do? Fully interactive chained events where outcome changes the state of the game world, and with no subscription fee to fund it?

Unfortunate fact is, Jef is all about the sandbox - which is fine, but his view on anything that isn't is dominated by an instant bias of "It sucks." He honestly doesn't provide any real insight on whether or not Bioware can deliver on new content... he's just sure it can't because it's not a sandbox. Which makes this article a slightly reskinned version of his typical "Sandbox better because players make the content!" rants.

Someone needs to keep him reporting on the stuff he likes, cutting him loose to bash on the current big non-sandbox MMO is getting old.