Posted: Dec 27th 2011 6:20PM CaptainZoidberg said

If I had £1 for every time Joymax claimed that they were going 'bot-free' only to give up after about 2 weeks, I would be a rich man.

It's a shame. Silkroad had SO MANY problems. It was a huge grind, you could NOT get into the game due to bots (if you're complaining about SWTOR queues, try playing this game...) but at the same time, it had some really great qualities that kept me hooked all those years ago.

The Hunter / Thief / Trader system was amazing. The combat was amazing. The way 'classes' worked was awesome.

Unfortunately, I'm playing SWTOR now. If I wasn't, I would definitely play this as a warm-up for Guild Wars 2. If they could finally work on keeping bots out and fixing some of the other game-breaking problems, it would be awesome.

I don't know about you guys, but this is the first game where I actually 'enjoyed' grinding for 6 hours in a row, because it was worryingly fun. Maybe it was because I was 14-15 and didn't mind, but I am convinced that I would find the same thing fun now, being 18 and playing many other MMO's in between.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 8:47PM Ephe said

@CaptainZoidberg Same here, it was my first MMO back in the days. I loved grinding and doing jobs. It still has one of the best PvP system concepts, just too bad bots and server queues ruined it.

I'm trying out this new game and not much has changed. I wouldn't call it a rebirth, more of a number tweak you'd see on private servers. Levels 1-70 have no gold drops and you get full SoS equipment from npcs together with double XP. SP grind has also been reduced.

It's fun to play for a while if you loved the original, but investing serious time in this game is pointless. It's already swarmed with bots. You can see someone humping a wall in every grind area.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 7:41PM smartstep said

• 1 heart
This game is still going? Like seriously?

Ok it had FEW innovative things like trading that even could be incorporated into other games, but apart of that still it is / was just f2p cash grab and poor quality apart of those few nice things, so I say let it die in peace...

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 8:51PM Ephe said

@smartstep Heh. This game never stopped being insanely popular. They have a more constant and stable population than the majority of quality P2P MMOs. It's far from being dead.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 9:22PM DemonXaphan said

They are going to try this again, really??!!

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 11:08PM h4ngedm4n said

Tried the original game and was bored to tears. I think it is pretty much geared to players who enjoy the asian-mmo-grindfest. Not sure what could get changed in this remake to improve upon it.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 11:57PM Space Cobra said

Slightly off-topic Asian "thing" I noticed with naming:

I do see sequels, TV shows, and even Asian Live-Action superheroes named similar to Race Cars in this regard.

I guess they want something "racy" and "fast-paced exciting" in the name. I also note that while such car companies (other companies) do use car initials, like "GT" or "GTO" and the like, Asian go with things like "R" and "X" (I am guessing "R" probably stands for "Rally". Not sure about "X" but it could be "Extreme" or more like a crossroads desert rally or somesuch.)

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 4:08PM catweazle said

The last time I tried to play the original Silkroad online, all the servers were full unless you had a premium account !.

The Daily Grind: Should museums preserve MMOs?

Posted on Oct 1st 2014 8:00AM