Posted: Dec 27th 2011 10:29PM Space Cobra said

Wow!

I am reading these opinions in order, but these are the boldest claims yet, bit overall, optimistic for the genre at the end.

We'll just have to see. I do think it would be interesting if gamers, new and old, were to turn in their online searches toward older games that are currently out, like Fallen Earth (per your example). Actually, that would be a good thing for existing MMOs.

Still too early to say, IMO, that 2012 will "spearhead" a movement, because personally, I am seeing a few games, but nothing..."game-changing" (had to use that pun!) in the field. But, we shall see. Maybe something pops out-of-the-blue in terms of an existing project or a new one.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 3:42AM EdmundDante said

I honestly think all the commentators here have seriously underestimated SWTOR. I also think it will end up replacing WoW as king of the hill.

My two cents.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 9:14AM ScottishViking said

@EdmundDante

Yes, it's surprising that they've all erred on the conservative side with respect to SWTOR. I think it's pretty clearly moving to replace WoW...though that may take another year to take full effect.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 11:33AM scfs123 said

@EdmundDante
No asian release = No toppling WoW off the hill.

its not even a competetion when they have so many millions of players that don't even have a choice between WoW and SWTOR.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 3:23PM Space Cobra said

@EdmundDante @scfs123

Well, most of them are being conservative and hedging their bets.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see 3 million in SWTOR, but I am accounting for many folks who don't pre-order or buy a game during launch month.

Still, there is a question of "hanging onto subscribers", because not everyone likes to view a story. I definitely like to and I think many people/players do, because that, IMHO, is what has caused games to challenge the movie industry: being an interactive movie.

Most players will go through the story slow only a few will level up (barring grabbing Legacy names initially and quickly, For shame Bioware!). Also, it is something understandable by the masses, in that the IP is known. I'd like to speculate inverse relationship of Sci-Fi among the general populace vs. Fantasy among gamers/fiction fans, but I am going to have to think about it more before pushing that notion. (And I know, fairy tales get told more when one is young, but media is catching up.)

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 8:24AM TheMMOJunkie said

I personally agree with his EQ Next Predictions. Best set of predicitions imo.