Posted: Dec 27th 2011 8:36PM (Unverified) said

I think we will see MASSIVE subscription drops in WoW when the 4th quarter hits because of the fact Deathwing has been killed by so many. Pugs in LFR killed it first week. Very few will sit and stay subscribed for a full year when the farming really means nothing as a new expansion means that anything gotten will be replaced in hours. I think the number of people complaing about how they felt scammed by the Annual Pass, and how many people have dropped it, is a huge indicator Blizzard has lost touch with true gamers.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 8:42PM Malaman said

Agree about WoW and SWTOR.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 8:49PM Alpoe said

Thank you for giving GW2 the slice of day we all know it will carve for itself out of this scene. A very hefty slice.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 8:58PM Furdinand said

How successful was ToR launch really? Can a game that cost $150 million to develop really be happy with 2 million subs?

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 9:49PM Ehra said

@Furdinand

2 million players each paying $50 for the box is $100 million right there. Those two million then buying 2 month subs will make up $150 million development cost. Even with a 50% retention rate, it won't take long for a million subscribers to make up the development costs. Then you consider people that will continue to join the game which adds more box purchases.

2 million subscribers is more than enough for any MMO to be "happy."

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 10:38PM (Unverified) said

@Ehra
From a strictly "neutral" standpoint you are correct. However, considering it seems that people expected more than just 2 million, then those numbers would be disappointing.

A lot of people seemed to think it would put up numbers enough to compete with WoW. Not immediately, but eventually. But if it only gets between 1-2 million subs that puts it well behind Aion, Rift, and a lot of other MMO's it seemed people took for granted Star Wars would beat out.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 6:04AM pid said

Agree about indies. Terraria is a blast although it's not an MMO not even a MOBA, but I don't care it's fun all over the place.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 11:26AM (Unverified) said

I think you are on spot in most regards except for SWTOR.

Perhaps you are right about SWTOR in USA, but in Europe most people I know are still on the fence here, considering buying it. I know personally over 20 guys who just want to "wait a bit first". I'm thinking this is the general trend right now after semi-failures like AoC, WAR and Aion (none that I know of in europe ever played Rift). People don't want to jump heads on into a new mmo that might fail horribly for the 3rd or 4th time...

I tihnk personally that they'll all buy it after awhile. And if SWTOR expand into Asia, you can see a huge upswing here as well!

GW2 will be a hit, but I fear it is too much like WoW, and most people I know of are sick of high fantasy mmo's right now. But it will probably take another huge chunk of WoW's playerbase. The part that are not into sci fi.

TERA is still a great blank slate for me. All the tings they are talking about shouldnt be news. Here it all comes down to the amount of content! But its a sexy game, so people might sub to that as a 2nd mmo.

TSW is another black swan out there. I fear Funcom's divulgance into sharding can ruin this game (as it ruined AoC for me).I hope sharding could just die a painful and horrible death!

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 11:31AM (Unverified) said

Oh, and with Pandaria, Blizzard is truely deserves a last name: Kotick.

Blizzard Kotick will impress with D3, but only for awhile since there will be much greater competition in that segment now as compared to diablo 2.

However, in the future, Blizzard Koticks reputation will freeze, and when Titan is announced in October at KotickCon, huge disappointments will flood the internet for weeks.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 11:51AM Daemodand said

MMO as a term is losing its meaning. Perhaps IMP (Internet Multiplayer, meaning a multiplayer game that uses the internet to connect them on a server that is not one of the player's computers; so IMPRPG, IMPFPS, IMPBA, etc.) would be a more useful/accurate term.