Posted: Dec 26th 2011 3:17PM Space Cobra said

Well, if I put my tin-foil hat on, I am a bit worried about the timing of this interview, given "Marvel Heroes" is still being developed.

On the other hand, they did mention they had systems that skewed older and they do have Marvel fans in the Dev team and test groups, so there is that.

On a slightly related subject: Kids as testing groups in neat and all and it is good they ask the parents for more clarification of kid answers plus the tools to measure actual gameplay, but it is a bit sad that no one can think like a kid: Maybe it's just me and no one can truly remember their mental state as a kid. Society grows up and forgets that time and when children do something, parents get flabbergasted. Mind you, I probably am not perfect, but it's not that hard to think like a kid, especially if you remember events and the whys and where-fore-thoughs. Kids are still maturing, even if they try to appear that they are older/savy. It takes a deft touch to understand and reply back (in actions or words). Really, what I am talking about is a much bigger issue in society than testing out an MMO, so just feel free to skip the reading. ;p

Posted: Dec 26th 2011 3:53PM Mikx said

@Space Cobra What kids want is a realistic down to earth game that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots. And you win things by playing.

And it seems like they're delivering. They have customizable housing so realism is covered. The pizza goes in tummy when so hungie, which is off the wall, and it seems like you win (virtual?) cards by playing. Can those giant evil xmen robots be far behind?

Posted: Dec 26th 2011 4:42PM Dblade said

Sigh, that's not an interview. That's four soft ball questions. Here's some of mine:

1. What protections do you have in place to prevent overspending by children in the cash shop?

2. Why do you feel the need to sell so much gold that you can pay $150 for it? I mean, why would anyone need that much cash shop currency in a game designed for kids?

3. What gameplay elements do you have in place to combat addiction in younger children? When you design a game for kids do you consciously try to limit grind or is it still unchecked?

4. What justifies your games existence at all? Why is it better than just buying an offline version of Marvel Superhero Squad for a console, and playing that with your kid? Granting the problems of safety, addiction, etc?

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 11:16AM nimzy said

I'm surprised they didn't bring up LEGO Universe. Then again, it's Gamasutra, and they stay away from anything resembling a difficult question.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 1:04PM SgtBaker1234556 said

One thing that gets constantly overlooked while designing to Kids is localization. With adults you get away with having your entire game in English

Not so easy with kids. If you want a global market for your game and you want to target it to 7-12 y.o bracket you need to make sure the voiceovers and texts are localized. Or you need to target your game to older audiences. Most MMO studios don't get this.

What's even better - if they wanted to, they could crowdsource a lot of the translation work. I play Wizard101 and Freerealms occasionally with my kids and I wouldn't actually mind translating the resource strings, if they were easily available to me (think along lines of "addons").