Posted: Dec 24th 2011 12:39PM HiroProtagonist7 said

"This is probably completely fluffy and ludicrous, but wouldn't it be cool if Turbine added an optional character growth system?"
Who cares if it is? Awesome idea - what if they implemented a dungeon creation system like EQII did, but instead of creating dungeons, they tailored it to letting players create the back story/RP story of their character using those tools?

They could open it up for other players to see and they could even let RP (or any) guilds portal between their members' stories.

Give the author control over the rules such as invite-only and leaving PvP on so people could actually Role Play their characters graphically in a safe environment with people they like. I think my guild would probably sub 100% to a game with an area or "phasing" where we could have full time PvP with full loot turned on but being able to decide who gets in. We always field multiple factions in these games - it'd be cool to interact with each other and other like-minded people.

If they allowed for possible large instances or even whole-world phasing from the get go, they may find that certain players' or guilds' areas become large because of effective self-policing of griefers - players could ban griefers from their areas. It wouldn't be like the developer was kicking someone from the game, but the social misfits would experience consequences in the form getting themselves kicked from cool places.

hmmm - from chooseable back-stories to instanced player created content to player controlled gated phasing as a solution to griefers. Quite a leap I guess, but keep printing those ideas no matter how "completely fluffy and ludicrous" The industry is an serious need of innovation whether they know it or not.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 12:40PM Gryphmon said

One of the best experiences ever is reading the The Lord of the Rings and playing the game at the same time.

I would dearly love to see Dale the lake-town and The Lonely Mountain put into the game. They would be fun places to visit at the least.

This could also be done without the need of using a flashback mechanism as there is a battle and seige that takes place in those areas during the time of the Fellowship.

BTW, it was Gandalf that fooled the trolls into getting caught by the sun, not Bilbo. But it was in the Troll's hoard that Bilbo found Sting.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 1:23PM (Unverified) said

@Gryphmon I'm re-reading LotR right now and just read over the part where Frodo is exchanging news with Glóin. Glóin's description of the vibrant, expanding Esgaroth is incredibly evocative in just a short sentence or two. A magnificent city of Men cris-crossed by massive Dwarven canalworks. I always envision Moria's Water-works, but intact and transposed into the bright light of day.

I suspect we might actually go to Dale in LOTRO, though if we do it will likely be to assist in repelling the invasion of Easterlings and Orcs that Sauron sent as part of his strategy to divide and conquer the Free Peoples in the north.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 12:45PM Mister Eee said

In other MMOs, they have instances in which you can travel back in time. It would be interesting if we could do the same in LOTRO, and travel back to the time of The Hobbit book, and do quests and dungeons in that time period. That would be a great tie in with The Hobbit movies.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 1:39PM Nerves said

@Mister Eee
Yes, they already have this. They call it 'session play' - you can play as or alongside characters and events from the past. In the most recent epic book, you can play a couple chapters as grima wormtongue.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 1:44PM (Unverified) said

I'd love to see Dale and the Lonely Mountain, and Turbine have to be thinking about it. There's surely never going to be a better time to go there than when The Hobbit is due for release.

But then I'm greedy, and want them to show us all of Middle Earth. ALL of it.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 1:52PM Seffrid said

I have to admit that the trailer has brought it all back, can't wait for the films to come out!

As for the game, I still play it with two lifetime accounts, in fact I restarted on a different server this year in order to take my characters through all the storyline quests now that they are much more soloable - easily the best improvement Turbine have made to the game and a perfect illustration of how even open-world areas can be scaled to suit different playstyles.

I'm concerned, however, that I don't think I'm going to get to see Saruman without grouping up which I much prefer not to do as I like to take the storyline quests at my own pace and soak up the atmosphere rather than dashing from Mob #24 to Mob #25 etc. Then again, I haven't read the detailed write-ups on Isengard and haven't in any event passed through Moria yet.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 9:05PM BIGGIN said

@Seffrid That is the main reason I do not group up in MMORPGs. I play for the experience (not the xp) and hate the rush, rush, rush mentality many other players have. As such, I just avoid them.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 2:30PM Braiks said

@(Unverified) I've been discussing this with a friend yesterday but in the end you can only do so much in just 3 movies. There are some things out of place like humor where it's not needed but he tried to attract a wider audience and I understand that. If it was someone else I'm sure we wouldn't be talking about the movies even to this day.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 2:53PM DancingCow said

@(Unverified)

I've read the books dozens of times and I think he did a good job portraying the core story within the limited time he had to work with.

The only things I didn't like were his portrayal of Galadriel's temptation to take the ring - gaudy and over the top IMO - and their alterations to Arwen and Aragorn's story. The attempt to introduce more Hollywood'ish romance into the movies actually undermined Aragorn's character and made him less noble.

FYI for those who haven't read the books, Arwen's life was not "tied to the ring" and Aragorn did not lead an assault on Mordor to save her booty so he could have it later. He did it cos he was a noble bastard and wanted to give Frodo the best chance to destroy the ring even if that meant sacrificing his own life.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 3:37PM alucard3000 said

Not even a glimpse of Smaug?! :(

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 3:56PM smartstep said

Hobbit will be nice movie to see. Lotro on the other hand is on a slippery slope and far from it times of glory. This game is passing away.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 10:00PM gildhur said

FYI, the elves in LotRO's Mirkwood aren't Thranduil's wood-elves, they're the army of the Golden Host (Malledhrim in Sindarin) from Lothlorien. We are many miles too far south yet to meet any of the former.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 11:26PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Lord of the RIngs - Trilogy of three MASSIVE BOOKS, that were turned into three long movies.

MAKES SENSE.

The Hobbit. One very very small book, about 1/3 the size of each of the lord of the ring books. And now, is being made into three long movies?

Doesnt make sense at ALL!!! They are trying to get more out of something that does have it and by doing so, the movies will either be A) word for word of what the book reads b)adding more stuff than actually happens in the book or c) wayyyyyyy more pointless dialogue, flashbacks and backround that necessary

Just make one big book and end it. Spend the money used for part 2 and 3 of the movie and use that to make LOTRO A LOT better. As in, having more than one faction and making PVP not be an unfleshedout joke anymore.

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 12:45AM DancingCow said

@(Unverified)

There's only 2 hobbit films, not 3. Possibly they're not going to be the 3+ hour offerings we got with the LOTR trilogy which is why they've split it across two movies.

With Warner Bros (who own New Line Cinema) now owning Turbine, at least some of the money going into these films could theoretically have been poured into LOTRO.

But films are a much better bet when it comes to profit. Budget for LOTR trilogy = $281 million; box office takings = $2.9 billion. We don't know details for LOTRO but they likely didn't make much profit from LOTRO.

Pour more money into an MMO that didn't shine or into films with a proven story and director?

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 5:20AM Shadanwolf said

OP ..... thanks for a great article.