Posted: Dec 24th 2011 6:27PM Space Cobra said

I've noted your concern for FF XI in the past and I think it is still valid today.

While we could chalk up XIV's recent woes, such as re-designing the game and even the earthquake, to a redistribution of workforce from XI to XIV, there probably is something more deeper going on as you suspected.

IMO, while XIV has done many things, it still needs to be watched over to continue on this path, that still may require more resources than XI, so that means, more focus on XIV.

But, I also can't help thinking XI was/is being put into a sorta "automatic" mode (That is not the right word I am trying to think of). Basically, it is being set up to just coast along with no active development. Maybe a few Devs are working on something, but since we haven't heard of anything on that front, it's only speculation. It is easier to believe they just set XI into "neutral" and pushed it from the top of a long, gentile mountain/hill to glide down under its own power.

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 12:02AM psycros said

FFXI was ruined with the introduction of FoV - and its never recovered. Almost overnight it went from being one of a handful of party-oriented MMOs to just another theme park. Why SE thought this was the way to go is beyond me..if people wanted to play a no-challenge solo MMO, they'd play one with a more modern engine and *friendly* UI. All they needed to do was scale the difficulty down to where a party of four could tackle IT mobs - and that's it! FFXI's achille's heel was always finding six people of about the same level and the right job distribution before you could achieve anything, including level. It was a *nightmare* putting that group together and keeping it together for more than half an hour. But when you actually managed to get that party built and everyone actually knew their jobs, it was magical.

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 6:08AM Nosada said

@psycros
This. So much this.

FFXI is currently little more than a shadow of its former self. 9 out of 10 zones are empty, people level from 0 to cap in a few days and 3 zones. There is 0 incentive to create specific builds, since every player you see basically boils down to a self-healing DD. Gone are the days of eating food, skillchains, tanks, healers, pure DD's, support jobs (BRD and COR are pretty much useless), THFs who know how to SATA (or even SA in some cases) and the community has gone the way of WoW insofar that people will ridicule you for doing tough mobs when you could be grinding easy preys.

The sad thing is I've been in 3 LS in a few months that proclaim to want to go back to basic partying, yet they always end up as 10 people in gusgen and no parties >.

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 6:12AM Nosada said

@Nosada

Part of my post was eaten, so here's the rest:

I'm afraid the days of people actually wanting any sort of challenge in their MMO are long gone. It used to be that Relic Weapons were meant for the few who were willing to invest several months and a lot of gil, now you can probably get a Maat's cap and most of the endgame gear in the free month if you suck up to enough people to let you leech Abbysea xp ...

The game's in a sad state and is showing no possible improvements. Still Duo'ing BST+BST and BLU+BLU is probably the most challenge and fun I'm having in any MMO in quite some time. I just wish Square would reset one server to pre-Abbysea and let us idiots who don't like to have everything handed to us have some old-school fun as well ...

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 1:25AM Yapper said

So much spam. Anyway, I don't think that moving resources from FFXI to FFXIV was a good move. I am not sure that FFXIV is even worth fixing. Just stick a fork in it and call it done and get back to fixing the issues they have created for FFXI.

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 6:23AM Nosada said

@Yapper
Agreed, what was supposed to be a great sequel to a very specific sort of MMO has made both into watered down versions of themselves. Neither game can be described as any good right now and FFXI isn't showing any signs of improvement while turning FFXIV into anything good means they have to throw out more than they're currently planning to do.

All in all, this leaves me without the things I desire most in an MMO: Single char/multiple job, heavily party based with heavily specific jobs playing very specific roles. I've yet to play a game where being jobs were as different to play as RDM is to a BRD is to a SAM is to a PLD. I also very much prefer the slower paced auto-attack combat with a few abilities that have serious recast timers forcing you to use them tactically as opposed to the spam-fest of abilities that most MMOs today seem to be.

/sigh, I miss 2006 ...

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 6:26AM Nosada said

@Nosada

"I've yet to play a game where being jobs were as different to play as RDM is to a BRD is to a SAM is to a PLD."

was meant to say:

"I've yet to play a game where jobs were as different to play ..."

I blame the painkillers ...

Posted: Dec 26th 2011 1:05PM (Unverified) said

Hmmm... how many of you have played FFXIV in the last few months? how many in the last few weeks? how about days? XIV feels (to me) like XI did back in the day where you would seek out a party and go and XP. While the end game content isn't to the standard of other MMOs the process of getting there is in place.

I suspect at some point if SE wants to develop XI further they will have to drop PS2 support all together. There are just too many restrictions.

on the XIV front, I think they are developing ver 2.0 to be closer to XI, making it more of a truer sequel. If at one point in time XI is turned off, players have an easy game to transition into with a new experience.

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM