Posted: Dec 24th 2011 6:08PM Space Cobra said

Lot to absorb in the article and changes.

But two things first:

Good Luck to Brendan Drain. I didn't even know the guy had "left the building"! Quite the surprise, but well-deserved. Maybe I'll go on over under my STO name and bug him on the forums, if I ever make it back there again.

As for the Star Trek vs. Star Wars....well...hmm...In a way, you are right about the "Us vs. Them" mentality, which I (and my friends at least) don't share. We like both franchises just fine and I think most fans are the same. While we can argue if the Enterprise could square off against the Death Star or even meet Doctor Who or whatever, real Sci-Fi fans, I would hope, just take it all in. There will always be people preferring one over the other, it's natural.

But Cryptic's response does sorta smack-gob into their actions (and others). Remember: They also released the "Unleashed" archetype in CO. I am thinking, Cryptic is just being a combo of Sci-fi fans, like I stated, and game players. They released this parody here and thought every thing would be fine. There are examples of fans going "overboard" with their interests and treating things too seriously and, I feel, this is one of those times (again "Us vs. Them"). Heck, I've noticed a few game developers of other companies commenting/playing on SWTOR, even though it is the competition.

Pop-Cultural references will always leak through in these instances, especially that we are on the internet now. You got your Skyrim, "Shot in the knee" thing, your WoW picking up several things, your LotRO also picking up several things, your cheeseburger-eating-cats-that-weild-lightsabers-cutely....it's just all mixed up. That's fine and natural for me, but some folks are "purists" and "serious". While I do find that many of these folks tend to be "young" it's not just limited by age.

I sorta wish more people could look inside themselves and examine there positions. Sure, don't have Picard waving a lightsaber and applying for a Jedi, but small infractions (this lasts only one holiday event) are forgivable IMHO.

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 3:57AM stealthrider said

@Space Cobra

Pop culture references do indeed leak through, even in SWTOR. Despite BioWare claiming to not want any in their game, there are a few hidden around. Mostly in area descriptions/names, like the "Desert of the Real" on Tatooine.

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 6:50AM pcgneurotic said

@Space Cobra

Felczer, not Drain. He's still around somewhere. :D

Posted: Dec 26th 2011 2:09PM (Unverified) said

@Space Cobra Just goes to show that if you kiss a dev's arse enough, they will give you a job. The coverage of STO on massively has never reflected the prevailing views of the community. Even long time pro-cryptic lifers are on the outs with the game right now.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 6:27PM J45neoboy said

Wow, the way the new author writes makes me actually want to play the game.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 11:04PM DeyvidKDF said

qaHoy'! majQa'! batlh bIqon!

Congratulations Terilynn! I have been a huge fan of your other projects and I look forward to reading and supporting your work for the Captain's Log and Massively!

Thank for the great introductory article! Season 5: Call to Arms and the Holiday Event has sparked a lot of discussion, debate and controversy and I'm sure that will continue until and beyond the transition to Free-to-Play.

Cryptic and Star Trek Online have been going through a difficult time recently and while there are legitimate gripes for those inclined to complain, at the same time Cryptic has been making some significant improvements to STO and the future looks bright.

I like the homage to SW:TOR and the "lightsaber" weapons. At first I wasn't sure what I thought of it, but in the end it's a fun little nod to the "other" franchise and the "other" big MMO in our beloved sci-fi genre. I am not upset by this just as I was not upset by the "Tron" effect of the Aegis ship equipment set. As long as they don't go overly crazy with it and it still feels like Trek overall, I like that they are including small nods to other beloved sci-fi franchises and presenting it in a Trek-style.

Keep up the great work Terilynn! Can't wait for the next edition of the Captain's Log!

Qapla'!

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 3:02AM Azules said

Congrats on your new post, Terilynn. Great article, too. I'm actually feeling hungry for some STO again after that.

I am posting this on Christmas morning, wearing my new Tactical Bathrobe. (fuck yeah).

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 11:40PM Davevis93 said

Congrats and Good Luck on your new Assignment! Though I am wondering if Terilynn will be the new STO live streamer or if that LS is over.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 4:54PM Sam not Spam said

As a lifer I'm quite happy with the changes, have been playing even more recently, and have several friends I plan to try to recruit come F2P. The Winter box thing was a nice present for some of my friends - bought a couple and emailed them in-game, with one friend getting a Jem'Hadar ship (she was grinning ear to ear). I recently discovered how to gift points too, so that was another plus (and one I wish more games had the option to do).

All in all I'm feeling peachy about STO ^_^

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 8:20PM Ocho said

Congrats Terilynn! Cheers to all the Captain's Logs we will be reading in the future and cheers to the future of STO. May they both be great! You rock.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 9:15PM Yukon Sam said

I enjoy Star Trek, Star Wars and STO just fine. I'm holding off on SWTOR because I've got a beef with LucasArts and I've got too many games on my plate as is.

And now I covet the glowy bat'leth. Live long and may the Force be with you.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 11:01PM Joebrother said

A very well wrtiten article. I don't think it was too biased for or against STO devs.

As for the last piece about star wars, my feeling is this:
We ask for them to give us more Star Trek stuff and instead we get Star Wars stuff.
The only true Star Trek stuff I feel we have gotten is the DOFF system.
I love star wars and play many of the games (not SWTOR because i'm poor) but I also know what Star Trek feels and looks like. Its not Star Wars. The fact that I feel they have given us very little in the way of true Star Trek should tell you why I do not care for thei rhomage to Star Wars. I wouldn't mind it as much if I felt this game was more Star Trek.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 2:12AM Vulture said

It's nice to see that glossing over the deep disappointment and anger that a hefty portion of STO players feel towards Cryptic & PWE isn't going out of style.

A minority has warmed to the devious, anti-subscriber, and anti-thematic dilithium economy and the rest simply have no choice. The same goes for those tacky bug ships. People existing alongside something because there's no ingame alternative is not success, it is a slap in the face to the playerbase.