Posted: Dec 24th 2011 8:54PM Mikx said

The Hubris is strong with this one.

Speaking strictly about PC games, Everquest, Minecraft, Civilization, Master of Orion, Dune, Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Doom, Half Life, Deus Ex, Battlefield 1942, Monkey Island/Day of the Tentacle & etc, Sim City & Sims, Diablo, GTA3, Kotor, Ultima, Fallout, the early DnD games, Morrowind, Thief, Wing Commander, etc, are all more important and will all be more influential. And those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

When Bioware starts talking about how revolutionary swtor is, like the transition from silent to talkies, they sound like idiots. We've had videogames that talk before, fellas! And this includes your own products! Its not that big of a deal. And trying to put yourself into a box called MMO and claiming to be super awesome in that small fishbowl is pathetic.

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 2:13AM (Unverified) said

@Mikx It's obvious that singleplayer games have such features. But when it comes to MMO's, that story immersive implementation hasn't been done like that in other MMO's.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 11:39PM Poordevil said

Really TOR doesn't have to be sensational or the most ambitious game ever to be a success. It only has to be good at what it does. It needn't appeal to everyone, but if a gamer is into story, Star Wars, and a polished well made product is delivered, it should do fine.

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 2:12AM (Unverified) said

@Poordevil Good point.

Also a point that those MMO gamers who are unable to enjoy themselves anymore with traditional MMO's tend to forget.

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 6:16AM Lenn said

@(Unverified) I have never seen such a bitter and spiteful lot as MMO gamers. It really makes me wonder sometimes if we all really still enjoy playing MMOs.

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 7:39AM Rimeshade said

@Poordevil

That isn't what's being discussed here though, what's being discussed is Bioware's claim that SWTOR is "The greatest and most ambitious achievement in video game history". It isn't. I'm playing it and quite enjoy it but only because I'm bored of WoW, once GW2 and D£ and maybe even MoP come out I can't see me sticking around.
SWTOR is a basic, copy and paste mmorpg with voice acting. It's WoW with better graphics, class storylines and less activities and polish.
As an RPer it'll likely end up being the quality of RP that determines how long I hang around and that isn't a good thing to be saying as RPers are the vast minority of gamers.

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 9:16AM Mystal said

@(Unverified)

If your entire world view is such that "traditonal" means "like World of Warcraft" then you don't go back very far in the tradition.

The actual tradition of MMOs is that they were all quite different, other than having a lot of players sharing a persistent world. Now they have all become very similar, so maybe people who got used to the "tradition" of variety are tired of playing essentially the same game?

I think a lot of MMO players are just sick of seeing MMO makers put out the same old game "with a twist" and declaring their awesome new innovation.

Posted: Dec 25th 2011 10:05PM (Unverified) said

greatest achievement? i don't think so. people here have already said why.

most ambitious? if they're ambition is to topple WoW, i agree 100%. they're still going to fail miseably though.

Posted: Dec 26th 2011 12:27PM meda said

"SWTOR is 'one of the greatest and most ambitious achievements in video game history"

Whatever... (rolls eyes)

Posted: Dec 26th 2011 7:53PM thanatos465 said

Nothing like PR

This game hasnt been out a fucking week and its losing players.
Rift was able to hold onto players for a month atleast.

People who purchased SWTOR are not even finishing their free 30 days.
Sad sad game.
EA is talking about F2P with investors.

Just a terribad game.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 5:35AM Tovian said

While people may possibly be simply spreading out to lighter traffic servers, it isn't doing the overall populations any good. I made a few characters across a couple of servers incase of lengthy queues, and also decided to conduct some population tallies to get an idea of the population cap for queued servers.

Numerous tests ended up in results of 1800-1900 players hinting at a server population cap at 2000. However over the past number of days these servers have never had a queue which at first led me to believe they raised the cap to get rid of those 5-15min queue times. Sadly I was wrong and a good few more peak time population counts resulted in a new population of around 1200-1300.

I am somewhat enjoying SWTOR to a degree. It has a rich world with plenty to do, however in saying that, it is a very seriously unpolished game. The more I play, the more negative aspects I start to notice which put me off. I still can't believe that the biggest graphical issue I had during the beta was simply masked over by a loading screen for the actual release.

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 5:37AM Tovian said

@Tovian and I meant concurrent population per server

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 9:21PM Aelon said

@Tovian

2000 seems small. What did WoW have? I thought it was more like 10k+ (?)

Posted: Dec 27th 2011 9:11AM Fireborn2489 said

Do I agree with this blurb? In no way, shape or form. But I do sense the hand of EA here trying their best to insure that the game financially does well.

From what I've seen on the forums, customer support is good and the community as a whole is remarkably mature. There's been no "OMG WOW CLONE" chat in general and by and large people who don't like it are just unsubbing, which has always been the best way to send a message.

For me personally, I'm loving the game. After almost 7 years of WoW, I really felt I was done. On a dying server in a dying guild, a bunch of us have started up in Tor and are loving it. It most certainly is not one of the greatest and most ambitious developments in terms of gaming, but it has managed to make 3 of my friends who, up until previously, scoffed at MMOs take their first steps into the genre. Now they're here, they're already looking at other games available which I don't think can be a bad thing.

It's always going to be about paying your money and making your choice. I agree this press release is pretty appalling, but the game itself is anything but. It may not be innovative, but for me I'm having a lot of fun and the world feels sparkly and new.

Guild Wars 2 may prise me away, but until then I want to see what else the Galaxy has in store. I like themepark MMOs mind you, so whilst the art and design of games like The Secret World has piqued my interest, Tor is just the right game for me right now.

I get your points and I agree wholeheartedly with a chunk of you. But to be honest, if you ask me would I rather go to the theatre to see an experimental new absurdist piece, pushing the limits and all, or rather go and see a triple AAA comedy or musical, I know what I'd rather. I'm a marketer's dream.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 5:29PM tangerineknight said

Ever since Dragon Age 2 BioWare has lost it's reputation as a nigh-infallible developer, so I wonder where it gets the balls to come out with nonsense like this. Guess working with an already long established franchise helps somewhat, and where's the ambition in that I ask you?

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 9:21PM Aelon said

That is a pretty ridiculous statement.

I guess someone somewhere will believe it and buy the game though. That is the goal of PR, isn't it? :p

Posted: Dec 31st 2011 6:53PM (Unverified) said

I'm having a lot of fun in SWTOR. But: "one of the greatest and most ambitious achievements in video game history" it is not. It's an unfinished and buggy MMO with VOs.

Fix it then we'll talk.

Posted: Jan 14th 2012 1:04PM Choobacca said

For all those saying it's just another wow clone...

54:20

One Shots: Cruising for Borg

Posted on Dec 22nd 2014 10:00AM

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM